Southampton 22-Jan-1973 show radio broadcast ?

TontoZep

I have recently purchased "Inner City Blues" [Old Refectory gig 22nd January 1973, 2022 Wicker Man] cd from Amazon UK.   Various Zepp live cds have become available on Amazon UK, presumably because these recordings are now over 50 years old and outside copyright?

Amazon UK link

Anyways, my question is:   was this concert actually "from a live broadcast" in UK ?  which it says on the cd info.  I know the BBC had various radio concert broadcasts, but I have not seen anything written about a Southampton live broadcast.  Perhaps a local radio station broadcast.

The cd sound quality is great.

Thanks for any info.

Hi TontoZep, These so called 'gray' releases are maybe  possible through the  European copyright loopholes. The radio broadcast moniker is the most obvious excuse for these labels, because the public domain aspect. The majority of the Led zeppelin releases (Texas Pop, Osaka 71,....) however are culled from soundboard recordings that started to emerge in the late 80' and 90's but also from the new millennium. The avid silver collector would buy these recordings from labels such as Condor, Scorpio, Midas Touch, Empress Valley,...sometimes with hefty price tags. The above mentioned Southampton 73 source is not a classic SB, but a mix down from 16 (multi) track recordings commissioned by the band. It was an extra gig added to the 72/73 UK tour itinerary. A professional recording, most likely  considered for possible official release. In the end the only snippet that would see official release was the mellotron flute/recorder track from  Stairway that was used to take the place of the Hammond Organ flute  segment on How the West was won. The sonic quality compared to Liverpool, Dundee, Stoke on Trent from the same tour is an obvious give away. All I can say is...enjoy!!! 

5 hours ago, TontoZep said:

I have recently purchased "Inner City Blues" [Old Refectory gig 22nd January 1973, 2022 Wicker Man] cd from Amazon UK.   Various Zepp live cds have become available on Amazon UK, presumably because these recordings are now over 50 years old and outside copyright?

Amazon UK link

Anyways, my question is:   was this concert actually "from a live broadcast" in UK ?  which it says on the cd info.  I know the BBC had various radio concert broadcasts, but I have not seen anything written about a Southampton live broadcast.  Perhaps a local radio station broadcast.

The cd sound quality is great.

Thanks for any info.

I would be 99.9% positive that this show was never broadcast in the U.K. As duckman has stated, this "broadcast" moniker is just a ruse to try and legitimise this and other live recordings of not only Led Zeppelin but many other bands as well.

Definitely not broadcasted. If it had been, then you would have seen bootlegs of the show popping up immediately, much like the April 1, 1971 Paris Theatre BBC show was everywhere following the broadcast.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:53 AM, Strider said:

Definitely not broadcasted. If it had been, then you would have seen bootlegs of the show popping up immediately, much like the April 1, 1971 Paris Theatre BBC show was everywhere following the broadcast.

Good point and definitely. Like whenever JP worked on any archive release or any of those greatest hits projects certain tracks became available on the market. With the first box set there were things like the great outtake of No Quarter and Jennings Farm Blues among them and the second set of this three years later we got some of the Zep I alternate takes as well as Baby Come On Home. Also with the first box set there were a few tracks that appeared that would later be on HTWWW. This always seems to happen with these releases.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just listening to it.

Before WLL Robert mentions going to the toilet and reading a man's name on the wall, Alan Whitehead.

I googled the name and the MP for Southampton bears that name.

What's more he is an alumni from Southampton University, and he seems to have gotten his PhD there in 1976.

This would make him a prime candidate for this dedication of WLL.

Alan Whitehead - Wikipedia

Edited by RaKaCHa