Pep Guardiola

weslgarlic

The English Premier League's elite have suffered a painful reality check after Pep Guardiola, the most coveted coach in world football, turned his back on a prospective move to England and was confirmed as the next manager of Bayern Munich.

The former Barcelona coach, who is on a year-long sabbatical in Manhattan after leaving Camp Nou last summer, has agreed a three-year deal with the Bundesliga club and will replace Jupp Heynckes on 1 July. A number of Premier League clubs had considered moves for Guardiola at the end of the campaign, principal among them Chelsea, who are under the interim stewardship of Rafael Benítez, though Bayern's speed off the mark has seen those ambitions dashed.

The 41-year-old's decision has effectively thrust José Mourinho, with whom Guardiola endured a fractious relationship in La Liga while in charge of Barça, into a stronger negotiating position should he end up leaving Real Madrid at the end of the season. Though Chelsea are expected to sound out the Portuguese as they seek a permanent successor to Roberto Di Matteo, they could find themselves competing for his signature with money-flushed Paris Saint-Germain and possibly even Manchester City, for all that the Premier League champions retain faith at present in Roberto Mancini.

Guardiola won three La Liga titles and two European Cups, together with two Fifa Club World Cup titles and two European Super Cups, in a glittering four-year spell in charge of Barcelona after replacing Frank Rijkaard in 2008. The 13 trophies won in that time established him as the most successful coach in the club's history. He also has admirers in the hierarchies at Arsenal and Manchester United and had been contacted by Milan and Roma in Serie A, with Bayern's success in luring him to the Bundesliga a considerable coup. "There were contacts with clubs which were close, and others which were put on hold until a decision was taken," said his agent, Josep Maria Orobitg. "He chose Bayern because of all the teams from which he had offers it was the best."

The Catalan will become the highest-earning manager in the club's history – it has been mooted that he struck a separate sponsorship deal with Adidas, Bayern's kit supplier – at around €10m (£8.3m) a year, a figure he might have eclipsed at any of his other suitors, with Chelsea having made their admiration clear last March and in the summer.

Yet Guardiola appears to have been attracted by the similarities between Bayern and Barça, both of whom thrive essentially on bringing players through their youth system and relying on their managers to oversee the first-team set-up, with others charged with recruitment.

Contact had first been made with Guardiola's brother, Pere, last summer when he was approached by Bayern's sporting director at the time, Christian Nerlinger.

That was politely rebuffed, as was the inquiry from Chelsea before the appointment of Di Matteo on a full-time basis, as the coach was intent on enjoying six months with his family in New York before addressing where his future lay. The deal with Bayern was signed before Christmas and confirmed on Wednesday.

"Pep Guardiola is one of the most successful coaches in the world," said the Bayern chief executive, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. "We are sure that he can make not just Bayern but all of German football shine. We are very pleased that we have managed to convince someone who was coveted and contacted by many top clubs to come to Bayern." Heynckes, who had steered Bayern to a nine-point lead in the Bundesliga at the start of the winter break – in his third spell at the club – had already indicated his intention to retire when his contract expires on 30 June. "Only someone of the calibre of coach Pep Guardiola could be considered an adequate replacement for Jupp Heynckes," said the Bayern chairman, Uli Hoeness.

Although City, United and Arsenal boast respected and established managers at the helm, Chelsea are preparing to re-enter the market for a permanent successor to Di Matteo. The club's support have made it clear they are unlikely ever to accept Benítez, whose record might normally make him a candidate and who is contracted until the end of the season, given his previous ties to Liverpool, though the process of unearthing alternatives will begin most likely after the closure of this transfer window.

Mourinho, whose future at Real Madrid is in doubt, will be considered and the credentials of Michael Laudrup at Swansea, Diego Simeone at Atlético Madrid and Borussia Dortmund's Jürgen Klopp will also be assessed.

I think Pep is the real deal but his time with Bayern may prove differently. Tbh, with the way Abramovich runs his ship, there's no way I could see him, or any manager for that matter, enjoying his time at Chelsea.

I think Pep is the real deal but his time with Bayern may prove differently.

