PLANET ROCK IS UP FOR SALE

TheZeppyWanderer

:o:o Despite its growing popularity, the UKs number one rock station Planet Rock has been put up for sale by its parent company - and may close down if no buyer can be found. :o:o

Current and recent presenters include :

Nicky Horne, Mark Jeeves, Bernard Doherty, Nick Abbot, Murray J, Rob Birnie, Tony Iommi (Black Sunday), Alice Cooper (Breakfast with Alice), Ian Anderson (Under The Influence), Rick Wakeman (Rick's Place), Gary Moore (Blues Power), Phil Manzanera and Guy Pratt.

"Under the Influence" must refer to tobacco or Lowenbrau, because Ian has never taken a drug in his life. I'm actually surprised he would be associated to something with drug conotations(spelling???).

It refers to his musical influences.

I was really dismayed when I read this :( . Planet Rock is my station of choice. I don't believe there are any decent alternative choices if it does close. Hey, if I win the lottery....

:beer: my thoughts entirely.

thing is, if you look at the line up of presenters, would it be out of the question for THEM to take it over ? (the price would hardly make a dent in their finances, for a start)

• 1 month later...

Some promising news! I will keep my fingers firmly crossed.

From Planet Rock's website:-

NEWS UPDATE

Tuesday 25th March 2008

As I’m sure you are all aware, Planet Rock has been under the shadow of closure since GCap announced their strategy statement on Feb 11. We were given the deadline of March 28th to find a buyer or be switched off permanently.

Since that time, several parties have come forward and expressed an interest in buying the station, and negotiations are under way. Because of this development GCap have extended the deadline until the end of April to allow these talks to continue.

We’re not out of the woods yet, nor will we be until someone completes the purchase of the station. The good news is that there is hope, and at the very least, an extra month of Planet rock.

Thanks to each and every one of you who have sent messages of support, they have meant a great deal to all of us here at Planet Rock. When we have some more news you will be the first to know.

:beer: aaahhh gottit ! here it is, the latest poll from the station .......

" THE TOP 40 ULTIMATE DRIVING SONGS, AS VOTED FOR BY YOU "

(13,649 entries having a maximum of 3 votes each, = 40,947 total votes)

1) Radar Love - Golden Earring

2) Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf

3) Highway Star - Deep Purple

4) Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf

5) Highway To Hell - AC/DC

6) Freebird - Lynryd Skynryd

7) More Than A Feeling - Boston

8) Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

9) Speed King - Deep Purple

10) Ace Of Spades - Motorhead

11) Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

12) All Right Now - Free

13) Sweet Home Alabama - Lynryd Skynryd

14) The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy

15) KASHMIR - LED ZEPPELIN

16) Sweet Child Of Mine - Guns 'N Roses

17) ROCK AND ROLL - LED ZEPPELIN

18) Running Down A Dream - Tom Petty

19) Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

20) Silver Machine - Hawkwind

21) Paradise City - Guns 'N Roses

22) Hotel California - Eagles

23) Boys Of Summer

24) Wheels Of Steel - Saxon

25) Red Bachetta - Rush

26) Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

27) Summer Of '69 - Bryan Adams

28) Here I Go Again - Whitesnake

29) Spirit Of Radio - Rush

30) Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC

31) Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi

32) Jessica - Allman Brothers

33) Layla - Derek And The Dominoes

34) Back In Black - AC/DC

35) Burn - Deep Purple

36) L A Woman - Doors

37) Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple

38) STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN - LED ZEPPELIN

39) You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC

40) IMMIGRANT SONG - LED ZEPPELIN

Hey! Why don't we here at lz.com donate money and buy the station in the name of Led Zeppelin? Then keep it exactly the way it is...

Yes, I have listened, BTW, via the net, and I have enjoyed it every time.

Hey! Why don't we here at lz.com donate money and buy the station in the name of Led Zeppelin? Then keep it exactly the way it is...

Yes, I have listened, BTW, via the net, and I have enjoyed it every time.

:) It truly is a great station, Nathan - I for one have never been disappointed by any show.

Just wish I COULD afford to buy it ... :rolleyes:

:)It truly is a great station, Nathan - I for one have never been disappointed by any show.

Just wish I COULD afford to buy it ... :rolleyes:

Seconded! It's the one station that's constant. Where else can you hear songs from the likes of Robin Trower and Family? And during peak time? Alice Cooper is awesome as a DJ and Rick Wakeman is genuinely funny...not like that fat geezer off a certain BBC breakfast show who thinks the sun shines out of his a**e. Keep rockin' Planet Rock...hopefully!! :D

Archived