The Death of Renisha Bryant

Disco Duck

Black man shoots unarmed, young white woman. That would have tapped into some very old memes about black men being a menace to white womanhood. It would have certainly made the local news. Once that happened one of the Stormfront types would have brought it to the attention of the right-wing radio shock jocks.

I meant news in the bigger, Trayvon Martin sense, not that it wouldn't even make local news.

And not really on the right-wing radio.

They consistently point out black-on-white crimes to illustrate how the media is one-sided, but none of it gets any traction.

Look how long it took the Knockout Game to make it to Good Morning, America.

Kudos for not keeping me on ignore.

• 7 months later...

America is a damaged society and I'm worried Canada is becoming that way as well. Sometimes when people see me with a woman who isn't white, they do a double take and always ask the most stupid questions, "is she Chinese?" or "is she Japanese?" I'm hoping that over the next 10 years my son and daughter don't have to go through what I have seen in California, Arizona and so on. The gangs, the "us vs them" type of mentality. The whole society has gone downhill in recent years. Who the fuck walks in a school and shoots up kids? Yet it is happening and we still have losers who think mentally unbalanced people who are taking medications should own firearms. As I've gotten older, I have just given up caring about it, and focus more and more on music as form of escapism!

Let me be the first to say thank you for the update. I was wondering how this would turn out.

I heard on NPR this morning that McBride's parents decided to keep a low profile during the trial. This may explain why we haven't heard much about the trial until today.

Perhaps because on the night in question Renisha McBride's blood alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit (0.218%) and she also had marijuana in her system, according to the toxicology report released by the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office.

Maybe, or maybe they have just given up? Perhaps like others, they realize America is damaged goods now, that could be an explaination? Who shoots someone in the face with a shotgun? Who walks in a school and shoots up kids? America unlike most of the developed western world has an unhealthy realtionship with firearms and that mixed with an unhealthy view of people who don't speak the same language, share the same religion, and have the same skin is an unhealthy combination. Parents have failed their kids. It's the parents fault. The excessive booze, drugs, kids walking around with pistols, parents who were never interested in being parents because they rather work so instead the kids grow up with no male or female role models. The entire society is going to the shitter.

Perhaps because on the night in question Renisha McBride's blood alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit (0.218%) and she also had marijuana in her system, according to the toxicology report released by the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office.

From what I've read, McBride's mother didn't want to become a distraction. She wanted the media's focus to stay on the trial. You keep harping on the toxicology report. No one denied that Renisha McBride behaved irresponsibly the night she died. The argument was whether or not her irresponsible behavior justified someone killing her. The jury decided that it didn't.

I'm guessing that Theodore Wafer's testimony hurt him. That and the fact that HE opened his front door. He behaved recklessly when he opened his front door to show that he had a gun. I've never held a gun in my life, but even I know that you don't wave it around unless you're prepared to kill someone. The gun gave him false courage which in turn made him reckless. Without it he would have kept looking for his cell phone then called 911.

Archived