Why is the news media so friggin' STUPID?

Del Pezzelin

I want to drum with Led Zeppelin. So move over Jason, you've had your shot.

Will that please be passed on to the Daily Star for a write up. B)

( Now wheres that number for the local drum school? One lessons should be enough to get me onto the Foo Fighters drum stool before getting the Zep gigs) :blink:

The Dave Grohl story is accurate, once you read that he isn't joining Zeppelin, but that it's simply wishful thinking on his part. But the editor, unfortunately, gave it a misleading title to get the attention of the reader.

Now, about the news media:

I've been a journalist for 25 years. The first few years, I was writing for some entertainement rag before I had any formal training in journalism. I later obtained a journalism degree, and I now work for a TV station in Canada.

You just made the kind of blanket statement about the media which I hear all the time. It's as deep as if I said, "I went to the doctor, he told me I had the flu when in fact it was cancer, so all health-care professionals are incompetent."

Entertainment news is the bastard child of the news media. For reasons I can,t fully grasp myself, entertainement news isn't subjected to the same journalism standards as mainstream hard-news. We wouldn't allow "anonymous sources" and rumours like this to be used in any other kind of news.

I think it comes from the fact that most entertainers (actors, musicians, etc...) have become masters at manipulating the media. And the media, rather than dispatch actual journalists who would check, double-check and triple check whatever an artist says, they simply send groupies and other cheearleaders to do the job. I know, I was one of them early in my career. So you end-up with web blogs like the one you quoted, which then feed into other media. And once in a while, mainstream media will pick it up and stick it into their entertainment pages as a cheap way to fill space. They won't check the facts reported by another media, because they assume that this other obscure media did its job, when in fact it often didn't.

Worse yet are SOME (but not all) entertainment magazines which agree to let the artist review (read, approve, censor) an article on them, in exchange for an "exclusive" interview.

Add to that the fact that mainstream media are often baffled by the fact that they spend months researching serious stories on science, political scandals, corruption etc, only to realize that the majority of viewers/readers are more interested in the latest antics of Paris Hilton, and you end-up with a press which all of a sudden becomes cynical about anything running in its entertainment pages.

i get you dude, its like being a minority one bad apple makes the whole group look bad whch is total bullshit and yet unfortunately thats just kinda the way it works for most people!!! :unsure:

Dave Grohl has said in a few interviews that it would be nice to play with Zeppelin, he's a massive fan so he probably would want to.

This gets blown up to "Led Zeppelin touring with Dave Grohl," the same way that when Jimmy said they'd be playing a song never played live before (FYL) it got turned into "Led Zeppelin playing a brand new song" and everybody then thought they were writing new material.

The Zep camp is quiet at the moment, but theyre as newsworthy as ever and so news websites make up stuff.

The way things are looking at the moment (Plant/Krauss, JPJ producing an album, Jason back with Foreigner) I doubt any tour is likely. This year anyway

your right there is no tour in the works it was a one off like plant said just to sell more records catalogw song remaina the same movie ringtones and a bunch of other crap like mothership they making millions why tour

the same way that when Jimmy said they'd be playing a song never played live before (FYL) it got turned into "Led Zeppelin playing a brand new song" and everybody then thought they were writing new material.

Actually, Jimmy is the source of the new material thing, and it had absolutely nothing to do with FYL--he said in a fairly early interview that he'd be surprised if they didn't come up with new material and also in a much later one, albeit jokingly, that they would've had two albums by now if he hadn't injured his finger (he'd been asked if they'd written anything new and said at first that they hadn't had time with the injury).

Archived