Harsh Comments on MSG STH Solo

JohnOsbourne

3 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Guy is an idiot and was 100% wrong in his assessment which I believe was his long-winded justification for just hating improvisation. He wanted the solo note for note, anything less and this dude shits himself.

Typical shredder response, all technique and no feel, no improv, no DICE!

2 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Guy is an idiot and was 100% wrong in his assessment which I believe was his long-winded justification for just hating improvisation. He wanted the solo note for note, anything less and this dude shits himself.

Typical shredder response, all technique and no feel, no improv, no DICE!

Yeah, that was my impression (shredder BS), and I actually couldn't listen to the entire thing because he's so full of himself he's intolerable for more than 1-2 minutes.  (Skipping through it, he gave damning praise to the Highway Star solo, merely acknowledging it was ahead of its time.)  

"His timing is off, his bends suck, his tone is ok, his phrasing choices are amateurish at best."

In my universe Page knows absolutely the fuck where he is timing wise. If you are too dumb to understand this you don't know what timing is. Otherwise a whole lotta meh form this guy. So the studio version is superior to live? I would like to hear the live version live, not studio. Anyway, since about 1985 Page has been looked down upon as a technically lacking player, so nothing new here.

Jimmy Page was awarded an an honorary doctorate at Berklee College of Music. Steve Vai was asked to write something to be read while Page received the honor. Reportedly, it brought the house down... twice.

Following is Vai's quote:

"In the physical universe, there are objects that include suns, planets, all life, and all matter in all dimensions. And then there is the space where all these things exist. That space is the vital element. For virtually every kid since 1968 who picked up a guitar to find his voice on the instrument, Jimmy Page has been the space that enables all our notes to be played."

On May 9th (2014), Page received an honourary doctor of music degree at the Berklee School Of Music and delivered a commencement speech to more than 4,000 attendees at the Agganis Arena in Boston.

Page was overwhelmed with the proceedings and stated that "music has so much power over so many avenues. Bringing joy and pleasure to other people … you can't get much better than that."