What bands influenced Zep?

dragster

I was "pubbin'" the other day with colleagues and friends and as usual, serious talk started on rock, music and Led Zeppelin of course. I knew Johnny Kidd and the Pirates and I've got various albums by the band. One guy comes up and says that Led Zep would have never taken off it it wasn't for The Pirates' sound in the 60s. What do you all think?!

Rob

there is a LZ boot called "A Tribute To Johnny Kidd And The Pirates", i can't remember what year it's from but it's early (maybe '69?) and it's from a live show they did.

I hadn't personally even heard of them until i found this out. I don't recall ever reading about them in connection with LZ, but then, alot of the blues artists they were influenced by (and even took songs from before modifying them) i have never seen directly mentioned by any of the band.

there is a LZ boot called "A Tribute To Johnny Kidd And The Pirates", i can't remember what year it's from but it's early (maybe '69?) and it's from a live show they did.

I hadn't personally even heard of them until i found this out. I don't recall ever reading about them in connection with LZ, but then, alot of the blues artists they were influenced by (and even took songs from before modifying them) i have never seen directly mentioned by any of the band.

It's a soundcheck/rehearsal from Chicago 1973 where they play all kinds of '50's covers. It's a soundboard, it's pretty awesome!

1. Sugar Baby (2 takes)

2. The Wanton Song (2 exercises)

3. The Rover (2 takes)

4. School Days

5. Nadine

6. Round And Round

7. Move On Down The Line

8. Love Me Like A Hurricane

9. C'mon Pretty Baby

10. Shakin' All Over

11. Hungry For Love

12. I'll Never Get Over You

13. Reelin' And Rockin'

14. Surrender

We all know of the LZ connection to the Yardbirds......

It's a soundcheck/rehearsal from Chicago 1973 where they play all kinds of '50's covers. It's a soundboard, it's pretty awesome!

1. Sugar Baby (2 takes)

2. The Wanton Song (2 exercises)

3. The Rover (2 takes)

4. School Days

5. Nadine

6. Round And Round

7. Move On Down The Line

8. Love Me Like A Hurricane

9. C'mon Pretty Baby

10. Shakin' All Over

11. Hungry For Love

12. I'll Never Get Over You

13. Reelin' And Rockin'

14. Surrender

Wooooow...thanx for that! :)

hmm...i just found *another* "tribute to johnny kidd and the pirates" by LZ...with 28 tracks!

i was gonna buy it, but i will first ask the seller if it is a soundboard.

I'm afraid i don't usually like the lesser sound quality recordings, even if they are the only way (currently) to get what are considered some of the best live performances

I was "pubbin'" the other day with colleagues and friends and as usual, serious talk started on rock, music and Led Zeppelin of course. I knew Johnny Kidd and the Pirates and I've got various albums by the band. One guy comes up and says that Led Zep would have never taken off it it wasn't for The Pirates' sound in the 60s. What do you all think?!

Rob

Probably too many to list!! Off the top of my head:

Otis Rush

Willie Dixon

Johnny Lee Hooker

Bert Jansch (spelling?)

Little Richard

Eddie Cochran

Incredible String Band

Moby Grape

Spirit

Bob Marley & the Wailers

Moroccan musicians

... and many, many more!

Johnny Kidd was a bigger influence than you might think. He taught Jimmy quite a few things back when the Crusaders were opening for the Pirates in 1960. In fact, the first song that Jimmy ever recorded was a Johnny Kidd cover.

Also, Mick Green's first professional job was replacing Jimmy Page in The Redcaps.

Johnny Kidd was a bigger influence than you might think. He taught Jimmy quite a few things back when the Crusaders were opening for the Pirates in 1960. In fact, the first song that Jimmy ever recorded was a Johnny Kidd cover.

Also, Mick Green's first professional job was replacing Jimmy Page in The Redcaps.

I heard that from Big Bloke on The Pirates' site.

Rob

Jimmy said in an interview once he was influenced by the Beatles because they wrote their own songs.

Elvis was the reason Jimmy Page first played guitar. He's the biggest influence on Zeppelin probably. But there's a lot of blue guys like Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Robert Johnson that are obvious in their lyrics.

Archived