Typewriters

redrum

Anyone out there still use a typewriter? I found a 1940's Royal at the thrift store for $5 (seen them go for $1200) and I love using it and I love the way the keys smack the paper and how your fingertips tingle a bit after typing a long letter. Mine needs a little work as sometimes it will skip a space plus I need a new ribbon and a manual. It weighs about 20 lbs. and I believe Hemingway also used this model. And don't forget to get some 'White Out'. :^)

royalkmm.jpg

Yes there is a romantic sound and look to the old machines. They are beautiful too. No doubt they are worth quite a bit but try selling it - online sales boards won't bring what they are worth, finding a collector is the only way I think. I have a really old Underwood from the 20s or 30s. It was my ex-mother in law's. The last time I used it we were staying with her during a move back from the coat. I had to submit a final paper at university and it took forever. I remember my fingers ached after and they keys would stick as I type fast. I've inherited it now, and it's become a very heavy sculpture.

That's a nice looking typewriter.

I still use an electric IMB like I used in high school. There are some documents that need to be typewritten . Not everything can be processed on the computer. Most of the people that pass through the office when it's in use gives a sarcastic comment in asking what is that machine we're using

Yes there is a romantic sound and look to the old machines. They are beautiful too. No doubt they are worth quite a bit but try selling it - online sales boards won't bring what they are worth, finding a collector is the only way I think. I have a really old Underwood from the 20s or 30s. It was my ex-mother in law's. The last time I used it we were staying with her during a move back from the coat. I had to submit a final paper at university and it took forever. I remember my fingers ached after and they keys would stick as I type fast. I've inherited it now, and it's become a very heavy sculpture.

I always like to see the old movies like 'The Apartment' where a hundred people are pecking away on typewriters in a big office. :^)

I doubt I'd ever sell this one but I may have it serviced down the road sometime. I think my fingers have actually gotten stronger from using it compared to the wimpy pressure on a computer keyboard. :^)

That's a nice looking typewriter.

I still use an electric IMB like I used in high school. There are some documents that need to be typewritten . Not everything can be processed on the computer. Most of the people that pass through the office when it's in use gives a sarcastic comment in asking what is that machine we're using

That isn't mine but it does look good. I never used an electric but I do remember the TV ad where one model could go back and erase an error.

I was always amazed at the one with the round head that could type forward and backwards like a bat out of hell. Gimme that old time technology any day. :^)

I always like to see the old movies like 'The Apartment' where a hundred people are pecking away on typewriters in a big office. :^)

I doubt I'd ever sell this one but I may have it serviced down the road sometime. I think my fingers have actually gotten stronger from using it compared to the wimpy pressure on a computer keyboard. :^)

I have an old electronic typewriter too, the predecessor to the computer. It has a little window that you can see what you type scrolling for about two words - quite funny. The Apartment, yes that's a great classic! I love watching some of the old 50s and 60s classic films. It's amazing to remember what life was like before every kitchen had a zillion appliances and cars had personality.

I have an old electronic typewriter too, the predecessor to the computer. It has a little window that you can see what you type scrolling for about two words - quite funny. The Apartment, yes that's a great classic! I love watching some of the old 50s and 60s classic films. It's amazing to remember what life was like before every kitchen had a zillion appliances and cars had personality.

Yep, those old machines are amazing. :^)

I remember the machine they used in "Bullitt' (teletype?) where they waited and waited for a pic to come through. What a racket it made. :lol:

Indeed! Found it at a garage sale for $5 maybe 20 years ago. It's called an "Underwood", it's an old black unit with gold colour on the trim.

I'm thinking of sending mine to Rick's Restoration in Vegas. I'd love to see it look and work like new.

He'd probably charge about $500 I'm thinking.

Archived