L Z Songs

Markus J

I have been a Zep fan for a while. I have recently been thinking about what songs are my favorite Zeppelin songs. I have decided that Stairway to Heaven is now my new favorite song. It's weird, it used to be my favorite song for a really

long time, but now all of a sudden I have decided it is my new Led Zeppelin favorite song. Tell how you are feeling about Stairway to Heaven the song these days. 

I played and listened to the song yesterday while I was working. I was happy to hear it while I was at work. I decided that I have a new love for the song and that I am going to put it my Amazon Music Unlimited Playlist.

I want you to tell how you now feel about the song Stairway to Heaven. 

JimmyPageonStage3000.jpg

• 2 months later...

For me.  I go by the albums and I don't have one fave song.  I go by the one great song from each album.  So for me its

LZ1-How Many More Times.  LZ2-Lemon Song. LZ3-Celebration Song.  ZoSo-When The Levee Breaks.  HOTH-No Quarter.  PG- In My Time of Dying/10 Yrs Song.  P-For your life. ITTOD-Fool in the Rain

The songs kinda fall into 2 categories for me. One, if the song was played extensively live - or even intermittently - that almost makes the studio version an afterthought if you've listened to a lot of live shows. For those songs that were never (or hardly) performed live, it's still very hard to rank the very top few but I'm partial to Down By the Seaside.

For me, Stairway to Heaven is meh. I don't think it's the best song they've ever done, I don't think it's the most anthemic song they've ever done, and I don't even think it's the best song on Zep IV. I understand that for a lot of fans, it holds a very special place in their hearts, so I don't argue with anyone about it. If you love it, continue loving it. I don't skip it, but I don't rush to play it, if that makes any sense.

As a kid, I loved the guitar strumming section where Robert goes "makes me wonder". I still love that part today, it sounds like quintessential early 70s California rock (coming from an English band) .. laid back and chill. As far as the song as a whole, I was never super enthusiastic about it compared to other songs. However, this year I've developed a new appreciation for it from listening to a lot of live Zep from 71. Performances of STH from that year really bring the song to life, sound fresh as it was still relatively new for them, and has the same feel as on the album. Some of the live 71 versions are downright magic to my ears.