So...

redrum

The History Channel has two different channels one is called Military History channel it has plenty of stuff on World War Two. I watch the Military History Channel everyday now that I found it.

I would rather have the military channel.

all i meant was ' lest we forget "

it's 70 years ago .... nearly all the survivors are gone ....

If you can get the dvd 'Triumph Of The Will' by Leni Riefenstal. She was a great film maker but a bit on the naive side. Watch it with the commentary as the narrator describes the Nazi's who line the streets watching the parade. It's also comical to watch Himmler doing a pigeon toed goose step. :lol:

Some neo-Nazi's in Sweden attacked by a camp survivor. They were then chased into a bathroom and had to be rescued by the police. Poor babies.

The Hitler Youth making more noise than Hitler.

post-503-0-30908500-1375402792_thumb.jpg

post-503-0-24689700-1375402807_thumb.jpg

My grandfather was in WWII (drafted). He fought at the Battle of the Bulge, so he was lucky to have made it out alive. He used to tell war stories to me, but they were always interesting or funny things, never exposing the brutality that must have been going on around him daily. My grandfather talked about how crazy the Nazi's were. He said they once captured a Nazi soldier, had him in handcuffs and people watching him with guns and he still ended up escaping and killing some people! One time, he told me about freeing these Russian guys from a concentration camp. He said they were big guys, but completely emaciated. One guy could cut hair, so they took him and another guy along with them (I think maybe he could cook or something). One of the guys would get very violent whenever he encountered Nazi's; he would tell my grandfather and they guys to let him at the Nazi's, he would kill them. Another time, some lady begged my grandfather to put her son in his suitcase and smuggle him to the US for a better life. My grandfather brought back a lot of items with him when he came back, one being a full sized Nazi flag my grandma still has folded up somewhere. I cannot imagine what it was like for my grandpa and the many other men who fought trying to live a normal life after being exposed to the horrific atrocities they witnessed. War is very psychologically damaging.

My grandfather was in WWII (drafted). He fought at the Battle of the Bulge, so he was lucky to have made it out alive. He used to tell war stories to me, but they were always interesting or funny things, never exposing the brutality that must have been going on around him daily. My grandfather talked about how crazy the Nazi's were. He said they once captured a Nazi soldier, had him in handcuffs and people watching him with guns and he still ended up escaping and killing some people! One time, he told me about freeing these Russian guys from a concentration camp. He said they were big guys, but completely emaciated. One guy could cut hair, so they took him and another guy along with them (I think maybe he could cook or something). One of the guys would get very violent whenever he encountered Nazi's; he would tell my grandfather and they guys to let him at the Nazi's, he would kill them. Another time, some lady begged my grandfather to put her son in his suitcase and smuggle him to the US for a better life. My grandfather brought back a lot of items with him when he came back, one being a full sized Nazi flag my grandma still has folded up somewhere. I cannot imagine what it was like for my grandpa and the many other men who fought trying to live a normal life after being exposed to the horrific atrocities they witnessed. War is very psychologically damaging.

That's a great story. Sadly, most of the Vets from that time have passed on along with many of their untold stories. I have read where many of the camp guards were literally torn to pieces after a camp was liberated. We cannot blame them. This is why the Germans were terrified to surrender to the Russians and the ones that were captured by them must have dearly payed for their sins.

I agree with redrum - great story. My grandfather would not talk about it at all to anyone. I worked in a nursing home years ago and one of the patients was a WWII pilot. He had the most incredibly scary stories about being shot in mid-air and having to land his plane with bullet holes and smoke coming from it. And then having to get in a new plane and go right back up again. Those guys must have had some real guts! I can't imagine being thrown into that mess at such a young age. I also can't imagine what went through their minds when they walked into the concentration camps. I think it was the Fall of the Third Reich that showed the video of the German citizens being made to walk past the camp (I think it was Auschwitz) since they denied knowing what went on there.

Thank you. I feel privileged to have been able to listen to my grandpa's stories growing up. He passed away in 2009. On a lighter note, my favorite story was one he told me about one of the guys he was in basic with (I think). Apparently, the guy had to be first in the showers and would jump in his shoes and slide across the floor. My grandpa and some of the guys nailed his shoes to the floor (or glued; I can't remember) so next time he tried it, he fell flat on his face! However, he got back up and ran to the shower. Unbeknownst to him, I think my grandpa and the guys did something to the shower so it wouldn't work and ended up screwing it up for the rest of them. I think they thought it was worth it though, because they got a good laugh! My grandpa had KP a lot for speaking his mind, but that is also where he learned to cook, and he was excellent at it!

