Did Jimmy meet Hendrix?

I understand what you mean, however I can't see why he wouldn't say he saw him in the nightclub in both interviews as it was relevant to both question

It's not relevant when asked "did you ever see Hendrix play?" or "did you ever perform with Hendrix?" Page has only ever claimed to have had a brief encounter with Hendrix - at Salvation - and it was one that fell short of meeting him.

It's not relevant when asked "did you ever see Hendrix play?" or "did you ever perform with Hendrix?" Page has only ever claimed to have had a brief encounter with Hendrix - at Salvation - and it was one that fell short of meeting him.

So why in 1974 did Jimmy say he had "met" him?

Well, because he "did", as in "I did run into him at a nightclub in New York City once but he was really out of it so I didn't approach him".

You must be playing to a crowd; you can't possibly be this pedantic.

Not being pedantic at all, if you see someone it does mean you've met them at all.

Jimi Hendrix told one of them .. I think it was Peter Grant ... that John Bonham "had a foot like a jackrabbit"

I remember reading that Jimmy never met Hendrix.

... In the book John Bonham A thunder of Drums (page 132).. Author Geoff Nicholls wrote...

"even an astounded Jimi Hendrix commented to Robert Plant one night "that drummer of yours has a right foot like a pair of castanets".

Maybe it was a Band Of Joy gig.. I remember reading the jackrabbit comment too.

Not being pedantic at all, if you see someone it does mean you've met them at all.

Two people - in this case world famous guitarists - in the same social setting with one purposefully electing not to approach the other due to the other's apparent distress/personal circumstances at the time have arguably met to a degree. To suggest otherwise is to be pedantic.

I originally posted this in a previous thread started back in December 2012:

Jimmy's comments in the recent issue of Rolling Stone further substantiate something he said years ago:

Did I ever meet him? I did actually go into a club in New York called Salvation, and he was there, but he was totally out of it. He didn't really know who anybody was -- he was barely conscious. Somebody was just kind of holding him up. It is just kind of a shame that I never really had a chance to talk with him or hear him... I heard his records, naturally, but it would've been a thrill to see how he worked things out on stage. That's quite another ballgame, as you know. -- Jimmy Page

--------------------

I'm fairly certain the encounter above occured in October 1969 while Led Zeppelin was staying in New York for several nights.

Salvation was located in Greenwich Village, as was Jimi's apartment, and he only played twice with Gypsy Sun and Rainbows following their Woodstock Festival in August. One of those gigs was at Salvation. Apparently, he was there quite a bit during this time.

Hypothesis:

On October 17th 1969 Eugene Mcfadden took over as Jimi Hendrix's manager. This is three days prior to Jimmy Page's return to New York for two days off. On the night in question, a stressed out Jimi Hendrix has gone to Salvation to try to relax. He's been under enormous pressure since his last public performance three months prior (at Woodstock). His band was breaking up and he's now under new management. For these reasons, among others, he's not in good condition when Jimmy Page encounters him.

• 4 years later...
On 2/19/2013 at 5:29 AM, SteveAJones said:

I originally posted this in a previous thread started back in December 2012:

Jimmy's comments in the recent issue of Rolling Stone further substantiate something he said years ago:

Did I ever meet him? I did actually go into a club in New York called Salvation, and he was there, but he was totally out of it. He didn't really know who anybody was -- he was barely conscious. Somebody was just kind of holding him up. It is just kind of a shame that I never really had a chance to talk with him or hear him... I heard his records, naturally, but it would've been a thrill to see how he worked things out on stage. That's quite another ballgame, as you know. -- Jimmy Page

--------------------

I'm fairly certain the encounter above occured in October 1969 while Led Zeppelin was staying in New York for several nights.

Salvation was located in Greenwich Village, as was Jimi's apartment, and he only played twice with Gypsy Sun and Rainbows following their Woodstock Festival in August. One of those gigs was at Salvation. Apparently, he was there quite a bit during this time.

Hypothesis:

On October 17th 1969 Eugene Mcfadden took over as Jimi Hendrix's manager. This is three days prior to Jimmy Page's return to New York for two days off. On the night in question, a stressed out Jimi Hendrix has gone to Salvation to try to relax. He's been under enormous pressure since his last public performance three months prior (at Woodstock). His band was breaking up and he's now under new management. For these reasons, among others, he's not in good condition when Jimmy Page encounters him.

Never got round to thanking you for this clarification.

P.S I still don't think I was being pendantic :lol:

They were in the same club, but not at the same time, in response to the OP. Are you familiar with Hendrix's live career, live recordings, and recording schedule? From 67 he was touring or beating himself up in the studio. 68 he was already getting too big for places like Fillmore and Winterland. 69 he was playing massive sold out arenas, Woodstock, not to mention the Jimi Hendrix Experience imploding, and in 1970 festivals like Atlanta Pop (great must-have DVD of latter Jimi, DON'T underestimate it) and Isle of Wight, and struggling to come up with another album before accidental death. Theres no way the two would have met, unless they happened to bump into each other when Zeppelin hit the scene at places like Winterland (for example) 68-69ish. And in a club setting, I doubt Hendrix would even be in the mood in the 69-70ish days to even pretend like he knew who Jimmy Page was.

Plus, Hendrix didn't seem like the type that would have wanted to meet someone like Jimmy Page, someone hitting the scene arguably already better than he was. That wasn't Jimi's style. Just IMO.

Archived