Bootleggers

kingzoso

I would just like to say "Thank You" to the hundreds of Bootleggers who took their chances with the Law and the possible wrath of Peter Grant and Richard Cole if they were ever to get caught taping a Led Zeppelin concert during the Bands reign from 1968 - 1980.

I realize that the studio albums made by Led Zeppelin will always be available in some format, however, it is my opinion that the people that had the foresight, intuitiveness and courage to tape a Led Zeppelin concert took a lot of balls. I believe they deserve tons of credit for keeping the Led Zeppelin Legacy alive and well to this day (even though they probably did not know that they were recording History and Posterity).

I will post the first bootleg of Led Zeppelin that is known to exist. Thanks to whoever taped this, regardless of the sound quality. You started a trend that most Led Zeppelin fans will always be grateful for.

Led Zeppelin: December 30, 1968. Gonzaga University. Spokane, Washington...

http://youtu.be/MHyqOaA8wFE

Edited to add: The Last Led Zeppelin concert. July 7, 1980. Berlin, West Germany...

http://youtu.be/fPidk8svtmk

P.S. Thanks to the hundreds of live bootleg shows in between this First and Last one!!!

Please feel free to add any of your favorite LZ bootlegs to this topic if you have any to share. We will all be very appreciative.

Would the band be as popular as they are today if it weren't for so many live recordings?

It was pretty dire in the 1980's; Robert was off doing solo stuff that wasn't what Led Zeppelin fans wanted to hear (but in retrospect, I now really enjoy), and Jimmy and Jones made dead-end attempts at movie scoring. The Firm never happened.

I'd argue that by limiting their official releases to a handful, and letting the fans trade live shows freely, they ended up with a much more long lasting legacy then they would have had they flooded the market with product.

Would the band be as popular as they are today if it weren't for so many live recordings?

[...]

I'd argue that by limiting their official releases to a handful, and letting the fans trade live shows freely, they ended up with a much more long lasting legacy then they would have had they flooded the market with product.

To the first: Probably not.

Unsure if I agree with the second assessment -- other bands from the period have "flooded the market with product" without a noticeable drop in appreciation/fandom.

I'm sure the other way to look at it is from the band's point of view is that some recordings were not in their opinion up to their standard at the time. You have to respect any artist's wishes to control their own material.

They've been kicking themselves for a while that they didn't multi-track more often.

• 2 weeks later...

I want some more bootlegs with video,anyone??

You aren't alone! In terms of what we don't have...a lot of the MSG 1973 shows, maybe some more of RAH 1970, and Pontiac 1977 -- assuming the last has survived.

Archived