I agree with redrum - great story. My grandfather would not talk about it at all to anyone. I worked in a nursing home years ago and one of the patients was a WWII pilot. He had the most incredibly scary stories about being shot in mid-air and having to land his plane with bullet holes and smoke coming from it. And then having to get in a new plane and go right back up again. Those guys must have had some real guts! I can't imagine being thrown into that mess at such a young age. I also can't imagine what went through their minds when they walked into the concentration camps. I think it was the Fall of the Third Reich that showed the video of the German citizens being made to walk past the camp (I think it was Auschwitz) since they denied knowing what went on there.

My brother in-law Bill Hunt on the right somewhere in North Africa with the 414th Night Fighter Squadron. He didn't fly but was on the radar and radio. I have all his negatives from the war. He survived and had a long career at Boeing.

A great film on the air war with Gregory Peck. It shows the psychological effects of fear.

post-503-0-15803800-1375489817_thumb.jpg

post-503-0-14268900-1375489992_thumb.jpg

Thank you. I feel privileged to have been able to listen to my grandpa's stories growing up. He passed away in 2009. On a lighter note, my favorite story was one he told me about one of the guys he was in basic with (I think). Apparently, the guy had to be first in the showers and would jump in his shoes and slide across the floor. My grandpa and some of the guys nailed his shoes to the floor (or glued; I can't remember) so next time he tried it, he fell flat on his face! However, he got back up and ran to the shower. Unbeknownst to him, I think my grandpa and the guys did something to the shower so it wouldn't work and ended up screwing it up for the rest of them. I think they thought it was worth it though, because they got a good laugh! My grandpa had KP a lot for speaking his mind, but that is also where he learned to cook, and he was excellent at it!

Bill Mauldin was great at depicting the soldiers who had to deal with the brass hats. Lots of humor in his cartoon drawings. Mauldin played a part in 'The Red Badge Of Courage' with Audie Murphy. Murphy was the most decorated soldier of the war.

post-503-0-13902900-1375490464_thumb.jpg

In 2010 I visited the museum of the Nazi occupation in Copenhagen. I became interested in the subject after I watched Flame and Citron, a movie which offers very realistic depictions of the period. I remember a couple of references to Dagmarhaus, although at the time when I googled the term there seemed to be very little online resources about the place. There's a book I've been wanting to read, it documents the Nazi period in both Norway and Denmark, I really haven't had the time to read the book, let alone order it, and most of what I saw at the museum I've already forgotten. There was also this other book which I was reading, but dropped halfway through, it documented emigration of Nazi cadres to South America.

In 2010 I visited the museum of the Nazi occupation in Copenhagen. I became interested in the subject after I watched Flame and Citron, a movie which offers very realistic depictions of the period. I remember a couple of references to Dagmarhaus, although at the time when I googled the term there seemed to be very little online resources about the place. There's a book I've been wanting to read, it documents the Nazi period in both Norway and Denmark, I really haven't had the time to read the book, let alone order it, and most of what I saw at the museum I've already forgotten. There was also this other book which I was reading, but dropped halfway through, it documented emigration of Nazi cadres to South America.

I also like to read about the obscure stories. So many of them escaped justice, except for one in particular.....Eichmann. I also kind of have to cringe when I see a 'Siemens' patch on Kasey Kahne's racing outfit. Siemen's used women as slave labor in the Ravensbruck concentration camp for women. They made components for the V-1 and V-2 rockets.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/Ravensbruck.html

post-503-0-36559300-1375570927_thumb.jpg

Here's a great movie that shows their real murderous intentions. Laurence Olivier, Leslie Howard and Raymond Massey. The scene with Howard is classic. Eric Portman is the Nazi leader.

post-503-0-12508600-1375743198_thumb.jpg

Just got a new iBook. So far so good.

9780688166892_p0_v1_s114x166.gif

That looks really interesting. I'll have to see if my library can get it. (I just put it on hold) Reminds me of 'The Boy In The Striped Pajamas.' One scene in that movie that stuck with me was when they showed the Nazi (viewed up through the pipe) dropping the Zyklon B through the tube and he had a gas mask on.

