Daltrey on Page’s contribution to the Who’s “I Can’t Explain”

the chase, on 07 Jun 2013 - 22:14, said:

I saw this interview a couple weeks ago... Roger Daltrey is so cool..

Kind of makes up for Townsend's arrogance..

There is no denying Pete Townshend's genius, but Roger Daltrey is the one who held The Who together during their heyday. He always seemed the most stable and grounded of the four men.

I saw this interview a couple weeks ago... Roger Daltrey is so cool..

Kind of makes up for Townsend's arrogance..

Townsend never seemed arrogant to me. I've heard him say he doesn't like Zeppelin but he was very respectful when he did it.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I think Daltrey is misremembering something. I'm pretty sure Page played only the rhythm guitar on that particular track. Townshend, Page and Shel Talmy themsleves have said Page did not play the solo on "I Can't Explain". From what I can say, Jimmy really played the lead guitar on "Bald Headed Woman", which is the B-side to "I Can't Explain".

Regarding the topic of this thread, I think Daltrey is misremembering something. I'm pretty sure Page played only the rhythm guitar on that particular track. Townshend, Page and Shel Talmy themsleves have said Page did not play the solo on "I Can't Explain". From what I can say, Jimmy really played the lead guitar on "Bald Headed Woman", which is the B-side to "I Can't Explain".

Given the length of time that has passed, his mistake in understandable. Still, it makes you wonder about the accuracy of rock memoirs if the people who participated in or witnessed events can't accurately remember the details. In the end, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

• 1 year later...

Archived