Is Bonzo the Hendrix of Drums

McSeven

Personally I would say yes he is.

Hes one of the rare drummers that are so intune that simply by hearing the drum beat you associate the lyrics with them. For example Misty Mountain Hop (studio recorded) the beat makes me run through the corresponding lyrics in my head.

I think this is the greatest feat any drummer can achieve personally.

I've also noticed that most bands shift through drummers a lot, not with Bonzo though.

Also is it just me (or where I live) or does it seem everyone just wants to play guitar and/or sing nowadays?

• 2 weeks later...
No one in the world of rock drumming is as revered as Bonzo. The only person talked about in a demigod status when it comes to music is Jim Morrison of the Doors for singers. Hendrix for Guitar.

What can Bonzo do that other drummers can't?

Mc7

Bonzo attacked the drums with such power and adversity that not many drummers are like that. Then again, its really hard to compare Bonzo to Keith Moon or Keith Moon to Bonzo because both of their styles are different. The same goes for Ginger Baker, Gene Krupa and Neil Peart. Although Bonzo did copy a little from Ginger Baker as far as power drumming goes because Ginger Baker was a power drummer. Bonzo made no big secret that Ginger Baker was a big influence in his drumming abilities and techniques. You have to admit that Michael Lee plays a lot like a young John Bonham, what do you think?

And what he did with a single bass pedal only double bass pedal drummers can achieve now.

Common misconception, look up a man by the name of Derek Roddy. He's famous for the "Single Pedal Blastbeat".

Oh, and unlike most drummers nowadays he does not use drum triggers (electronic devices made so that when you hit the drums a digital signal is used to create a sharper clearer sound). So what you're hearing is the real thing.

But you have to give Bonham credit for pioneering the use of a single pedal in the way he did.

There's another guy out there that was right with John: Keith Moon.

They BOTH were phenominal and, in my humble opinion, have never been equaled. Yes, there are faster drummers; more technical drummers, more musically talented drummers...but those two are in a class all their own. They are brothers of a sort.

They both play with not only passion, but wreckless abandon. How hard they hit was really amazing. They could make their drums sound like no other. Like cannon.

They do that these days with synthesisers and mics. Back then, it was simply them and a simple kit.

Was John the Hendrix of drums? Yes. Yes he was. He wasn't very technical at all. He had no real musical talent or education as such. He just dove in head long, plowed into it and came out on the other side not really knowing what he had just done.

And it sounded out of this world. And still does to this day.

Regards,

Tom

Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all....of the two drummers, I would say Keith was more likely to have been playing with somewhat reckless abandon, and much less likely to be able to express in musical terms what he had just done.

As much as I love Keith, he was all flair, and didn't always play for the song.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that at all....of the two drummers, I would say Keith was more likely to have been playing with somewhat reckless abandon, and much less likely to be able to express in musical terms what he had just done.

As much as I love Keith, he was all flair, and didn't always play for the song.

Thank you, Keith Moon is perhaps the most overrated drummer of all time. He had a terrible sense of groove and horrible rudiments.

For example...

This makes me want to bash my head into the wall, more so that people are giving it good comments.

Many a drummer would destroy him in sense of balance, time, and groove. I know I'll probably be torn to bits by rabid Who fans, but seriously, he was an exceedingly average drummer.

And just because you had no education and were self taught, that's no reason you can't be technically sound. There are many extremely technically proficient drummers who never had a lesson in their life.

Thank you, Keith Moon is perhaps the most overrated drummer of all time. He had a terrible sense of groove and horrible rudiments.

For example...

This makes me want to bash my head into the wall, more so that people are giving it good comments.

Many a drummer would destroy him in sense of balance, time, and groove. I know I'll probably be torn to bits by rabid Who fans, but seriously, he was an exceedingly average drummer.

And just because you had no education and were self taught, that's no reason you can't be technically sound. There are many extremely technically proficient drummers who never had a lesson in their life.

Mostly agreed.

keith is better than average... average for the time was Ringo, and Charlie Watts. Keith unfortunately was addled by drugs too often, but much of Live at Leeds shows what keith was capable of in his lucid moments. Happy Jack from that album is not the work of an exceedingly average drummer!

That was kind of the beauty of the Who back then though....if you wanted a slick effort then look elsewhere, but if you wanted raw almost punk energy mixed with a healthy dose of rock excess...well, they were your band, and keith Moon warts and all fit them to a "T".

Just like the NBA, i'd give keith the mid-level exception. :D

Mostly agreed.

keith is better than average... average for the time was Ringo, and Charlie Watts. Keith unfortunately was addled by drugs too often, but much of Live at Leeds shows what keith was capable of in his lucid moments. Happy Jack from that album is not the work of an exceedingly average drummer!

That was kind of the beauty of the Who back then though....if you wanted a slick effort then look elsewhere, but if you wanted raw almost punk energy mixed with a healthy dose of rock excess...well, they were your band, and keith Moon warts and all fit them to a "T".

Just like the NBA, i'd give keith the mid-level exception. :D

Yep, I guess they aren't my thing really. But hey, I have absolutely NO problem with other people liking them. It's when people exaggerate his abilities that I get angry. He may have been the right drummer for that band, but he doesn't stand alone as one of the greats.

I'll concede that the group as a whole helped influence the Rock and Punk scene as well. But why can't people just admit that they weren't the most stellar musicians? What is this obsession with putting them on such a pedestal? You're not going to find the most talented musician of any instrument in the Rock genre, sorry but it's true. Let alone Keith Moon.

And I repeat, this does not make them a bad band. I personally do not enjoy them, but only for purely aesthetic reasons of my own. For example, I'm a fan of The Velvet Underground, but I can admit that they could barely play their instruments. But that doesn't stop me from thinking their music is nothing but pure genius.

Sorry for going completely off topic from the original post, this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Archived