Klaus Barbie

http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/Holocaust/barbie.html

We all know the atrocities that the Nazis did but I find we don't know much about the crimes committed by the allies - Stalin's ghettos and the US's shooting of prisoners of war, for example. I just find that it would be fair if we all know what both sides did rather than following the "winner is right" trend.

The information is out there but you have to look for it. One incident I've read about is the bombing of Dresden and the subsequent fire storm that killed thousands of civilians. Another is the rape and sexual abuse that thousands of German women and girls endured at the hands of the Soviet Army.

The information is out there but you have to look for it. One incident I've read about is the bombing of Dresden and the subsequent fire storm that killed thousands of civilians. Another is the rape and sexual abuse that thousands of German women and girls endured at the hands of the Soviet Army.

The Russians are assholes, what can you say?

But only people in modern times would dare make the allies the bad guys.

Those bastards had to be stopped at all costs and it was Hitler and Hirohito who brought it all down on their own people.

Amon Goeth, the head of Plaszow camp. Not the suave dude featured in Schindler's List, but more a fat bastard killer.

post-503-0-94020900-1376098488_thumb.jpg

Let's not forget the Soviet Union had the most casualties during the war, a most overlooked fact. The number is estimated at over 20 million people dead. I think Russia, the Soviet Union, never recovered from that blow. Of course there was also the Stalinist period which took its toll, but I don't think the Soviets were any worse than the Nazis, all parties committed their share of atrocities. I've been reading, for example, about the internment of Serbs in Croatian camps, in places like Jasenovac, horrifying stories have been documented which are really hard to stomach.

Let's not forget the Soviet Union had the most casualties during the war, a most overlooked fact. The number is estimated at over 20 million people dead. I think Russia, the Soviet Union, never recovered from that blow. Of course there was also the Stalinist period which took its toll, but I don't think the Soviets were any worse than the Nazis, all parties committed their share of atrocities. I've been reading, for example, about the internment of Serbs in Croatian camps, in places like Jasenovac, horrifying stories have been documented which are really hard to stomach.

The Gulag's were just as terrible as some of the Nazi camps. And I wouldn't want to be gay in Russia in these times. They are assholes.

The Gulag's were just as terrible as some of the Nazi camps. And I wouldn't want to be gay in Russia in these times. They are assholes.

It would be more correct to say that some of them are assholes. The Russians are a fascinating people. On one hand, they've given us sublime ballet, some of the world's greatest literature, music and scientists. On the other hand, their political and social history is just brutal. Everything they've done to the peoples they conquered and oppressed they have done to one another at some point.

I know very few will agree with me, and that really doesn't matter, I'm aware of your own opinions, and I won't even try to persuade you otherwise. And yet with all her faults, I still long for the days when the Soviet Union was a mighty power in economics, sports, politics, science, education. Or course the period when they were an illustrious nation was brief and short lived, but it existed, perhaps in the mid to late seventies and then it all fell apart because a number of people could never adapt to the new era of globalisation that was opening up from the mid to late eighties. They just couldn't keep up because the economy, and the political system, would not adapt to the new era while society had already changed. And I agree with Disco Duck, you cannot label an entire people, 150 million strong, because of the deeds of a few amongst them, certainly a lot of people have the German nation in high regard, as hard working and industrious despite the episodes of the past.

It would be more correct to say that some of them are assholes. The Russians are a fascinating people. On one hand, they've given us sublime ballet, some of the world's greatest literature, music and scientists. On the other hand, their political and social history is just brutal. Everything they've done to the peoples they conquered and oppressed they have done to one another at some point.

Yes, I don't mean to use a broad brush. It's mostly the leaders and die hard communist's who don't want or refuse to change.

I know very few will agree with me, and that really doesn't matter, I'm aware of your own opinions, and I won't even try to persuade you otherwise. And yet with all her faults, I still long for the days when the Soviet Union was a mighty power in economics, sports, politics, science, education. Or course the period when they were an illustrious nation was brief and short lived, but it existed, perhaps in the mid to late seventies and then it all fell apart because a number of people could never adapt to the new era of globalisation that was opening up from the mid to late eighties. They just couldn't keep up because the economy, and the political system, would not adapt to the new era while society had already changed. And I agree with Disco Duck, you cannot label an entire people, 150 million strong, because of the deeds of a few amongst them, certainly a lot of people have the German nation in high regard, as hard working and industrious despite the episodes of the past.

You can't argue with Tchaikovsky. The Germans make some awesome stuff too. Leica cameras, BMW's, clocks, etc.

Archived