One thing that can't be refuted is that Barcelona team have really struggled without Pep this season - the stats don't lie:

Barcelona: top of La Liga having played 19 games of which they have won 18, drawn 1 and lost 0

One thing that can't be refuted is that Barcelona team have really struggled without Pep this season - the stats don't lie:

Barcelona: top of La Liga having played 19 games of which they have won 18, drawn 1 and lost 0

I take it you mean that Barsa's success under Pep was all down to the players and not a whole lot to do with his ability as a manager. You could be right about that and as I said, his time at Bayern should give all of us a better idea if he really is the buisness or not. That said, many of the current Barsa team were brought into the side by Pep and it was he who took them to the level they're presently at. Barsa's league form this season, just tells me that Villenueva has been smart enough to leave well enough alone.

I take it you mean that Barsa's success under Pep was all down to the players and not a whole lot to do with his ability as a manager. You could be right about that and as I said, his time at Bayern should give all of us a better idea if he really is the buisness or not. That said, many of the current Barsa team were brought into the side by Pep and it was he who took them to the level they're presently at. Barsa's league form this season, just tells me that Villenueva has been smart enough to leave well enough alone.

Pep inherited a pretty decent side from Frank Rijkaard; a team which in Rijkaard's second year won La Liga and in his third did the La Liga/Champions League double. It was Rijkaard who introduced Xaxi, Iniesta & Messi to the side and reintroduced the "tiki-taka" style of play. In Rijkaard's fourth season he lost the La Liga crown to Capello's Real Madrid (the teams were joint top, Barca lost on head-to-head results) Rijkaard was fired and in came Pep. Sure Pep played his part in their further success, but I think the foundations and core group of players were already there. I'm just saying that Pep's role in the Barcelona success of the past few years may be slightly inflated. I guess time will tell.

Pep inherited a pretty decent side from Frank Rijkaard; a team which in Rijkaard's second year won La Liga and in his third did the La Liga/Champions League double. It was Rijkaard who introduced Xaxi, Iniesta & Messi to the side and reintroduced the "tiki-taka" style of play. In Rijkaard's fourth season he lost the La Liga crown to Capello's Real Madrid (the teams were joint top, Barca lost on head-to-head results) Rijkaard was fired and in came Pep. Sure Pep played his part in their further success, but I think the foundations and core group of players were already there. I'm just saying that Pep's role in the Barcelona success of the past few years may be slightly inflated. I guess time will tell.

Yes to the first part of your post and I agree, he'll have to prove himself at Bayern. The thing is, the top clubs in Britain and Europe all have a decent squad of players so no good manager at any of those clubs should have too much of a problem unless, he loses the respect of the players he has or, the club isn't prepared to fork out the cash to buy players. Not sure there are many truely great managers left in the game these days.

Good to see he wasnt just interested in the size of Romans or the old Shieks wad and actually took a job he could be allowed to build a significant legacey in.

I'm guessing both him and the speical one have an eye on replacing Fergie in 2-3 years time.

Good to see he wasnt just interested in the size of Romans or the old Shieks wad and actually took a job he could be allowed to build a significant legacey in.

I'm guessing both him and the speical one have an eye on replacing Fergie in 2-3 years time.

Yes, it was good to see and imho, very sensible of him too. Roman is in a cost cutting mood at the moment and for a young manager like Pep looking to enhance his CV...the Chelsea job looks like a bit of a death trap. Mind you, I think it's a death trap even when Roman is in the mood to splash the cash :lol:

Yes to the first part of your post and I agree, he'll have to prove himself at Bayern. The thing is, the top clubs in Britain and Europe all have a decent squad of players so no good manager at any of those clubs should have too much of a problem unless, he loses the respect of the players he has or, the club isn't prepared to fork out the cash to buy players. Not sure there are many truely great managers left in the game these days.

He will have to prove himself anywhere he goes but it's not like he's going to a Liverpool/Arsenal or a Tottenham. Bayern were runners up in the league and runners up in the champions league only last year.

He will have to prove himself anywhere he goes but it's not like he's going to a Liverpool/Arsenal or a Tottenham. Bayern were runners up in the league and runners up in the champions league only last year.

Yes they were but clearly, their ambition is to win it and they think Peps the man to deliver it .

• 3 months later...

NEW CLUB 4 OLD CLUB 0 .....LET'S HOPE HE COMES TO MAN UTD WHEN FERGIE CALLS IT A DAY

Or when nature calls it a day for him. Unless of course he intends to live on in perpetual "Fergie time" and I wouldn't put it past him.

Archived