Music Festival

lzfan715

I'm going to post more pics...and my memoirs of this festival...the largest I've ever been to. It's still gonna take a bit, I have some stuff to retrieve.

crater72.jpg

This was recorded there...and some friends, along with myself are actually in the foldout of the album cover. I have the cd..no longer have the album jacket...but will eventually get the photo...and post it...I may have to photo the photo itself..in the cd artwork, it's very small and in black and white...it's color in the album jacket...'foldout' photo is reminicent of the Woodstock album stage and crowd shot...

Santana_And_Buddy_Miles%20-%20Front%20Cover.jpg

Ok...so today I found the original album at my local record shop and photo'd the pics inside....first is the bigger crowd picture....

24qmv0x.jpg

and I zoomed in on my friend Ken and I....He's in the brown shirt with his arms crossed looking at me, and I'm in the green shirt, blonde hair....looking at the stage. We're below the photo of Santana (above, click on it ) in the middle of the picture about an inch or so below him....We were about 50-60 feet from the stage....Sorry the close up is a bit fuzzy...but the album is 1972 and not the clearest best put together artwork ! :lol:

28auzc0.jpg

More to come. :)

who cares if its fuzzy, that is awesome! :D

:D

So you like ? :blush:

Here's a couple of pictures of Neal Schon at the festival. He was only 16 here...looks older though, doesn't he ? But he'd just joined Santana during '71..and later was the guitarist for Journey...I helped set up the frame for the tarp cover in case of rain on the mainstage at the crack of dawn. I was 'recruited' in my high school by festival organizers...I actually got to meet Neal that day. :)

dxfnfa.jpg

zv34m8.jpg

Why did you use the expression "japped out" to describe it"? That's a racist slur. I'm surprised Jahfin, Eskimo and Ninelives haven't given you shit for it.

I never considered it racist. In fact it has been used rather losely in places I have been. Never really though about what it meant. Seems that you are out to make trouble to me. It is NOT racist. i was only talkking about having to tear up fucking Pink Floyd tickets because the asshole sold out on us. There, do you like that term better?

I never considered it racist. In fact it has been used rather losely in places I have been. Never really though about what it meant. Seems that you are out to make trouble to me. It is NOT racist. i was only talkking about having to tear up fucking Pink Floyd tickets because the asshole sold out on us. There, do you like that term better?

I'm sure assholes would take offence. Sensitive as they are. B)

Oh my hemmorhoids !!! :o

I'm sure assholes would take offence. Sensitive as they are. B)

Oh my hemmorhoids !!! :o

Yes Joel, I guess it doesnt take much to get some going. My sister married one of these asians and has asian kids. I think she has a fetish for asian men. I cant believe someone would consider that racist. And I would be very surprized to learn that Jahfin is japanese? Is he?? I thought he was fucking Johnny Cash for a long time.

Yes Joel, I guess it doesnt take much to get some going. My sister married one of these asians and has asian kids. I think she has a fetish for asian men. I cant believe someone would consider that racist. And I would be very surprized to learn that Jahfin is japanese? Is he?? I thought he was fucking Johnny Cash for a long time.

Are you a standup comic Rick ?

You have me laughing my ass off !!! :lol:

good riddance to my hemmorhoids !

And I would be very surprized to learn that Jahfin is japanese? Is he?? I thought he was fucking Johnny Cash for a long time.

How about leaving me out of this you motherfucking asshole. It's "Jethro Tull" that's obviously here just to provoke people, not me.

I missed all of this, and was just wondering if anyone had stories of any festivals that they'd like to share. It doesn't have to be from just those two, they can come from Knebworth, Days on The Green, whatever you've been to.

Post pictures, stories, videos, anything.

Thanks!

This was a show that I attended. This was a story from a local writer that just as well could have been mine except that I'm older and never had a mullet :lol:

My wife called the office recently and asked what I was writing. An appreciation of Journey, I said.

Silence.

"Of Journey?"

Yes, Journey. Perennially uncool, tragically unhip, born-and-raised-in-south-Detroit Journey.

http://' target="_blank"> Why? Because on July 17, 1983, the band blew my impressionable 15-year-old mind at Tad Gormley Stadium.

Journey topped a bill that included grizzled British rockers Foghat, local favorites Zebra and a young Canadian singer named Bryan Adams, fresh off his first hit, "Cuts Like a Knife."

To a high school sophomore newly infatuated with arena rock, a live performance by Journey -- dismissed as "corporate" schlock by every music critic in history -- qualified as a life-changing event.

The band's Egyptian scarab beetle motif, shoulder-length locks and tales of fast times and fast women evoked a mystique, attitude and life far removed from suburban ranch houses and Catholic school khaki uniforms. I scanned the credits of the double-live "Captured" album and puzzled over the name of the musicians' publishing company, Weed High Nightmare Music.

Weed High? What could that mean?

In 1983, my family's corner of eastern New Orleans wasn't wired with cable and MTV. To watch a band on TV was still a novelty -- I once snapped photos of the screen during a Journey broadcast. To see these heroes in person was beyond comprehension.

The "Rock 'n' Roll Super- bowl" in City Park was my inaugural outdoor festival, years before Jazzfest. For cousins Debbie, Cindy, Sandi and me, it was the main event on the summer social calendar.

Our chaperones, Uncle Emile and Aunt Menia, set up base camp above the fray in the stadium's bleachers. We waded into the standing-room-only crowd on the field, pressing forward as the day dragged on.

