Hagar to hit studio with new supergroup

Gibson Interview: Sammy Hagar Talks Chickenfoot, Guitars, And Songwriting

To paraphrase a well-known ad slogan, with a name like Chickenfoot they had better be good.

And are they ever. Comprised of guitar maestro Joe Satriani, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith, and Van Halen alumni Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony, the star-studded Chickenfoot is one of those rare supergroups whose whole is better than the sum of its parts. First and foremost they are a band – a well-oiled unit that sounds as if its members have been playing together for years rather than just months.

Released in June, Chickenfoot’s self-titled debut rocks with a vengeance, mixing scorched-earth metal with good-timey riff-rock in ways that bring to mind more virtuosic versions of, say, AC/DC or Grand Funk Railroad. On tour, the band has been treating fans to a well-rounded set that includes such treats as the Montrose classic “Bad Motor Scooter” and Deep Purple’s “Highway Star,” as well as all the songs from the Chickenfoot album.

While recording the studio disc, Hagar left all the six-string duties to Satriani, but on-stage the charismatic frontman breaks out his trusty Explorer Pro and his Les Paul for several songs. In this first installment of a two-part interview, the veteran singer talks about the Chickenfoot’s chemistry, how Satriani differs from Eddie Van Halen, and his go-to guitars.

What was the original motivation to form Chickenfoot?

Well, I’m a “10-year” kind of guy. After about a decade of doing something, I get kind of antsy and bored, and I want to play with other people. Of course I still have the Waboritas as my main band for the Cabo Wabo, when I do parties.

The main inspiration for Chickenfoot is that I wanted to play with the best players in the business – the best players at their individual instruments. Chad Smith is the best drummer, Michael Anthony is the best bass player and background singer, and Joe is the best guitar player. I wanted to put together that kind of group, and see what would happen.

Early on you described Chickenfoot as “like Cream, without the jazz, with funk mixed in.” Do you still feel that’s a pretty apt description?

Yes, it is. When I say it’s like Cream, it’s because Cream was a strange mix of players who you might not think would be compatible. You wouldn’t think Jack Bruce’s bass style, and Eric Clapton’s really elegant guitar style, and Ginger Baker’s jazzy, swing style would blend, but they did. The chemistry created a special sound. And I think that’s also what we have in Chickenfoot. Chad’s funky style, Joe’s shredding, blues-based futuristic music, and Mike’s distinctive style … you wouldn’t think those things would work, but the chemistry is very special

Were there any disadvantages to working with really seasoned musicians? Was anyone set in his ways?

There really is no disadvantage. We don’t have those problems, and I hope we never do. The advantage of playing with guys who are this good is that when someone comes up with an idea, everyone learns it in about three seconds. You get songs so quickly you never get bored, and you never feel like the songs are being beaten to death, to the point where the life comes out of them. The songs stay fresh.

How do Joe and Eddie Van Halen differ in their approach to the guitar and in their approach to songwriting?

As a writer, Joe is faster. That makes him easier for me to work with, because I come up with things really fast as well. As soon as I hear a chord structure, I have a melody, instantly. And then five seconds later I’m writing lyrics. Working with Joe is great. If I say to him, “Hey, let’s do something funky,” next thing I know he’s saying, “How about this?” It’s like, bang, he’s done. Whereas with Eddie, he would come back a week later and want to re-do something.

But that said, working with Eddie was great, and we wrote great songs together. The Van-Hagar stuff still holds up fantastically well, but it was a slow process. It took three years to write the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album. And when I tried to do the Van-Hagar reunion, in 2004, and we were trying to make a new record, Eddie could only squeeze three songs out. He’s just not as prolific, and not as fast. So that’s the difference between them as far as writing.

As far as playing goes, they’re both phenomenal. The innovations Eddie came up with in early Van Halen -- before I was in the band – were just so unique, he gets lots of points for that. But as just a straight-up player, who can play anything, and plays perfect every time, there’s no one better than Joe.

Was there ever any consideration of your playing some guitar on the Chickenfoot album? Or did you feel that doing so might interfere with your giving enough emphasis to vocals?

I did want to put my emphasis on vocals, but had there been a need for me to play guitar, I would have played. Things were moving really fast. Joe and I would get together, and he would write some music, and I would come up with some words and melody. It happened so fast there wasn’t time for me to learn the guitar part. First thing I knew, the song we were working on would be finished, and in the can. It took just 43 days in the studio write and record the whole album.

How did you settle on your Explorer Pro as one of your main guitars? What features do you like most about it?

First of all, I like the way it looks. I also love the fact that on the Explorer I can get up to the high notes. And of course it sounds fantastic. The front pickup has a special sound. When you turn the volume back just a bit, it cleans up. It’s kind of fat and round – which I really like. I’m not a Strat player at all, but the Explorer has something that’s a bit Stevie Ray Vaughan-like when you turn that front pickup back a bit. I really love it.

You also play a Les Paul Studio guitar. Which features of that guitar – sound-wise and playability-wise – appeal to you most?

I think the Les Paul Studio guitar is the most versatile, all-round, out-of-sight guitar there is. First of all, I don’t use any effects – no pedals, nothing. I plug that guitar directly into the amp. When you hit a big power chord on that guitar -- through, say, a Marshall that’s really cranked up -- the Les Paul has a grunt and a growl that’s unbeatable. And when you turn the volume back, on the amp, and play with a clean sound, it’s got a nice rock and roll punch. If I were allowed to have just one guitar, it would be the Les Paul.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

I saw em live at Chicago theatre about 2 months ago, and I thought they were great. Certainly not as good as Zeppelin, although they claim they sound like them. The truth is they don't. At all. But they can rock pretty hard, and Satch pulled a Hendrix and solo'd with his teeth, so they earned my respect.

I caught the final show in Atlantic City, NJ. I thought they blended perfectly as a rock band. I've seen alot of great guitarists many times, but my first time for Satriani. Holy cow. Talk about speed. I think they are an excellent mix of musicians and it sounds like good old rock and roll.

Considering their age they absolutely rocked and had one kick ass show. For the encore they did "My Generation" and the drummer kicked over the drums, haggar knocked over the speakers, bang on the drum. I don't know if that was only for the finale show of the tour or not, but it was very cool. How Rock and Roll!!!

Did they do that in Chicago??

Zeppelin - no. Satriani is probably faster then Page, but not even close in many ways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...