Inspired by a Zeppelin song?

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if there is a similar thread out there. I did a search and found nothing. I have not posted much as I have spent time reading through what is already here. I did want to share my story of being inspired by LZ music and, hopefully, read those of others and to get some positive vibes going! So here it is.

First, I thank my father for introducing me to LZ when I was 5 (along with the Yardbirds, Clapton, the Doors, the Who, etc.). When I turned 7 and made my Communion, my mother planned a party. I promptly asked her to cancel the party and to spend the money on piano lessons (I wanted to learn how to play LZ songs). My piano teacher told me that he would teach me “the classics.” I knew that he liked the same music as my father so I had my mother run out and buy a book of LZ sheet music. Well, apparently when he said “the classics” he meant Beethoven, Bach, etc. So I quit the lessons and taught myself to play Stairway to Heaven (mostly by listening to it over and over and over). This was the only song that I ever learned from that book of sheet music and, unfortunately, I quickly tired of hearing the song. But over the years I would go back to the piano every now and again and play along with the song just to make sure I could still play it.

Four years ago, after working for about 15 years as a nurse, I decided to go to law school. Nearing the end of my first semester I was realizing that I hated it but I was trying to just keep going in hopes that eventually I would change my mind. I remember that it was on the third day of my second semester that I came home in a pretty dismal mood. I still really hated law school but couldn’t decide what to do about it. For some reason, I remembered reading that Robert Plant was in a bad mood when he wrote the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven. So I threw the song on my stereo and sat down to open my mail. Here is the inspirational (and I swear true) part. Just as the line “there’s still time to change the road you’re on” played, I came across a post card about a Doctoral program in nursing. The next day I dropped out of law school and applied to this program.

In less than a year I will walk for my Doctoral degree and one month after that will sit for my Nurse Practitioner certification exam. I am so glad that I left law school as I love what I am doing now! So I am personally grateful to LZ for such wonderful music, not the least of which a song that helped me to refocus my life in the right direction. And just to add, yes Mr. Plant, nurses do do it better!

Cool story, Susan! Thanks for sharing. :)

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if there is a similar thread out there. I did a search and found nothing. I have not posted much as I have spent time reading through what is already here. I did want to share my story of being inspired by LZ music and, hopefully, read those of others and to get some positive vibes going! So here it is.

First, I thank my father for introducing me to LZ when I was 5 (along with the Yardbirds, Clapton, the Doors, the Who, etc.). When I turned 7 and made my Communion, my mother planned a party. I promptly asked her to cancel the party and to spend the money on piano lessons (I wanted to learn how to play LZ songs). My piano teacher told me that he would teach me “the classics.” I knew that he liked the same music as my father so I had my mother run out and buy a book of LZ sheet music. Well, apparently when he said “the classics” he meant Beethoven, Bach, etc. So I quit the lessons and taught myself to play Stairway to Heaven (mostly by listening to it over and over and over). This was the only song that I ever learned from that book of sheet music and, unfortunately, I quickly tired of hearing the song. But over the years I would go back to the piano every now and again and play along with the song just to make sure I could still play it.

Four years ago, after working for about 15 years as a nurse, I decided to go to law school. Nearing the end of my first semester I was realizing that I hated it but I was trying to just keep going in hopes that eventually I would change my mind. I remember that it was on the third day of my second semester that I came home in a pretty dismal mood. I still really hated law school but couldn’t decide what to do about it. For some reason, I remembered reading that Robert Plant was in a bad mood when he wrote the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven. So I threw the song on my stereo and sat down to open my mail. Here is the inspirational (and I swear true) part. Just as the line “there’s still time to change the road you’re on” played, I came across a post card about a Doctoral program in nursing. The next day I dropped out of law school and applied to this program.

In less than a year I will walk for my Doctoral degree and one month after that will sit for my Nurse Practitioner certification exam. I am so glad that I left law school as I love what I am doing now! So I am personally grateful to LZ for such wonderful music, not the least of which a song that helped me to refocus my life in the right direction. And just to add, yes Mr. Plant, nurses do do it better!

Led Zeppelin inspired me to learn to play the guitar. For more details, see the thread i started a couple of months ago, "What is your most meaningful personal Zep experience?"

p.s. you made the right decision. We need more NPs; we don't need any more lawyers.

I read your thread - awesome! I am jealous as I always wanted to play guitar. LZ music has certainly gotten me through some times too over the years.

Led Zeppelin inspired me to learn to play the guitar. For more details, see the thread i started a couple of months ago, "What is your most meaningful personal Zep experience?"

p.s. you made the right decision. We need more NPs; we don't need any more lawyers.

Thank you! I read some of the other posts in the above thread. Everyone has such great LZ stories. I love it!

Cool story, Susan! Thanks for sharing. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Loved the story. It's great to hear the effect that music can have on someone. I have a lot of their songs that inspire me in different aspects of my life. Some involve work, romance, happy days, sad days, family stuff, etc. There's a song for each emotion and expierence. Well, for me at least.

• 3 months later...

Well, I learned guitar for two years or so, but I just couldn't play something I wanted, like some early rock'n'roll. But I wanted to pursue with this dream. But after I discovered Led Zeppelin, it suddenly inspired me to leave the guitar and become a vocalist. And it's better! I really was the worst guitarist in the world! :))

Zeppelinesque!

Archived