Presented with the classic outdoor summer concert conundrum -- stay put or succumb to desperate thirst paired with a full bladder -- I refused to relinquish my hard-won piece of real estate as Journey's set time approached.

Then suddenly, there they were. Singer Steve Perry sported a yellow "New Orleans" T-shirt, much to my amazement ("He knows where he is!"). The crowd surged forward, roaring. Tossed around like a twig in a stream, I screamed along to the band's FM radio anthems: "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'." "Anyway You Want It." "Lights." "Wheel in the Sky." "Open Arms." "Stone in Love." "Who's Crying Now."

Awesome.

The "Faithfully" video aired on giant screens and we cheered as Perry shaved his short-lived mustache. A galaxy of cigarette lighters -- kids, this is how concert-goers acknowledged ballads before cell phones -- flickered.

For a relatively sheltered group of teenagers, that day was an eye-opener. A stoner in a Queen shirt methodically ingested pills. Debbie and Sandi squeezed into the front row, only to flee when a guy started, shall we say, arousing himself. Twenty-three years later, Sandi is still aggrieved: "Steve Perry was singing 'Faithfully' to me, and we had to leave."

I forked over money earned cleaning toilets at an orthodontist's office for the requisite concert souvenir of the day: a three-quarter-length black-sleeve jersey adorned with the blue logo from the "Frontiers" album.

I wore that jersey proudly, even as my orthodontist employer marveled at my willingness to pay for the privilege of advertising a band. To me, of course, it wasn't about advertising: The jersey announced I had survived that day at City Park.

It also proclaimed my general allegiance to electric guitars, long hair and the visceral power of unapologetic rock 'n' roll. That was now my tribe. High school graduation couldn't come soon enough, so I could escape the dress code, pierce my ear and grow a mullet of my very own.

Forgive me -- I was young.

It also proclaimed my general allegiance to electric guitars, long hair and the visceral power of unapologetic rock 'n' roll. That was now my tribe. High school graduation couldn't come soon enough, so I could escape the dress code, pierce my ear and grow a mullet of my very own.

Farout!!! :)

This was a show that I attended. This was a story from a local writer that just as well could have been mine except that I'm older and never had a mullet :lol:

My wife called the office recently and asked what I was writing. An appreciation of Journey, I said.

Did you see the pictures of Neil Schon (of Journey, duh !) on the previous page Dzldoc ?

If you would read his post you would see he didn't mention my name at all.

The hell he didnt. He said that You and some Eskimo and Ninelives would not like it. You must not have gone back far enough. I only mentioned you again because he insinuated that you would be offended. I have no clue what your nationality or race is but told him I doubted that you were Japanese. No need to call me a motherfucker when I was actually defending you. I will take it up with him if he says any more. He obviously hasnt been online or Im sure he would have said somthing.

The hell he didnt. He said that You and some Eskimo and Ninelives would not like it. You must not have gone back far enough. I only mentioned you again because he insinuated that you would be offended. I have no clue what your nationality or race is but told him I doubted that you were Japanese. No need to call me a motherfucker when I was actually defending you. I will take it up with him if he says any more. He obviously hasnt been online or Im sure he would have said somthing.

I was referring to his initial post. The bottom line is, no one said a word when you used the term "japped out" so Jethro Tull had to bring it to everyone's attention in order to stir up more shit (which he has accomplished). No, I don't believe in such racial slurs but I'm about as politically incorrect as they come. However, I don't think that excuses the use of such terms.

I was referring to his initial post. The bottom line is, no one said a word when you used the term "japped out" so Jethro Tull had to bring it to everyone's attention in order to stir up more shit (which he has accomplished). No, I don't believe in such racial slurs but I'm about as politically incorrect as they come. However, I don't think that excuses the use of such terms.

Well Jahfin I meant no offense to anyone. It is a term used loosely around some parts and to be quite honest I just spit it out and thought nothing of it. Hell, if I had it in for asians, my nieces are half asian. My dumb ass sister married two of them. Has four kids by two of them. I was only talking about some dip shit that was supposed to drive us to Hamilton, Ontario in the early 70s and the day of the Pink Floyd concert he bailed out on us. I should have said bailed out I guess. So I was left ther holding two Pink floyd tickets and my dick.

Did you see the pictures of Neil Schon (of Journey, duh !) on the previous page Dzldoc ?

Yes great pics and ya wanna know something funny, I didn't even know Neil played for santana until after I had met my wife and started to get into Journey

10_10_3.gif :lol:

Dzldoc, thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed reading it.

And I don't know what the fighting is about, but just let it go. I'm getting tired of all the fights going on around here. Music festivals were supposed to be about peace. Let's continue that over.

Dzldoc, thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed reading it.

And I don't know what the fighting is about, but just let it go. I'm getting tired of all the fights going on around here. Music festivals were supposed to be about peace. Let's continue that over.

Dang Alicia ! All threads are potential war zones .... :lol:

You ought to read the evolution of the beef here....it's a crack-up !! Humor at it's best !

This is the main way in for the Santana/Crater Celebration Festival I've been posting here...

But I climbed over the rim at dawn to get in. I like adventure. :D

6j1sav.jpg

and another view of some crowd inside...

2zzm4v4.jpg

Edited by Joelmon

And I don't know what the fighting is about, but just let it go.

The fighting is over a poster that has a history of making racial remarks since joining the site. When no one said a word about icantquityoubabe's use of the word "japped" he had to make an issue of it, thus stirring the pot even more.