2021 MLB Playoffs...

paul carruthers

13 minutes ago, Strider said:

Uh oh. No Max Scherzer for the Dodgers tonight. He's a scratch…"dead arm".

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-rumors-max-scherzer-dead-arm-scratched-nlcs-start-game-6/2021/10/22/

It's a conspiracy!  

Although I'm truly not sure who would be conspiring to have the Astros and Braves in the Series.  Maybe someone who hates baseball... 

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

The Astros in the World Series is what's best for business.  😆

On a serious note, I wonder who had the Braves or Houston going the distance in October--provided the Braves can shake the "Atlanta Jinx" and actually close out this Series tonight....

The Braves?  Probably no one.  But the Astros have been the second best team in the AL most of the season, it's not like the Rays were in a league of their own, Houston's not a dark horse in any way.

8 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Not the Cardinals but my second favorite team.

The Houston cheaters vs the Braves.  Nobody thought the Dodgers would lose to Atlanta.  I am cheering for Atlanta.  Actually  my 3rd fav now.  Back in the days of Maddox and Smoltz and Glavine and those great teams I really liked them.  Then when they had Nick Markakis.  Houston is the favorite here no doubt about it. But Atlanta beat the best team.  And maybe the Giants were the best team this year?  The short best of 5 did them in.  I never really liked the best of 5. I thought in baseball they should have done away with it.  They did do away with it in the NBA and NHL>  If you remember they had it years ago.  Both hoops and pucks. And how the hell can you cheer for a team that cheated just as much as the 1919 White Sox?  The White Sox are going to be good for some time by the way.  

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

And how the hell can you cheer for a team that cheated just as much as the 1919 White Sox?

This is a bit over-wrought.  First of all, trying to anticipate your opponents' moves ("stealing signs") is completely legitimate and has been done forever in every sport.  The only issue here is how much the envelope was pushed with technology, and that's something the league has no one to blame for but themselves. They allowed teams access to video feeds in the hopes of increasing offense (sound familiar?) but provided no monitoring/enforcement mechanism.  What did they expect was going to happen?  The Astros (and I guess the Red Sox) didn't do anything all of the other teams weren't doing.  They simply gamed the league's bogus system, and the league clearly wanted the story to just go away and not expose the widespread extent of the practices, which is why they blamed everything on an "evil genius" (Cora) and ignored any role the players had in this.  It's a repeat of the steroids story:  first they ignored the claims, then they said it was only a few players, then they grandstanded about the "integrity of the game".  The sanctimony and hypocrisy over all of this is just appalling.    

10 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

This is a bit over-wrought.  First of all, trying to anticipate your opponents' moves ("stealing signs") is completely legitimate and has been done forever in every sport.  The only issue here is how much the envelope was pushed with technology, and that's something the league has no one to blame for but themselves. They allowed teams access to video feeds in the hopes of increasing offense (sound familiar?) but provided no monitoring/enforcement mechanism.  What did they expect was going to happen?  The Astros (and I guess the Red Sox) didn't do anything all of the other teams weren't doing.  They simply gamed the league's bogus system, and the league clearly wanted the story to just go away and not expose the widespread extent of the practices, which is why they blamed everything on an "evil genius" (Cora) and ignored any role the players had in this.  It's a repeat of the steroids story:  first they ignored the claims, then they said it was only a few players, then they grandstanded about the "integrity of the game".  The sanctimony and hypocrisy over all of this is just appalling.    

So where is the integrity of the game upheld here?  When the other team knows every pitch that’s coming?  It’s cheating.  They should be stripped of the titles!  I am hoping Atlanta wins

12 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So where is the integrity of the game upheld here?  When the other team knows every pitch that’s coming?  It’s cheating.  They should be stripped of the titles!  I am hoping Atlanta wins

Well, there's integrity, and then there's moralistic grandstanding.  Trying to figure out what your opponent is going to do and countering it is completely legitimate and part of every sport.  It's not even remotely cheating of any kind.  You believe otherwise?  If so, why?  Are you saying, e.g., that teams shouldn't be allowed to scout their opponents, watch game film, etc. to get an edge?  That would be ridiculous.  "Stealing signs" has been part of the game literally forever, and if you telegraph your moves, you deserve to get burned for it.  Competitive sports are as much mental as physical (a good deal more in fact), and out-thinking your opponent is what winners do.

