2021 MLB Playoffs...

paul carruthers

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this gem of modern sports "journalism" on ESPN:

"Kershaw, a three-time Cy Young Award winner who is arguably the greatest player in Dodgers history"

This kind of drivel is written by and for people with a memory that goes back no further than 2010.  If they did not live it, it does not exist.

Not even close.  Not even the best Dodgers pitcher.  Sandy Koufax was much better.  Pitched way more innings per year, was much more clutch, and had a much better record in the playoffs, and that is when there was one playoff series per year, the World Series.  Koufax was much more dominant and clutch in his era than Kershaw could ever dream of being.  And look at who Koufax faced frequently given the low number of teams. Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Juan Marichel, Bob Gibson, etc.  Koufax never faced cupcake teams in the expanded, bloated "playoffs".  Each year his only playoff series was against the best of the other league.

Kershaw let his team down when it counted year after year, even against supposedly inferior teams.  Koufax won 3 Cy Youngs when there was only 1 Cy Young for both leagues.  And one year he lost it he should have won.  If there had been an NL Cy Young he would have won 4+.

I think in the clutch and for durability Don Drysdale was second to Koufax ahead of Kershaw.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 10:39 PM, John M said:

Just saw this gem of modern sports "journalism" on ESPN:

"Kershaw, a three-time Cy Young Award winner who is arguably the greatest player in Dodgers history"

This kind of drivel is written by and for people with a memory that goes back no further than 2010.  If they did not live it, it does not exist.

Not even close.  Not even the best Dodgers pitcher.  Sandy Koufax was much better.  Pitched way more innings per year, was much more clutch, and had a much better record in the playoffs, and that is when there was one playoff series per year, the World Series.  Koufax was much more dominant and clutch in his era than Kershaw could ever dream of being.  And look at who Koufax faced frequently given the low number of teams. Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Juan Marichel, Bob Gibson, etc.  Koufax never faced cupcake teams in the expanded, bloated "playoffs".  Each year his only playoff series was against the best of the other league.

Kershaw let his team down when it counted year after year, even against supposedly inferior teams.  Koufax won 3 Cy Youngs when there was only 1 Cy Young for both leagues.  And one year he lost it he should have won.  If there had been an NL Cy Young he would have won 4+.

I think in the clutch and for durability Don Drysdale was second to Koufax ahead of Kershaw.

Its pure garbage journalism and they now want you to pay  for most articles.  I am NOT going to join the ESPN insider crap.  So I can get info I can get free on another site.

On 12/5/2021 at 9:11 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

they now want you to pay  for most articles.

Here's the crazy thing about the "Premium" articles.  They are most just speculation articles about stupid things that will never happen, as opposed to actual journalism or any real reporting/analysis of something that actually happened.  I would never pay for ESPN+  I can tell it is garbage just by reading the headlines and the intro paragraph they show.  Here is an example of a headline.  "Where the top MLB free agents would go if money were no object."  When is money ever no object?  Or  how about after every sports season ends they breathlessly promote their self proclaimed "way too early power rankings for next year" as if doing something meaningless and "way too early" is a good thing?  Or then they have articles about "instant over-reactions" as if "instant over-reactions are ever a good thing?  Nuts. 

Edited by John M