The Guess Who

Charles J. White

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8z1EzDouNs

The first "political" song whose message I understood. I was eleven years old at the time. So, I'm always surprised when I encounter an adult who believes that it's a patriotic song.

I don't need your war machines

I don't need your ghetto scenes...

Colored lights can hypnotize

Sparkle someone else's eyes..

Seems pretty clear to me that Burton Cummings et al. weren't praising American women. I guess some people don't really listen to lyrics.

The first "political" song whose message I understood. I was eleven years old at the time. So, I'm always surprised when I encounter an adult who believes that it's a patriotic song.

I don't need your war machines

I don't need your ghetto scenes...

Colored lights can hypnotize

Sparkle someone else's eyes..

Seems pretty clear to me that Burton Cummings et al. weren't praising American women. I guess some people don't really listen to lyrics.

Perhaps it was a Patriotic song? Some might argue that the draft is the most unpatriotic thing one can do to its people; some might argue that fighting a war that is not a threat to one’s nation and violates the constitution is unpatriotic? Just throwing that out there, I haven't given it much thought

Edited by Charles J. White

Perhaps it was a Patriotic song? Some might argue that the draft is the most unpatriotic thing one can do to its people; some might argue that fighting a war that is not a threat to one’s nation and violates the constitution is unpatriotic? Just throwing that out there, I haven't given it much thought

I agree that protest can be a very patriotic act. However, I've met some folks who believe American Woman is a straight forward "in praise of American womanhood" song. Of course, the real kicker is that The Guess Who aren't even American.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

No one else is into The Guess Who but me? Come on guys, check them, they are a really good band.

Seen them live a few months after Live at the Paramount was released in 1973.

Unfortunately, Bachman had left the band long before that album came out.

Got two Guess Who lps,a compilation and a live one,but they are buried deep in the shed in boxes and wouldn't have been played in at least 15 years(gives you a clue as to how long i've been married.)The live one'sgot them standing on stage in an empty hall,I think,I remember it was great .I will have to dig them out,and get the turn table going.

I remember buying a stack of live lps at a garage sale about thirty years ago .All live no studio and American/Canadian save for Wish one Ash Live Dates.Guess Who,James Gang,Grand Funk,Ted Nugent,Glass Harp,Grateful Dead,Santana(Lotus,Jap press),etc.The lot for under $20 in perfect nick with plastic sleeves.The seller said their my sons and he's bugged off somewhere.He must have really liked American rock and live lps.Strange.

Edited by grasbo

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/10/2015 at 3:20 PM, Charles J. White said:

No one else is into The Guess Who but me? Come on guys, check them, they are a really good band.

I love the Guess Who!  “Live At The Paramount” is one of my favorite live albums.  Absolutely incredible!