Jim Cummins photos

badgeholder

Saw this in the Hendrix fanzine Jimpress, thought I'd share it here, since Zep is also mentioned. Sounds like a wealth of great photos being readied for...something...book, maybe?

A collection of almost three thousand original negatives and slides that include never-before-seen photos of some of the most legendary rock, soul, rhythm and blues, jazz, country and gospel performances of the '60's and '70's has been found and is being brought back to life by Jim Cummins, the photographer who shot them, and a photo restoration team headed up by Image Fortress.
Jim Cummins is a former New York Times and Newsday photojournalist whose work became best known from the iconic photographs he took of the legendary rock, rhythm and blues, soul, jazz, gospel, and country-western performers during the '60's and '70's. Over 900 music albums from that era, many of which went Gold, Platinum, or Diamond, used Jim's photos as their album covers. His photos of celebrated musical performers were also published as magazine covers, as concert posters, and in feature articles in national magazines such as Newsweek, Rolling Stone, and Life. Then they got packed away, in a basement, for 43 years.
"We are absolutely thrilled to be restoring and bringing back to life some of the most iconic and photographically stunning photos of artists like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Santana, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Ray Charles, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Aretha Franklin, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, and Wilson Pickett, among over one hundred legendary artiststhat Jim Cummins photographed, that are in this amazing collectionof original negatives and slides" stated Bob Pokress, Photo Editor at Image Fortress, an industry leader in digital image preservation. "The first time I viewed the original negatives and slides on a lightbox while Jim was telling me about the shoots, I felt as though I had stepped out of a time machine and was standing alongside Jim as those legends were in performance and Jim was taking those pictures," said Pokress.

^ fascinating and exciting! wonder if he captured Zeppelin in 1977?

.....it is, more information background on this Photo Restoring Project, Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imagefortress/restoring-the-lost-photos-of-jimi-janis-and-the-gr

Limited edition Led Zeppelin art prints by Ioannis...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836039837/get-the-led-out-led-zeppelin-prints-by-ioannis?ref=live

Archived