Gear Used During 02 Gig?

CSH1127

A friend of mine from Mylespaul compiled this list:

First up - the tunings:

#1 LP - standard tuning down a tone to D
Gibson JPP signature Les Paul (I initially ID'd this as the Giffen LP proto-type copy, but changed my mind from later photos) - standard tuning down a tone to D
#2 LP - standard tuning at correct pitch (E)
ES350 - open G
LP custom - standard tuning at correct pitch (E)
EDS 1275 - both necks standard tuning down a tone to D
Cherry b-bender LP - DADGAD at correct pitch (D)
Transperformance LP - standard tuning at correct pitch (E) plus auto-tune craziness!

So the set, with guitar changes is this:

GTBT/RO/BD - #1 (down a tone)
IMTOD - swtich to the ES350 for slide (this is down a tone from the album, but this is the key they played it live in the '70s)
FYL - LP custom Black Beauty (same key as the record)
TU - #2 (normal pitch)
NFBM - #1 (down a tone)
NQ - #1 (down a full step from where they used to play it live, but only down a half step from the record, because the recording was slowed down by a half step )
SIBLY - #2 (unusual choice of guitar, but it seems they wanted to do it in the correct key)
D&C - JPP signature - Page used this guitar for all the bow work to keep the main guitars free from rossin (down a tone)
STH/TSRTS - EDS 1275 (down a tone)
MMH - #2 (normal pitch)
Kashmir - cherry b-bender LP (normal pitch)
WLL - transperformance LP (normal pitch)
R&R - #1 (down a tone)

I was told it was a mix of originals and new models, like y'all said. Crazy, ain't it! Must of been an emotional moment for Jimmy, using some of his original Zepp guitars. I wonder about his amps though?

A friend of mine from Mylespaul compiled this list:..

That would be me :) (Hi Jesse!)

I actually posted that list in several places, this forum being one of them, MLP being another - I still stand by it as accurate. Now that we have the Celebration Day film to freeze frame I have been wondering if anyone would pick up on something that I missed, but so far it looks like there's nothing.

As far as the query about the amps goes the simple answer is this:

There were four stacks (2x Orange, Marshall, & Petersburg). Page's pedal-board is capable of providing an individual, switchable, output to each (although I suspect one of the Orange stacks was for Theramin).

Therefore his guitar sound (leaving aside any fx) could be any combination of Orange, Marshall, and Petersburg.

However, the soundguy - "Big Mick" - was interviewed soon after the gig and he confirmed that it had been the Orange amp that had been the core of the guitar sound for most of the night.

Now it gets complicated - if you are listening to a bootleg, that's what you are hearing, but if you are listening to/watching Celebration Day then the guy who did the sound production has been interviewed and has said that he used a bunch of virtual plug ins etc if he thought he needed to. So the basic tone you hear isn't necessarily what was coming out of Page's amps.

(As if that's not enough, he apparently thought it necessary to beef up Jason's drums with a few samples!)

Anyway, there you go...

:)

Archived