Great Years in Live Music

John M

Lately I find myself listening to alot of shows from 1971.  Of course Zeppelin, and 1971 could be considered their live peak.   But I started thinking, how many great tours of bands at or near their peak were in 1971?  Maybe it is just the bands I really like, but 1971 stands out for me.

In addition to Zeppelin we have the Santana 3 tour with Neal Schon added to an already amazing band.  New material and fantastic shows.

We have the Allman Brothers reaching a peak and playing off the charts.  So good.

Jethro Tull on the Aqualung tour.

Yes with Steve Howe - the second half of the Yes Album tour and the first half of the Fragile tour.  Wow.

Every year has amazing tours.  What are some of your favorite years across bands that you like?

• 2 months later...

Lately I have been listening to a number of shows from 1970.  Zeppelin, but also Allman Brothers, and Santana.  All three bands were heading up toward their peak.  Allman Brothers released their two sets at Atlanta Pop Festival July 1970.  Fantastic stuff.  Santana released (I think officially?) their gig at Tanglewood, MA in August 1970.  They were a very different band from the 1971 version when Neal Schon joined.  It is really cool to hear the new Santana III tracks with just one guitar.

There are some good Allmans 1970 shows out there, and for Santana it is banner year for good recordings.

I am sure there were many other great tours that year but those are the ones I have been listening too, along with the first live album I ever bought, Four Way Street by CSNY.  I know the acoustic set has its ups and downs, but those 2 sides of electric songs topped off with an acoustic Find the Cost of Freedom, well that is the real deal.