CELEBRATION DAY SCREENING TONITE: I HAVE AN EXTRA TICKET

Just to remind everyone in the LA/Southern California area that the American Cinematheque is showing Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day" tonight, along with a brand new documentary on Jimi Hendrix's Woodstock appearance, which includes the complete restored performance. It is at the Aero Theatre on Montana Avenue near 14th St. in Santa Monica. I have an extra ticket for free if anyone wants it...PM me. The Hendrix at Woodstock is first at 7:30pm, then the Zeppelin will start around 9:15-9:30pm.

Double Feature!
Rock Docs 2013
HENDRIX 70: LIVE AT WOODSTOCK / LED ZEPPELIN - CELEBRATION DAY
HENDRIX 70: LIVE AT WOODSTOCK
2012, Omniverse Vision, 99 min, USA, Dir: Michael Wadleigh, Bob Smeaton

Three muddy days of peace and music, Woodstock was one of the defining events of a generation. The epochal rock festival closed with headliner Jimi Hendrix, who lit up the stage with hits like "Fire," "Purple Haze" and "Foxy Lady" as well as one of the greatest versions of "The Star-Spangled Banner” ever heard. This digitally restored live performance is preceded by a documentary about the road to Woodstock, including interviews with Hendrix band members Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox.

hendriz70liveatwoodstock_184.jpg?1367997
lil_white_arrow.gif
LED ZEPPELIN - CELEBRATION DAY
2012, Omniverse Vision, 124 min, UK, Dir: Dick Carruthers

In December 2007, the surviving members of legendary rock group Led Zeppelin - John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - reunited in honor of their old friend Ahmet Ertegun, the founder of Atlantic Records. Joined by Jason Bonham (son of their late drummer, John Bonham), the band burned through a historic 16-song set at London's O2 Arena in front of the 18,000 fans lucky enough to have won the ticket lottery (20 million people applied). This concert film documents the historic concert, with songs including "Rock and Roll," "Kashmir" and "Stairway to Heaven" in ear-shattering surround sound.

Screening formats: DCP
Aero Theatre • Sat, May 25 • 7:30pm
tickets_blu.gif share_blu.gif

Too bad you don't live in LA Dave. Guess I'll give the ticket to the first girl I see.

Do you think if I jump on a plane I can get there in time? :)

Lucky girl - enjoy!!

Man what a great night. Have fun!!

It was awesome. They had the sound cranked so loud that my ears were even ringing a bit after the show. I have now seen "Celebration Day" 5 times in a theatre and it never loses its magic and power...and I always discover something new each time I see it on the big screen. Some new detail or something in the background I hadn't notice before...like Ross Halfin lurking around the stage.

The Hendrix was revelatory, as well. I have seen bits and pieces of Hendrix's Woodstock performance over the years, from the Woodstock movie itself to the various Jimi Hendrix documentaries over the years. But I had never seen the entire Woodstock performance uncut and in the proper running order...that Jimi Live at Woodstock video that came out in the 90s was missing songs and in the wrong order.

I had heard Jimi's whole Woodstock performance before...but seeing it is a whole different thing than just hearing it. Especially on a giant screen with Jimi blown up to colossal size and with sound to match.

I will post a more detailed take on it over in the Jimi Hendrix thread.

Archived