Mystery version of Whole Lotta Love

Zep Hed

Any guesses? Could it be a lost encore from Texas Pop? Slightly flat soundboard? Check. Plant's voice ripped to shreds? Check. A fitting end to the summer tour? It fits. I think I've compared this to all the known versions of WLL from April to August 69. Doesn't seem to match any. Hmmm. Do we have something here?

Edited by Zep Hed

OK I'm with you. And that one has the intro as well. So are we to believe Plant's voice was that  different only 5 days after Winterland? And during the intro he says "Thanks for asking us back." They'd never been to Irvine before. Only LA and San Francisco (in California) to that point. I'd question Irvine as the venue.

I take it to mean 'thanks for asking us back' for another encore.  Who knows, could be a different date than Irvine, was just going by the original post.  As for his voice, it did sometimes change noticeably from night to night even in '69. Consider Danish TV, then Supershow the next night.

I'll just add "Thanks for asking us back" would also fit Texas. They were in Texas a few weeks prior and it didn't go well. They were pleased the return was a positive experience, and Plant thanked the audience more than once throughout the show. Irvine is a tenuous theory imo.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2023 at 12:47 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

4/27/69-Fillmore West final encore 

This does seem like the most likely source - it's obviously a very early version of the song and the sound quality is somewhat similar to the 2nd half of the Fillmore show. it's a shame so much of the song is missing.