The PROFILE FEED Feature

Strider

My recent birthday got me to thinking about the old days.

Back before the format change and upgrades made to this Forum, it was a fairly easy and common process to leave a 'Comment' for a fellow member on his Profile page. If you wanted to leave a birthday message, for instance, all you had to do was click on the member's avatar name and you'd be taken to their main profile page, where their bio info, list of friends, and comments all were displayed. Type in your message in the message box and click 'Post' and you were done.

It saved time if you didn't want to go through the process of writing a PM. Just a quick welcome, hello, or happy birthday.

In fact, that's been my usual way of wishing fellow members here happy birthday. And judging from others, it seems many of you did the same.

Until recently. With the upgrades, the Comment feature has been moved from the main profile page to something called 'Profile Feed'. I still tend to send birthday messages that way, but judging by the way most members' profile feed comments seem to end abruptly in 2011, I am guessing many people here either don't know about the profile feed function, or find it cumbersome to use.

What about it? Do you like the Profile Feed? Do you even know about the Profile Feed and do you check it? Or do you wish the Comment system was like it was before...on the first profile page with everything else?

Edited thanks to TypeO...'comments' is a better term than 'messages' to use; and it differentiates between the PM system and what I'm talking about.

Edited by Strider

I guess I wasn't that conscious of it myself, because it seems like what is now the profile feed - a "wall"-type feature where people could post comments - used to be your main profile page.

Now you have to click through to it.

I like having the open comment wall right on your main profile so you and others can see remarks directly.

Actually I didn't think the Profile Feed was working anymore- soon after the latest update I went to leave a comment for a member on their page but I didn't see a box where to write anything. I have used it before (probably last year) & found it useful especially because many times you would go send a pm & it didn't go through because their inbox was full.

And speaking of birthdays- when the forum page loads I don't see the Birthday list for the day anymore (it used to be under the new topic list).

I do miss the way it was. Now it seems the messages you receive and and messages you send show up on your page, so it's hard to tell who's talking... (not that I talk to many people).

I also miss the birthday list on the main page.

And speaking of birthdays- when the forum page loads I don't see the Birthday list for the day anymore (it used to be under the new topic list).

I do miss the way it was. Now it seems the messages you receive and and messages you send show up on your page, so it's hard to tell who's talking... (not that I talk to many people).

I also miss the birthday list on the main page.

Yes, I miss having the birthdays listed on the main page below the new topics added feature, as well. It's caused me to miss or be late with birthday greetings.

Stargroves and ebk, you have to now click on the 'Calendar' heading above the Forum home page index and that will take you to the calendar where you can click on the day's birthdays.

Edited by Strider

Yes, I miss having the birthdays listed on the main page below the new topics added feature, as well. It's caused me to miss or be late with birthday greetings.

Stargroves and ebk, you have to now click on the 'Calendar' heading above the Forum home page index and that will take you to the calendar where you can click on the day's birthdays.

Good grief, that's two extra clicks. How will I survive?? ;)

Thanks Strider!