How the West Was Won CD set

NCZepFan

Okay so I’m fairly new to this group and definitely not as adept with all things Zeppelin as many of the hardcore members here are even though I am a long time fan of their music but never got to see them in concert. I did get close as I had tickets to the 1980 concert in Chicago that was cancelled due to Bonzo’s tragic death. So yeah as I teenager and then college kid I grew up playing Zeppelin’s albums up through Coda. In the much later years I became familiar with the albums that were released much later like the BBC Sessions, Mothership and Celebration Day one. But somehow I missed and just recently discovered the How the West Was Won CD set, ordered it, have been playing it and am absolutely blown away by it. Jimmy Page wrote in the CD jacket that “While I was searching for visual and audio material for the Led Zeppelin DVD I re-discovered these 1972 performances from the 25th June, L.A. Forum and 27th June, Long Beach Arena. This is Led Zeppelin at its best and an illustration of How the West Was Won.” I see that Jimmy produced it (btw I have the 2018 reissue version) which sounds amazingly tightly mixed. Just curious if anyone can add anything else related to this release as I’m always interested in the back story as to how it came into being. Thanks.

5 hours ago, NCZepFan said:

Okay so I’m fairly new to this group and definitely not as adept with all things Zeppelin as many of the hardcore members here are even though I am a long time fan of their music but never got to see them in concert. I did get close as I had tickets to the 1980 concert in Chicago that was cancelled due to Bonzo’s tragic death. So yeah as I teenager and then college kid I grew up playing Zeppelin’s albums up through Coda. In the much later years I became familiar with the albums that were released much later like the BBC Sessions, Mothership and Celebration Day one. But somehow I missed and just recently discovered the How the West Was Won CD set, ordered it, have been playing it and am absolutely blown away by it. Jimmy Page wrote in the CD jacket that “While I was searching for visual and audio material for the Led Zeppelin DVD I re-discovered these 1972 performances from the 25th June, L.A. Forum and 27th June, Long Beach Arena. This is Led Zeppelin at its best and an illustration of How the West Was Won.” I see that Jimmy produced it (btw I have the 2018 reissue version) which sounds amazingly tightly mixed. Just curious if anyone can add anything else related to this release as I’m always interested in the back story as to how it came into being. Thanks.

If you have the time and do a bit of searching, I recommend you get the Bootleg of the LA Forum show. "Burn Like A Candle" or "A Night At The Heartbreak Hotel". This will give you the complete show. It is the audience recording so wont sound professionally mixed. However, what you do get is warts and all with Plants comments and the atmosphere is really great. Page, as usual, royally fucked the production of the official release. It sounds shit, compressed and with no Plantations or atmosphere and fake crowd. "You tube" it and see what the gig really sounded like.

20 hours ago, NCZepFan said:

Sure, the bootlegs of the June 25 and June 27, 1972 concerts are more complete and a more honest and fun listen. But that was not your question. This article will be of more help to you. Welcome to the forum.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/kevin-caveman-shirley

Here is more essential reading about "How the West Was Won":

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/htwww.html

Edited by Strider