Can anyone give me any more information about the Knebworth Outtake Photos? I have one here...

Phonostage

HI - I have a large photograph - a Knebworth outtake photo of Led Zeppelin that wasn't used in the Knebworth programme. I know that there are quite a few outtakes, having Googled around a bit and having looked on this forum, most notably the half-clad Robert Plant.. but I haven't seen this particular one. Jimmy Page looks great on it - it would not have been chosen because John Paul Jones is shoe-gazing.

My question is how did this photo come to be? If it was rejected why are they out there? Were there many copies of each? Have I got a one-off or were loads then printed out? I haven't removed this one from the frame it is in to see if it is on Kodak paper or anything, it certainly isn't an inkjet print, the quality is too high to have been taken from a picture on the internet and printed - also it is a large print and I know what interpolation looks like...

If anyone can help me to understand these things I would be very appreciative..

Please note - this photo was taken at Knebworth - not in my kitchen!

Thanks

Tony

IMG_1863.thumb.jpg.ac9172b201bfa4d127c0590e2c6dcb21.jpg

That photo session was done by Aubrey "Po" Powell of Hipgnosis in the days leading up to the first Knebworth show on Aug 4, 1979. I believe they were staying at The Roebuck Inn in Stevenage at the time, about a mile and a half from the festival site.

As Po has explained in the past, it was somewhat difficult to get all four guys together for a photo shoot during this era. They were reemerging from a lengthy artistic hiatus following the death of Karac Plant, and had only done two dates in Copenhagen and held Knebworth rehearsals at Bray Studios the month prior. In fact, Po has admitted a couple of females (off camera) were employed to lighten the mood that day and ultimately Hipgnosis went so far as to superimpose a blue sky over the overcast reality in the famous image at the link below. Anyway, all these outtake photos would have originated from Po's negatives/contact sheets, and gradually entered circulation from him and/or Hipgnosis through various projects.   

https://www.hypergallery.com/seventies-album-art/knebworth

https://www.floydianslip.com/pink-floyd/interviews/aubrey-powell.php

That's very interesting, I know of Audrey Powell and the Hipgnosis sleeves (Hawkwind springs to mind) - I rather like the photo even though JPJ is looking at the floor... I wonder where it has been all these years! I only bought it recently... 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Phonostage said:

Do you know how many different ones there are? Does anyone collect them??

Thanks

Not sure how many pics were taken. I think I have about 30+ different photos and we included a few rare ones in the In Through The Out Door SD box set book. Would you be able to post a better scan of yours to get a better look?

7 hours ago, Phonostage said:

HI - I can have a go but it is in a glass frame... Also it is bigger than my scanner! I can try to take a better photo... Sorry to be hopeless

If you remove it from the frame, place it flat on the scanner and scan it in two halves or even in thirds I can recombine the scans into a single image.

• 3 weeks later...

OK - Sorry about the delay. It won't fit on my scanner - even in half so I have taken it out of the frame and taken a couple of good photos of it. I am thinking It might be a print from a large printer not developed from a negative. I did some reading and looked it it though a strong loupe and think I can see the faintest of lines like you do on an inkjet printer - just at the edges of the trees etc. Never discernible with the naked eye and so slight it is hard to tell.. at least that's how it appears. I didn't see any 'blobs' of ink as described in the article I read but I don't know how close you need to look to see that. It is on a large piece of semi-gloss looking paper - borderless or trimmed. If there is anything anyone can tell me from this then I would appreciate it. Thanks.. the last one I took by the way looks like it was shot just before Robert took his pants off!

38317982104_0a40cd1ae6_b.jpgIMG_9992 by Tony H, on Flickr

25163025268_6f81d0d34c_b.jpgIMG_9994 by Tony H, on Flickr

39033886201_46b304f513_b.jpgIMG_9995 by Tony H, on Flickr

39033894841_80e0b9161b_b.jpgIMG_9996 by Tony H, on Flickr

Archived