New Movies

MollyHendrix

I have never seen it before. I will probably watch it. I am running out of good TV shows and movies. I have been watching the Big Bang Theory and The Crosby Show for a long time

David Crosby has his own show? Damn, I've been missing out. ;)

Sometimes they know better,when SHŌGUN came it out they had the good sense to make into TV min-series,...

KB

They should do that with Mutiny On The Bounty. I just finished Part 2 where Bligh sails the small boat 3600 miles to Timor after Christian sets them afloat.

Now to finish the book with Pitcairn's Island.

On reflection, there is some considerable merit in having a separate thread. This one's about movies we haven't seen because they're not released yet. The other ("I've been going to the movies") should concern itself only with movies that have been released - because if they haven't been released, how can anyone have gone to see them? Maybe this is why J has concurred, and is actively posting here.

Okay, that works for me. I go out to the movies almost 200 times a year, so I just wanted clarification.

Here's a few new movies I'm looking forward to seeing...hope to see "Killer Joe" sometime in the next few days. My godson wants to go...he just turned 17, so he's safe. Barely, hehe.

This next one is a documentary so bizarre and strange, it has to be true. It happened in Texas.

From the makers of "Baraka", another feast for the senses...with music by Lisa Gerrard and Michael Stearns:

I'm going out to see a movie tonight to get out of the heat...I'll be seeing the new Ron Fricke "Samsara". Ron Fricke is the guy responsible for "Chronos", "Baraka", and "Koyaanisqatsi". "Samsara" promises more of the same, judging from the traler.

Looking over my stash of chocolate...betteremily, which of the three should I bring?

post-1470-0-78297400-1344389054_thumb.jp

^^^

It's about time. That Red Dawn remake has been finished for ages and been in limbo for some time. Which usually doesn't bode well.

Still have a strange sentimental attachment for the original Red Dawn.

I'm not sure if I'd heard of it or not. It's been ages since I last watched Red Dawn (a movie that holds a certain fondness for me as well) but the first thing to come to mind is the golden age of the VCR and just how many movies I rented back in the 80's. For whatever reason I wasn't much of a movie goer past The Dark Crystal (1982). However, when I purchased my first VCR circa the mid-80's I rented a shitload of movies. Part of it was just to catch up on what I'd missed, the rest was just the plain convenience of it. I don't think I attended another movie at a theatre until Batman came out in '89 which was soon followed by Jurassic Park (1993) by which time I'd become a regular movie goer again. It's funny to think about it now but I recall a time when it was feared that the advent of VHS recorders/players would kill the movie industry (at least as far as attendance). The television industry was also concerned but just look at how much that has changed. For me, there's always going to be a move I either can't wait to see on DVD or that lends itself better to the big screen. You can have the best home theatre set up on the planet but nothing tops seeing a movie in an actual theatre (at least for me)

Remake=Bullshit.

Since you seldom elaborate beyond an emoticon or vaguely worded responses I'm not sure if you mean remakes in general or if you mean this one specifically but if it's the latter, it's really hard for me to make a judgement call on an entire movie based just on a 2:32 trailer. It's technically not a remake but I had similar reservations about Rise of the Planet of the Apes last summer. Nothing will ever top the first three original movies (especially the first one in the series) but at least Rise of the Planet Apes was a worthy successor, unlike Tim Burton's "reimagining" of Planet of the Apes. He did an outstanding job special effects-wise with the apes but beyond that, that movie was pretty fucking atrocious.

I'm not sure if I'd heard of it or not. It's been ages since I last watched Red Dawn (a movie that holds a certain fondness for me as well) but the first thing to come to mind is the golden age of the VCR and just how many movies I rented back in the 80's. For whatever reason I wasn't much of a movie goer past The Dark Crystal (1982). However, when I purchased my first VCR circa the mid-80's I rented a shitload of movies. Part of it was just to catch up on what I'd missed, the rest was just the plain convenience of it. I don't think I attended another movie at a theatre until Batman came out in '89 which was soon followed by Jurassic Park (1993) by which time I'd become a regular movie goer again. It's funny to think about it now but I recall a time when it was feared that the advent of VHS recorders/players would kill the movie industry (at least as far as attendance). The television industry was also concerned but just look at how much that has changed. For me, there's always going to be a move I either can't wait to see on DVD or that lends itself better to the big screen. You can have the best home theatre set up on the planet but nothing tops seeing a movie in an actual theatre (at least for me)

>Since you seldom elaborate beyond an emoticon or vaguely worded responses I'm not sure if you mean remakes in general or if you mean this one specifically but if it's the latter, it's really hard for me to make a judgement call on an entire movie based just on a 2:32 trailer. It's technically not a remake but I had similar reservations about Rise of the Planet of the Apes last summer. Nothing will ever top the first three original movies (especially the first one in the series) but at least Rise of the Planet Apes was a worthy successor, unlike Tim Burton's "reimagining" of Planet of the Apes. He did an outstanding job special effects-wise with the apes but beyond that, that movie was pretty fucking atrocious.<

Now tell me,which remakes/reboots and bullshit were better than the originals?Let's stick with the 20th&21st century's for now,...which version of the 10 Commandments is your favorite?King Kong?

Red Dawn is NOT a remake?The villains have changed but not the premise?

Shall we go on?

I missed the part where I said Red Dawn wasn't a remake. Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying about Rise of the Planet of the Ape which I said is technically not a remake. As for what remakes are better than the originals, I didn't say anything about that either. I do appreciate you elaborating on your original comment though. At least I think that's what you're doing other than maybe losing your cool over something you misread.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG!!!

Sorry for the teen-speak but in this case, it's warranted.

This movie looks so friggin' awesome...it's based on a book about bootleggers in Franklin County, Virginia during Prohibition. Nick Cave(!) adapted the screenplay(and contributed to the score) and Check Out That Cast! It opens today and I think I'll be hitting the late show after work. It's called "Lawless" and here's the trailer:

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a couple new movies that I definitely want to see.

1. "Looper" starring one of my favourite young actors, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis.

2. "Argo", a Ben Affleck-directed thriller based on a little known part of the Iranian hostage crisis...Bryan Cranston, Alan Arkin, John Goodman round out the cast.

Archived