Plant and Krauss Mohegan Sun Conn.

pinky

I noticed that plant overwhelmingly drowned out Krauss and thank god for that but was it the same at any other shows?. It was a pretty good show but bluegrass aint my thing so I'll give it a 7/10. I was surprised when no one caught Black Dog until the vocals came in and I think I sacared the old guy next to me when I shouted at the top of my lungs when I heard "Hey hey momma" and I was quite dissapointed they didn't play Hey Hey What Can I Do. They didn't even play When The Levee Breaks wich is fine because I didn't really enjoy the Plant, Krauss version.

I noticed that plant overwhelmingly drowned out Krauss and thank god for that but was it the same at any other shows?. It was a pretty good show but bluegrass aint my thing so I'll give it a 7/10. I was surprised when no one caught Black Dog until the vocals came in and I think I sacared the old guy next to me when I shouted at the top of my lungs when I heard "Hey hey momma" and I was quite dissapointed they didn't play Hey Hey What Can I Do. They didn't even play When The Levee Breaks wich is fine because I didn't really enjoy the Plant, Krauss version.

Why is it good that Plant drowned out Alison Krauss? And who cares if they didn't play Hey, Hey What Can I Do? This is a Plant/Krauss tour, not a Led Zeppelin one. I'm also not sure where people keep getting the "bluegrass" thing from. That may be big part of Alison's background but there's a diverse array of musical styles at work on Raising Sand and in Plant and Krauss' live show, not just bluegrass.

That wasn't the case at any of the shows I saw or others I've heard recordings of. She has an amazing voice live so I don't see how you think drowning it out would be a good thing.

It wasn't like that at the 2 shows I've seen either. I found Alison's voice to be more dominate than anything else. I think she thought that too because there were times when I saw her do the motion to the side to say "turn it down".

I say thank god for that because I only went because it was PLANT & Krauss I dont like Allison's style of music.

That doesn't make much (if any) sense to me. While Raising Sand is much more than either Plant or Krauss have ever done before, it is also infused strongly with her many influences. I get the impression many fans have been attending these shows expecting some sort of Led Zeppelin thing. If they had listened to Raising Sand, saw CMT's Crossroads, sampled the clips on YouTube or downloaded any of the live shows from online sites such as Dime-A-Dozen, they would know exactly what they're getting into. It's not some sort of Led Zeppelin rehash.

That doesn't make much (if any) sense to me. While Raising Sand is much more than either Plant or Krauss have ever done before, it is also infused strongly with her many influences. I get the impression many fans have been attending these shows expecting some sort of Led Zeppelin thing. If they had listened to Raising Sand, saw CMT's Crossroads, sampled the clips on YouTube or downloaded any of the live shows from online sites such as Dime-A-Dozen, they would know exactly what they're getting into. It's not some sort of Led Zeppelin rehash.

Jahfin are you Plant or Krauss's tour manager.......................lol

Jahfin are you Plant or Krauss's tour manager.......................lol

That was merely my assessment of how several posters here seem to think the Plant/Krauss tour is somehow supposed to be some sort of Led Zeppelin show. How does that make me their "tour manager"?

I'm also not sure where people keep getting the "bluegrass" thing from. That may be big part of Alison's background but there's a diverse array of musical styles at work on Raising Sand and in Plant and Krauss' live show, not just bluegrass.

Kinda like Pat Boone releasing a heavy metal collection. When artists start straying TOO far from their roots it starts looking like a gimmick.

Kinda like Pat Boone releasing a heavy metal collection. When artists start straying TOO far from their roots it starts looking like a gimmick.

Except in this case I don't think Plant is straying from his "roots" at all or that Raising Sand is a gimmick. A glance through the record collections of Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham (of the John Henry variety, may he rest in peace) would reveal a very diverse selection of their musical tastes. I recall reading more than one article from back in the day of how they couldn't wait to hit the record stores when they came to the U.S. so they could add to their own collections.

Sure does look that way! :D

How is that? I was merely expressing my assessment of how several posters here seem to believe the Plant/Krauss tour is supposed to be some sort of Led Zeppelin show. How does that make me their "tour manager"?

Except in this case I don't think Plant is straying from his "roots" at all or that Raising Sand is a gimmick. A glance through the record collections of Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham (of the John Henry variety, may he rest in peace) would reveal a very diverse selection of their musical tastes. I recall reading more than one article from back in the day of how they couldn't wait to hit the record stores when they came to the U.S. so they could add to their own collections.

I'm not as critical of the situation as you might think. I love bluegrass and AND the eclectic nature of Zeppelins music. That being said, I'd probably be more supportive if Robert was more productive through the years, instead of out of the blue releasing RS. Could you imagine if he had gone off on this tangent in 1972 with an artist closely aligned with the bluegrass scene?

I'm not as critical of the situation as you might think. I love bluegrass and AND the eclectic nature of Zeppelins music. That being said, I'd probably be more supportive if Robert was more productive through the years, instead of out of the blue releasing RS. Could you imagine if he had gone off on this tangent in 1972 with an artist closely aligned with the bluegrass scene?

Exactly how "productive" should Plant have been? He's been the most prolific member of Led Zeppelin by far so I'm not sure where you're coming from with that. As for releasing Raising Sand "out of the blue", I'm don't understand your viewpoint there either. It was a very natural progression that began with Plant and Krauss meeting one another during a tribute to Leadbelly and it grew from there. If Plant had done something similar back in 1972 I have no idea of the reception but both he and Page have made it very clear over the years that they're also fans of other types of music such as the folk of Joni Mitchell and Crosby, Stills & Nash that informed much of the acoustic material of Led Zeppelin III.

Archived