The Oriental Album project

moonson

Just thought it might be nice to also have an EASTERN sounding comp album of LZ stuff.

here´s my suggestions:

Black Mountain Side (Tabla & modal guitar tuning)

Friends (indian version)

Four Sticks (indian version)

Kashmir

In the Light (eastern drone, sarangi [indian violin] - like keys, majestic riff)

Achilles Last Stand (Greece has alyways been a region where eastern & western culture meet)

In the Evening

- what else ?

-------------------------------------------

would´ve loved to see Jones & Bonham work Yallah! (The Truth Explodes)

or Most High.

There are lots of more eastern tunes on individual solo albums if u need to fill gaps:

JP: Lucifer Rising Soundtrack

JPJ: Goose, Tidal and some on the Sporting Life album (with Diamanda Galas)

RP: Slow Dancer, Calling to you or Wreckless Love.

The Firm: Cadillac, Satisfaction Guaranteed

A Qawwali version of Kashmir. Plant's singing is heavily influenced by the sufi singers on kashmir.

Bhangra cover of misty mountain hop. Thats a punjabi genre, thats kind of like R and B. substitute Dhols for drums but keep the keyboard riff.

Dhols for whole lotta love as well. again, plant sounds like a sufi singer in that.

listen to some music by nusrat fateh ali khan, that'll give you an idea of what sufism is about.

Sitar in battle of evermore and stairway. you could even do the solo with a sitar

A Qawwali version of Kashmir. Plant's singing is heavily influenced by the sufi singers on kashmir.

Bhangra cover of misty mountain hop. Thats a punjabi genre, thats kind of like R and B. substitute Dhols for drums but keep the keyboard riff.

Dhols for whole lotta love as well. again, plant sounds like a sufi singer in that.

listen to some music by nusrat fateh ali khan, that'll give you an idea of what sufism is about.

Sitar in battle of evermore and stairway. you could even do the solo with a sitar

hey Ringwraith

i am no stranger to qawwali music or Nusrat & party, of course.

you got some fine ideas here for new recordings (what about a Thoombi for the Whole Lotta Love riff?) but i was actually referring to EXISTING recordings.

try & find the 1972 Bombay sessions of JP & RP if u haven´t heard these yet.

And it would be a LOT of fun to mash up some Dhols with Bonzo´s Montreux!

hey Ringwraith

you got some fine ideas here for new recordings (what about a Thoombi for the Whole Lotta Love riff?) but i was actually referring to EXISTING recordings.

I opened this thinking it would be news on the '71 Japan tour tapes ;)

sorry it was not what u expected, but yes, we def should include the JPJ´s melltron improvisation of "Sakura Sakura" (Cherry Blossom) from this tour!

F'n BRILLIANT!! Now, that would be a very, very, cool new Zeppelin release. Great ideas Ring - keep 'em comin'!

hey Ringwraith

where could i find these without illegally downloading them, any site where u could order these, because there aren't too many zeppelin session tapes available where i'm from. but i do remember hearing a JP and RP version of battle of evermore with an indian singer doing the "dance in the dark night" part. is that included in the bombay sessions?

nice to hear that nusrat's got some fans on this forum

where could i find these without illegally downloading them, any site where u could order these, because there aren't too many zeppelin session tapes available where i'm from. but i do remember hearing a JP and RP version of battle of evermore with an indian singer doing the "dance in the dark night" part. is that included in the bombay sessions?

Sorry to disappoint you, but i think there are no legal recordings of the 72 bombay sessions out. but if u know s.o who knows so.o it should not be a big problem to find and download these recordings on the net. The webmasterd here do not allow to post links for these downloads, so u gotta help yourself, GOOGLE. but don´t be too excited about these sessions - it´s more like rehearsals.

The Battle of Evermore with british -asian singer Najma Aktar was from the Unledded project in 1994, also in the video.

nice to hear that nusrat's got some fans on this forum

Nusrat was the man, still is! saw him live on a festival in the late 80s and then comletely forgot about it until in the late 90s there was a remix album on real world records.

gotta love his work!

Archived