Again:  the only issue here is the use of technology in pushing the envelope, and it's the league itself that enabled this (in crass pursuit of higher ratings, etc.;  how's that for integrity?).  Hence their protestations of shock (and obvious attempts to sweep the extent of this under the rug) are just laughable.

8 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Well, there's integrity, and then there's moralistic grandstanding.  Trying to figure out what your opponent is going to do and countering it is completely legitimate and part of every sport.  It's not even remotely cheating of any kind.  You believe otherwise?  If so, why?  Are you saying, e.g., that teams shouldn't be allowed to scout their opponents, watch game film, etc. to get an edge?  That would be ridiculous.  "Stealing signs" has been part of the game literally forever, and if you telegraph your moves, you deserve to get burned for it.  Competitive sports are as much mental as physical (a good deal more in fact), and out-thinking your opponent is what winners do.

Again:  the only issue here is the use of technology in pushing the envelope, and it's the league itself that enabled this (in crass pursuit of higher ratings, etc.;  how's that for integrity?).  Hence their protestations of shock (and obvious attempts to sweep the extent of this under the rug) are just laughable.

When NE got caught stealing the playbook of another team I suppose you are OK with that also?  There is a line you can cross.  Houston crossed it.  And so did NE though the damage in that case was really nothing.  It was against a bad opponent so one would wonder why they every did it?  And it makes you wonder what else Billy boy did?  They were more lucky than good.   I guess hockey, basketball and soccer are three sports that you really cannot steal anything that would give you an edge.   It only pertains to baseball and football (American game).  Covid saved Houston from being booed out of some stadiums.  Atlanta was not involved directly in the sign stealing but the Dodgers losing in 7?  That may have been the difference.  

I hate the Braves.  So I guess I'm rooting for Dusty.  And I'll probably watch some of it.  I can't bear the thought of no baseball until February.  

Also, Rick, there's a long, valued tradition of cheating in baseball.  So there. 

16 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

When NE got caught stealing the playbook of another team I suppose you are OK with that also?  There is a line you can cross.  Houston crossed it.  And so did NE though the damage in that case was really nothing.  It was against a bad opponent so one would wonder why they every did it?  And it makes you wonder what else Billy boy did?  They were more lucky than good.   I guess hockey, basketball and soccer are three sports that you really cannot steal anything that would give you an edge.   It only pertains to baseball and football (American game).  Covid saved Houston from being booed out of some stadiums.  Atlanta was not involved directly in the sign stealing but the Dodgers losing in 7?  That may have been the difference.  

When did NE get caught stealing another team's playbook?

Whether or not Houston (and I guess the Red Sox) "crossed a line", it's a line most other teams crossed (i.e., using league-enabled technology to do something [sign-stealing] that had literally been done for a century), which is why the league refused to pursue the matter with any kind of rigor and pretended (as with steroids) that it was only a few isolated individuals.  Whatever can be said about Houston's particular actions, I'm far less OK with the league's (and media's) hypocritical posturing.  

12 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

When did NE get caught stealing another team's playbook?

Whether or not Houston (and I guess the Red Sox) "crossed a line", it's a line most other teams crossed (i.e., using league-enabled technology to do something [sign-stealing] that had literally been done for a century), which is why the league refused to pursue the matter with any kind of rigor and pretended (as with steroids) that it was only a few isolated individuals.  Whatever can be said about Houston's particular actions, I'm far less OK with the league's (and media's) hypocritical posturing.  

I believe they stole the Jets playbook and why Belecheck would even worry about the Jets when it happened is mind boggling.  It was before the inflate a gate stuff. You know.  Where they deflated the footballs.  LOL

10 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I believe they stole the Jets playbook and why Belecheck would even worry about the Jets when it happened is mind boggling.  It was before the inflate a gate stuff. You know.  Where they deflated the footballs.  LOL

I think you're confusing "videogate" (another non-event blown out of proportion) with something that never happened.  I have never heard allegations that they stole a playbook.

Well--given how atrocious starting pitching has been for the majority of this postseason--I give the edge to Houston & their lineup. As evidenced by last night's game, unless they go into a major slump, that offense can't be held down; especially when you're getting 5 innings or less from your starters. Houston in 6 is my prediction...

Not that I have a rooting interest for tonight, but it would be pretty sad if the Braves choked away this World Series & I'm sure fans might remember the World Series in 1996, I believe when they had the Yanks down 2-0; or maybe the whole "Atlanta Curse" will be brought up & sad memories of the Falcons choking against the Pats....