Forbes: What Robert Plant Can Teach Leaders

dimestoreguru

For people to even compare Robert to the Rolling Stones in a live setting is silly. The Stones are the big time - stadium, arena's, and outdoor festivals (sheds). Plant is playing clubs and theaters because that is the only size of crowd that would bother to show up for what he is offering. A "niche" artist is just hip way of saying can't pull in the numbers...

But in Plant's case the change isn't only in venue sizes but in genres and material.

But other artists of the country genre and country rock genre and bluegrass genre are bringing in bigger crowds. The same with guys like Leonard Cohen. The crowds are not there because they are passing up on what he is offering. I have said it before, and it's not an insult either, Robert is enjoying his on-going retirement party

But in Plant's case the change isn't only in venue sizes but in genres and material.

But other artists of the country genre and country rock genre and bluegrass genre are bringing in bigger crowds. The same with guys like Leonard Cohen. The crowds are not there because they are passing up on what he is offering. I have said it before, and it's not an insult either, Robert is enjoying his on-going retirement party

You and I will have to agree to disagree. As long as Plant is recording and performing in public, I'll consider him an active musician. I don't know if his performing in smaller venues is a choice or a necessity. I'd love to survey some of his audiences on this tour. I'd love to know their average age and what made them decide to buy a ticket. Is Plant himself the main draw? His backing band? The songs in his set list?

I suspect the main reason Plant is still out there performing and touring is that he loves to sing and perform. I think this is true of most old school rock singers. Why else would Rod Stewart open himself to public ridicule by doing a Christmas album? Why else is Mick Jagger touring with the Stones at age 70? None of these guys need a paycheck at this point in their careers.

On the celebrity net worth website - Sir Mick is worth $300 million. The figure seems to be consistent throughout all the other websites that keep track of this type of thing. Who knows where they get their information, or if it's true. Robert and Jimmy are listed as being in the $125 million range.

In any event, they are all filthy rich. Jonesy said in a recent live interview that on royalties alone, he did not know how he would spend all the money.

I don't think the Stones themselves set the ticket prices anyway. It is all of the middle men that do that and that's where the "need" and "greed" comes from.

I agree, if they can charge $600.00 and get it, go for it. I doubt they charge $600.00 for every ticket. If the venue is close to being sold out, the $600.00 ticket goes up for sale. I am sure we have all seen this happen to concerts we have bought tickets for at the last minute.

Someone said the average ticket was $85.00. That sounds about right.

Archived