Best live bargain buy?

Guest WD52

Guest WD52

I picked up The Antrabata Arabesque and Baroque 4th night for £30 (about $25) four or five years ago. And a couple of years ago traded some spare stuff for the Great Chicago Fire box. Best two deals I ever made.

Guest WD52

Nice but not quite the intended spirit of this thread. I'm sure everything can be downloaded for nothing. Not much of a challenge though! I've never downloaded any music from anywhere. Lack the technical know how and any decent electronics to hear the result anyway.  I prefer the physical artefact myself. 

When I first discovered Yahoo Japan Auctions, bidding was restricted to Japan only. But there was an intermediary who facilitated bidding from other countries. Before the sellers realized they had a worldwide market, they were offering some of those rare Japanese acetate LPs - the ones I thought I'd only ever read about in collectors guides - at domestic rather than import prices. Damned if I can remember the prices I paid for each one but many were had at bargain basement prices. And worth alot more these days.

5 hours ago, therocker68 said:

Got Destroyer 4 LP set in the ''typewriter'' carry case for £20 a couple of years ago.Bob Langley used to sort me great deals on Empress Valley and Tarantura sets,will have to look for some of the best ones.

I got that one too my friend in about 1981 at some weird bootleg store in North Vancouver. I paid $25 Canadian dollars and I wore that thing out. Literally. Still have the beige case somewhere in the basement. 

I especially wore out the "Ya didn't have to tell me that you, love me so. Ya didn't have to leeeeeeeeeeave me Mama, let me go......." Damn Plant nailed that line 😮

The doctor was played by Larry Badgely............ 

Guest WD52

That's what started me off on the Zeppelin live collecting-finding a single CD of Dallas 75 in  a second hand shop in Harrow, West London about 30 years ago. It was the only bootleg on the racks so must have slipped through. Up to that point it had been Rainbow bootleg albums (all now traded away, sadly). Happily I have all the Rainbow live stuff from 75-76 on cdr. 

On 7/3/2020 at 4:00 PM, WD52 said:

Nice but not quite the intended spirit of this thread. I'm sure everything can be downloaded for nothing. Not much of a challenge though! I've never downloaded any music from anywhere. Lack the technical know how and any decent electronics to hear the result anyway.  I prefer the physical artefact myself. 

Fair enough if you prefer a physical product but come on, if you can post in an online forum you can download music and buy a decent set of speakers for way under 100 quid (and burn a CD if you must). If you still insist on a CD I'll quite happily burn you the best sounding source of every Zepp show that's ever been widely traded for a tenner a pop. Hell I'll even print artwork with a loyalty scheme where you get a free show and photo book after buying a few 😉

I am grateful to those who buy and liberate new EV sources, but buying an overpriced CD of a show that's been around forever and probably not in the best quality? Eh, just seems like a big waste of money.

Edit: I should add that I very well get the thrill and the chase of buying physical bootlegs when you had to do that because they weren't online. The last 20 years have been revolutionary both in the way live concert recordings are now shared freely, and the online community's collective efforts to discover and document the best sources with the purest lineage, fan remasters etc

Edited by SilverVishnu

Guest WD52

Horses for courses I guess, and as long as we all enjoy the music how we get it is largely irrelevant. For years I had loads of Zep on cdr but decided to upgrade to silvers. My hobby if you like. But you cannot buy a decent pair of speakers for under £100! Mine cost £2k and sound some way beyond decent. Which goes back to my old argument that the better the playback system, the better the cd will sound. A poor recording will sound worse the cheaper the system used to play it back.  I cannot bear listening to music via computer, phone, all in one hi fi etc it all sounds awful. A mate of mine is a real Deadhead so I invited him round with some of his favourite Garcia stuff to listen on my system. He was amazed at what he could hear (given that his own system cost around £500 plus a pair of £200 speakers). I then swapped out my cd player for a spare I have. He couldn't believe the change in the presentation of the sound.

WD52,

I absolutely get where you are coming from. I enjoy collecting silvers coupled with the challenge of trying to find them for a good price. It's fun, and I don't break the bank! Just takes a little luck, a lot of hunting, and a lot of patience. Ultimately, I do completely understand the argument of "Why would you pay for silvers when you can download anything/everything for free?" That is very sensible and economical. Just boils down to, different strokes for different folks, I guess. For me, there's nothing quite like the thrill of finding something in the wild at a bargain. Best deals I've ever had: 1) Original Silver Rarities remastered "Listen to This Eddie". $24.99 in the used bin at a local record shop. 2) Tarantura's "The Royal Dragon". $29.99 on Ebay. 3) Arabesque & Baroque - The Second Night. $40 at a another local shop many years ago. 4) The Final Statements. Another Antrabata title. Always loved those hardbound book style packages they did for the larger disc sets. Got that one for $65, which I thought was a steal.

I never listen to music from a phone or a computer either. I hate the way it sounds. Upgraded my home system just a few months ago with a $500 budget, and I'm loving it. Got a set of Elac B6 speakers and a decent Yamaha amp. Couldn't be happier right now.  I just don't know what I'm going to do when I can't get a car with a CD player in it anymore! My 11 year old car's stereo is still thundering and kicking ass over here...