Whisky a go go 50th

henrybonzo

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the Whisky a Go Go is having an entire month of events celebrating their 50th Anniversary. Most look pretty cheesy...I mean, who the fuck at this late date wants to see or hear Stephen Pearcy of Ratt, (who were terrible even in their heyday)? There are some that might be interesting, and I haven't thought of Uli Jon Roth in ages...didn't know he was still playing.

http://www.whiskyagogo.com/site/

I am curious about this Moby Dicks thing. The only recorded evidence of the Jan. 1969 Whisky shows is from January 5, the last of the four nights scheduled, so that's the only setlist available for them to go by.

1. As Long As I Have You (incl. Fresh Garbage/Shake)

2. I Can't Quit You, Baby

3. Train Kept a Rollin'

4. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

5. Dazed and Confused

6. Killing Floor

7. For Your Love

There seem to be conflicting accounts of the week, too, from differing sources. Did they play all nights? Which shows were cancelled due to Jimmy's fever? Was the January 5th the only show they played?

I'm tempted to go tonight, if only to hear how this band tackles ALAIHY. But I got an earful of the opening act, David Whalen and his song "Stand Up"...oy vey! Terrible schlock. I'll have to time it so I don't have to listen to him.

Am I wrong or didn't Led Zeppelin and Alice Cooper (both of which were fairly "unknown") at the time alternate who Opens and who Closes each of the Four nights of Their Residency at the Whisky A Go-Go? That being January 2 -5 of the year of 1969.

I can Recall this from Memory, however, I checked out this Reference from Dave Lewis' Masterpiece, Led Zeppelin - the Concert File, and on Page 32 -33 it seems that I was accurate and correct.

I am all about My Memory and Accuracy when it comes to such trivial things such as this. I have at least 30 books on or about Led Zeppelin (if I needed them) to Prove Me point.

I think Dave Lewis proves My point in His book. Thank You, Mr. Lewis.

Yep, i went, WGG is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, I know it's changed over the years but to imagine seeing the real deal there plus bands like cream and hendrix must have blown minds! We got pretty wrecked, I forgot LA gigs go on till the wee hours, 11 cut off back home!! Met Brian Tichy after the gig, praised bonham and he signed some bonzo bash sticks, cool night

Yep, i went, WGG is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, I know it's changed over the years but to imagine seeing the real deal there plus bands like cream and hendrix must have blown minds! We got pretty wrecked, I forgot LA gigs go on till the wee hours, 11 cut off back home!! Met Brian Tichy after the gig, praised bonham and he signed some bonzo bash sticks, cool night

The only changes to the Whisky over the years have been mainly cosmetic...different paint jobs and such. But the size and capacity have remained the same. So you can imagine Jimmy and his Rickenbackers on that stage.

I'm glad to hear you had a blast, henrybonzo. I meant to go, but after work I decided to take a little nap before going out, and unfortunately ended up oversleeping and waking up too late to make the show.

Hope you don't mind me asking some questions. Was their setlist exactly as I posted above, in the same order? What equipment did the band use? Did they use Led Zeppelin circa January 1969 gear...i.e. Telecaster guitar and Bonzo's maple kit?

How many people showed up? Was it an enthusiastic crowd?

• 2 weeks later...

HenryBonzo, thanks for sharing. What an epic few months you've been having! Meeting Jimmy, going to the Whisky in L.A., etc. I'm a longtime Doors fan, I should make a pilgrimmage inside the Whisky one o' these days (I've been outside to take pictures - during the metal years).

What's the capacity of the club - anybody want to guesstimate?

no worries, yeah, its been pretty cool, spoke to the keyboard player and Brian Tichy at the gig, it was smaller than i imagined, if you know the 100 club in London, it seemed similar except over two levels, much smaller than the old Astoria in London. id say around 2-250

if you're a Doors fan, this is on tonight

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3906384&pl=

Archived