What's Everyone Listening To?

Jahfin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

R.E.M. performing at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ on October 12, 1984 which is now streaming at Wolfgang's Vault.

**Edited to add: the "We Walk" on here that takes detours into "Afterhours" (Velvet Underground) and "Behind Closed Doors" (Charlie Rich) is absolutely fucking EPIC. Same thing for Peter Holsapple's (the dB's) vocal turn on "Sloop John B" (which, unfortunately, gets cut off right at the end). Be sure to stick around for "Louie, Louie" at the end. I'm not positive but that sounds like Holsapple chiming in on that one as well. All of which makes complete sense since the dB's opened the show.

Edited by Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

512l3%2Bjeq4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg41bp5%2BxSpqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51PZfO7wB8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg41K04DXNR1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg41R8QS9Q5SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

^Terry Anderson and the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team

This listening session inspired by David Menconi's new book Ryan Adams: Losering, A Whiskeytown Story. Most of these find their way into my regular rotation anyway but as I make my way through David's book I've been compelled to listen to them with new ears. Hopefully those less familiar with the Backsliders, Six String Drag, the $2 Pistols and some of the other groups mentioned in the book will also be prompted to seek these records out. Whiskeytown is one of my all time favorite bands to ever come out of this area but the music their contemporaries were making (and continue to make) are just as remarkable and worthy of everyone's attention as any record Whiskeytown ever recorded.

4910b220dca0bc2d1f159010.L._AA300_.jpg51uQt7kWXuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51XA3116KRL._SL500_AA300_.jpgbbb179edd7a001d466d67110.L._AA300_.jpg

Edited by Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...
264071_4738966237992_391068928_n.jpg2012 is far from over but this record is a very strong contender for the #1 slot in my year end best of list. Definitely a bit of a departure from his previous solo albums (Killers and Stars, Murdering Oscar) as well as his work with the Drive-By Truckers.