8 track tape Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page Is it rare?

maui7984

Yes, it is very rare, but it's not as valuable as it should be. The LP was released for a week when Page got word of it and put the kibosh on it, but legend has it the 8-track was released one week after the LP, so it was only avalable for one day. The vinyl edition sold for a lot more before ebay showed it is a lot more common than previously believed and a nice one would sell for about $100. There are not as many 8-track collectors, so despite it being much scarcer, the tape would get $50 to $75.

I have seen two on Ebay in the last 10 years, I grabbed the first one for around $40 and the next one got around $80 (I think). I'm sure if there were more publicity about how rare this is the value would rise.

I agree with Pb - not super-valuable money-wise, but pretty darned rare. If you don't care much about it and could use the $40-$80 then by all means go ahead and sell it. But IMHO it's worth holding onto as a pretty unusual item.

I have a few copies of this album on vinyl, and it is worth mentioning that besides being somewhat collectible, the music is fantastic. The evolution of Dazed and Confused is started here with The Yardbirds version of I'm Confused. Jimmy "Magic Fingers" Page, indeed.

Looking at ebay's completed sales, one advertised as sealed sold for $8 (at auction w/2 bids) while an open and used one sold for nearly $60 (buy it now). Can't say I understand that.

Those are a later edition of the tape released by CBS Special Products in (I think) 1975. It was also pulled after Jimmy or Peter Grant found out about it and it is relatively hard to find, but not nearly as rare as the version on Epic with the orange shell seen in TheStairwayRemainsTheSame's earlier post. I also can't say I understand why ebay prices see-saw like that but the guy who paid $60 definitely overpaid and the guy who paid $8 got a bargain.

I just opened up a case of 8 track tapes I purchased several months ago and found an 8 track tape of the Live Yardbirds featuring jimmy Page. I was wondering if it is rare. I can't find anything about it. Thanks!

Those are a later edition of the tape released by CBS Special Products in (I think) 1975. It was also pulled after Jimmy or Peter Grant found out about it and it is relatively hard to find, but not nearly as rare as the version on Epic with the orange shell seen in TheStairwayRemainsTheSame's earlier post. I also can't say I understand why ebay prices see-saw like that but the guy who paid $60 definitely overpaid and the guy who paid $8 got a bargain.

I know that Page and the other Yardbirds (or their estates) have been in contention over this release for years. Can anyone summarize what are the issues at stake for both parties?

Yes, very true. Jimmy was upset that Epic was trying to capitalize on the success of LZ IV, and trying to exploit his name. He was also disgusted by the phony audience overdubs (bull fighting cheers, as he called them). He felt it was a low quality cash grab and didn't want any part of it. Knowing Jimmy, I would suspect that there was an unsatisfactory money component to this release as well. I love the album despite its warts. It's a truly fantastic piece and shows his evolution toward the creation of Led Zeppelin.

Yes, very true. Jimmy was upset that Epic was trying to capitalize on the success of LZ IV, and trying to exploit his name. He was also disgusted by the phony audience overdubs (bull fighting cheers, as he called them). He felt it was a low quality cash grab and didn't want any part of it. Knowing Jimmy, I would suspect that there was an unsatisfactory money component to this release as well. I love the album despite its warts. It's a truly fantastic piece and shows his evolution toward the creation of Led Zeppelin.

I was under the impression that Page was in conflict with the other members of the Yardbirds over this album. They want to release it, but he won't sign off on it. Am I mistaken?

Archived