Guitar maintenance

ScarletMacaw

So, I just bought a guitar! Along with the guitar, I bought a soft case, which I now think was a mistake--I liked the fact that it was light and cheap, but now I'm thinking about how it doesn't protect the guitar...the guy at the guitar store recommended keeping the guitar on the wall, which appeals to me in terms of space as I have a small apartment, but because I live in New York City where it is very dirty and dusty, that doesn't seem to me like a good place to put it for more than an hour or two...I'm now thinking I should have bought a hard case...how do you store your guitar(s) when you're not playing them? Also, I usually keep a humidifier going in my apt--is this a good thing or not for the guitar? (it's an acoustic).

I have three guitars that are in hard cases (a twelve string acoustic, ESP electric, and an Eppiphone Thunderbird bass), and four that just sit on stands (Schecter acoustic, Epiphone Les Paul, custom built strat, and an Ibanez bass). All of the guitars that have been stored outside of a case have had at least one unfortunate mishap, Ibanez bass took a pretty hard impact on the tone knob from something falling off a shelf, the rest have gotten knocked over (unless I could catch them, which I normally do) or had something bumped into them. I have absolutely no space in my room, so something like that is bound to happen.

They do get dusty being outside of a case. A soft case will protect the guitar from scratches and scuffs just fine, the only difference is that it won't be as resistant to an accidental impact - something falling onto it/it getting knocked over. As long as you are relatively careful around it, it shouldn't be a problem.

I know they sell humidifiers for acoustic guitars, not really sure what the rule is on that. I've never looked into it or worried about it.

Hope you enjoy your new guitar!

So, I just bought a guitar! Along with the guitar, I bought a soft case, which I now think was a mistake--I liked the fact that it was light and cheap, but now I'm thinking about how it doesn't protect the guitar...the guy at the guitar store recommended keeping the guitar on the wall, which appeals to me in terms of space as I have a small apartment, but because I live in New York City where it is very dirty and dusty, that doesn't seem to me like a good place to put it for more than an hour or two...I'm now thinking I should have bought a hard case...how do you store your guitar(s) when you're not playing them? Also, I usually keep a humidifier going in my apt--is this a good thing or not for the guitar? (it's an acoustic).

w_guitar_stand_tripod_single.jpggood stand because it can travel with.....as for your humidification question I don;t think you have to worry too much if it is out in the open. If you were to eventually get a hard sheel case and leave it in there al the time there are these "water tube like thingy's" you can get...I will send you a pic of a wall mount guitar holder

guitar%20stand%20wall%20mount%20hanger.gI use these also...just make sure you hit a stud in the wall

soft case is great if you are travelling side by side with the guitar. i think you can even strap it so its on your back....hard shell is great if you are putting the guitar in storage or stow-away where someone else is handling the guitar. Humidity is good for a guitar. You don;t want the air to dry or it will suck the moisture out of the wood and crack but it would have to be extreme. A guitar is really no different that the furniture in a home...you want the environment to be comfortable but not too too dry....My guitars, electrics and acoustics are all out either hanging on the wall or on stands. I never leave them in their cases.....plus a guitar on a stand adds to a home or room...happy pickin'!

I've got soft cases for my 2 Strats and Framus, and hard cases for my Ovation and Aria Pro II. The strats and Ovation are always kept hanging on the wall for quick access and the look cool too. Never had any neck problems with keeping them hung.

Thanks so much for the advice!

I actually have to have the humidifier for my respiratory/skin problems, so it's good to know it's good for the guitar too...My furniture has held up quite well over the years; maybe the humidifier is why...

Hardshell case-Gonna protect your guitar from just about anything within reason and you can even get some that are pretty well impervious. Hands down the best place to keep it.

Stand-Sturdier than leaning your guitar against a desk, amp or whatever, but still subject to stuff hitting it and dirt.

Wall hanger-Just a bad a idea, The whole weight of the guitar on 2 small points around the weakest spot on most guitars. Most guitars aren't perfectly balanced so it's gonna cause your neck to bow eventually and still susceptible to dirt and dings in a crowded room. Guitar Centers are the only high end guitar dealer that I've ever seen that puts their guitars on these.

Archived