Controversy

Graphite Blimp

No, not at all Joe.. You seem very enlightened to me.

If you HADN'T called Graphite Blimp a T-R-O-L-L, I would have avoided this thread like the plague

Just because a topic hits a nerve with you (and me), doesn't mean it can't be brought up..

and yes although I just replied to you I have to add this: I am new to not only this forum, but forums in general this isn't usually my thing. I wasn't aware that this was a beaten to death topic on here, and I thought I could just help fellow Led Heads out! I just saw this list of songs on a facebook friend's post and I wanted to put my two cents in,so I did research and came up with some -what I think are- good counterarguments. Sorry if I struck a nerve for you. and even to Joe Bloggs here who resorts to elementary school-esque name calling.

If it was so controversial, we would have a thread on most of the groups from the late 50s onwards. What was controversial was George Harrisons - My Sweet Lord. At least Zepp only nicked a few lyrics and a riff here and there.

Yes thank you the only problem was that for lack of a better term, "haters" caught on that Zepp had similar lyrics at times and then they looked for every minor detail. There are only so many notes and variations you can have people.

I see it as kernels of inspiration, within whole songs that they built, with their own core band spirit always being very clear. These days, they just would have rearranged things further. That being said, I'm not saying that they didn't lift lyrics or music...on one of pages on this day remarks, he refers to their buccaneering spirit. What I'm saying though, is that zep were unique and creative. Still, some of the stuff stings to hear about...like reading on the board here about, tangerine being an old yardbirds song and the lyrical content of sibly. Also, i sorta wish they didnt have that little turn around part, at the end of first phrase of stairway ...page could have thought of something different or lengthened the phrase...and it would have been a non issue, because that sort of acoustic phrasing is common.

Otherwise, what art out there is completely original anyway?

It's interesting to think of how it might have pushed plant and page, to maybe work harder in their post zep music, finding their own creative spirit, without the combustion of zeppelin.

I see it as kernels of inspiration, within whole songs that they built, with their own core band spirit always being very clear. These days, they just would have rearranged things further. That being said, I'm not saying that they didn't lift lyrics or music...on one of pages on this day remarks, he refers to their buccaneering spirit. What I'm saying though, is that zep were unique and creative. Still, some of the stuff stings to hear about...like reading on the board here about, tangerine being an old yardbirds song and the lyrical content of sibly. Also, i sorta wish they didnt have that little turn around part, at the end of first phrase of stairway ...page could have thought of something different or lengthened the phrase...and it would have been a non issue, because that sort of acoustic phrasing is common.

Otherwise, what art out there is completely original anyway?

It's interesting to think of how it might have pushed plant and page, to maybe work harder in their post zep music, finding their own creative spirit, without the combustion of zeppelin.

IIRC correctly, Tangerine was a song that Page was working on in the Yardbirds, post Little Games, and the lyrics relate to a personal experience of his; so if that holds true, I don't see how bringing it to the Zeppelin era would sting. The Dazed and Confused solo on LZ1 was derived from a Yardbirds song that Page wrote, entitled Think About It. I'm sure that he brought a few nuggets forward to the New Yardbirds, and I certainly have no issue with that. No?

I was going from another thread, where it was stated that the song, summers dream, or something...don't remember exactly. It was said that one of the other yardbirds wrote the lyrics. Part of it, was myself always thinking how good, or authentic zep 3 was...so whatever the deal was with tangerine, I was like ahhh....still like the record though.

The subject of songwriting with them, has been blown out of proportion...in music magazines and radio shows. I think zep fans can listen and temper the subject into realistic measures.

But I was just sayin that those couple of songs, controversy...I had never heard about, till this board.

I was going from another thread, where it was stated that the song, summers dream, or something...don't remember exactly. It was said that one of the other yardbirds wrote the lyrics. Part of it, was myself always thinking how good, or authentic zep 3 was...so whatever the deal was with tangerine, I was like ahhh....still like the record though.

The subject of songwriting with them, has been blown out of proportion...in music magazines and radio shows. I think zep fans can listen and temper the subject into realistic measures.

But I was just sayin that those couple of songs, controversy...I had never heard about, till this board.

I see. I find the controversy to be over cooked as well, apart from Dazed and Confused which was clearly nicked. The rest of the controversial material is more eclectic in its influences, and Zep definitely made it their own. Levee is a perfect example, in that the Zep version is nothing like the original. They did themselves a disservice by not properly crediting some of the original songwriters, and had they done that, there would never have been an issue. Hindsight is 20/20, but this omission has given years and years of fodder to the Zep haters, which bugs me to no end.

I agree.

It's hard for general rock fans to get perspective, if a radio show is ranting and railing that they stole this and that, without listening. Or music magazines including cds, with all the old blues songs. If people then get swayed or jaded, it's shame because they are missing out on a ton of great music.

I don't know. A lot of these are obviously plagiarism, a lot aren't. Either way - they had such an energy that delivered it in a completely new way, I would call it innovative. Sometimes all it takes is a spark - and Page seems like the type that does that - its a cover to critics, but to me - it's an entity of its own.

Archived