Blu-Ray TSRTS

zepncrowes

Sorry if this has been discussed- but I couldnt find it searching for Blu-Ray.

I was able to get my hands on the Blu-Ray version of TSRTS before it was pulled, and I can certainly see why, if it was a band decision. The sound and video transfer are indeed better- but the menu is awful. There is only a single freeze frame menu for the special features- and a play movie icon. That's it.

Not even a scene selection menu or option. Also no booklet or inside cover pictures or anything. The 'regular' versions menus were fantastic I thought- very disappointing all in all. Hope they put some care into the re-release of the hi-def version.

Sorry if this has been discussed- but I couldnt find it searching for Blu-Ray.

I was able to get my hands on the Blu-Ray version of TSRTS before it was pulled, and I can certainly see why, if it was a band decision. The sound and video transfer are indeed better- but the menu is awful. There is only a single freeze frame menu for the special features- and a play movie icon. That's it.

Not even a scene selection menu or option. Also no booklet or inside cover pictures or anything. The 'regular' versions menus were fantastic I thought- very disappointing all in all. Hope they put some care into the re-release of the hi-def version.

Sounds like you scored a collector's item to me...

• 3 years later...

Yes, my search of "Blu-Ray" did not pull up this thread either.

Here's what I want to releate about the Blu-Ray of TSRTS....

I found that the picture was grainy-looking, and I don;t remember that from the previous versions.... what do you think ? ? ?

But then I had never watched TSRTS on a 42" 1080p flatscreen before.

But, I have watched footage from the re-mastered DVD on You Tube, and I do not remember seeing the grainy effect there... but perhaps that's from viewing it on a 19" smaller computer screen. Or maybe it's my flatsreen's picture settings..... although "other" things viewed on the 42" have not looked "grainy".

What I do remember is this.... at a midnight showing of TSRTS, in the early 1980's, I saw a print that was just spectacular in color. More color than I had ever remembered seeing of that film before. It was like... wow, this is a very special print of this film. I do not remember that film looking grainy. I am some day going to compare the "DVD" version of TSRTS to see if it also grainy.

I could also play with my TV's video settings.... but I really don't like having to adjust sharpness or contrast for just one disc...

Wait the TSRTS on blu-ray is hard to find? I have it and I think its amazing I dont really care about the menus, on my 46' HDTV the picture is absolutely amazing its like you are really on stage with the band. 100x better than the DVD version.

I don't think the blu-ray version is hard to find in the UK. It's available from Amazon for under £10. I don't have a blue-ray player so can't comment on the quality of that version.

Edited to add that according to the reviews on Amazon, the blu-ray two disc version of the film was discontinued because of poor audio quality.

I have got both the original Blu-ray that was withdrawn, and the re-released one. Both have exactly the same catalogue number (Z1 Y15711)

The original withdrrawn release had audio problems on Moby Dick, and so the updated version remedied this. The updated version also has the Cameron Crowe Radio profile spotlight removed, which I believe was for copyright reasons.

I'm not aware of a blu-ray 2 disc release though?

I don't think the blu-ray version is hard to find in the UK. It's available from Amazon for under £10. I don't have a blue-ray player so can't comment on the quality of that version.

Edited to add that according to the reviews on Amazon, the blu-ray two disc version of the film was discontinued because of poor audio quality.

Archived