Gibson melody Maker

mightyzep247

I need a new guitar and I want a Gibson(or something good) but I'm only 13 so I don't have a lot of money or the patience to save up. So I have been looking into Gibson Melody Makers and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about Melody Makers. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for guitars in the $400 range. Thanks.

The MM was Gibson's beginer model from way back in the 1950's. Back then being able to get a relatively cheap, basic but well made guitar made it a solid choice as a learner's instrument. The budget market was only in its infancy...

Things have changed a lot these days. For the same money now nearly every manufacturer does a very capable range of low price, well spec'ed guitars that can make the ol' Melody Maker seem, well, basic.

Go to the store & try a few different things out - see what you like: it has to feel comfortable in the hands. Your hands...

I agree. You'll find a lot of advice on this site, from many posters, myself included, that you have to play the guitar before you even think of buying it. Price and name don't necessarily guarantee a good instrument. Play as many as you possibly can. You'll know the right one when you play it.

Not sure if you've got the MM yet. But if not have a think about Epiphone Guitars they're pretty good value for money. However, the bottom line is right guitar for you is the one that feels right and sounds right and don't rush this or go on looks - I've been playing for 25 yrs and recently spent 4 hours in a shop choosing between 2 guitars. Hope this helps.SS

Not sure if you've got the MM yet. But if not have a think about Epiphone Guitars they're pretty good value for money. However, the bottom line is right guitar for you is the one that feels right and sounds right and don't rush this or go on looks - I've been playing for 25 yrs and recently spent 4 hours in a shop choosing between 2 guitars. Hope this helps.SS

I have to second the Epi recomendation, but a MM still has the potential to be a bad ass guitar.

I spend some time trying out guitars, but I tend to narrow it down to a particular guitar, then put it through it's paces, as opposed to gettin a whole stable of similar guitars.

I was lookin for a Strat. I researched online. Found some independent reviews. Checked out the finishes, and picked a few of my favorites. Called all the Guitar Centers within a few hours and seen what they had to offer. 2 different GC's in St Lou had my 2 top color/neck(maple) choices. So, I grabbed the cash, and I drove to both stores tried each of them out, through the same model of amp, with the same settings. They were both fairly similar, but one seemed to have a little something extra to its sound. I spent around 4 hours shopping, and I came out with what has already been called "the nicest strat I have ever seen or played" by a local guitar shop owner.

For those wondering, I got an Am. Std. in Sienna Sunburst w/a maple neck.

I don't have it yet. I still have to get the money when my birthday comes. But, I do have an Epi already and I am satisfied with it, but I think the MM is really different because Epi's usually have Humbuckers and I've been looking for a single coil guitar with a Gibson sized neck. I found that in the MM. The MM has a really comfortable neck, too.

• 2 months later...

Re: original post.

I bought a Gibson Melody Maker (the 1959 reissue model) two weeks ago, and can say that these guitars are good for the money. The solid mahogany, lightweight slab body will not be to everyone's taste, but the neck is not too thick and frets are well finished. Although not a Jazz guitar, the single coil pickup can handle a wide range of styles. The only adjustment I initially made was to lower the action as it was set too high at the factory for my playing preference; otherwise it was fine.

I have over 40 years playing experience, and although such an instrument is not realistically comparable to a Les Paul or other high-end Gibsons (costing a great deal more), it is far from an inferior guitar, which balances well in a sitting or standing playing position.

RB

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, everyone, but I forgot to say that I got the MM about two months ago :lol:

It's one of the reissues but according to the guy in the store, they're better than the originals. I've never played an original but I can say that the reissue of the Melody Maker is kick ass. I would totally recommend it to anybody. It's only got one pickup but the pickup is very diverse. I guess I'll say if Gibson made a telecaster, this would be it. I like it more than all of the Tele's I've tried, but that's just me. B)

Despite the basic construction of these guitars (which helps keep the costs down) they are surprisingly resonant and responsive to the touch. The resonance of the wood is a major contributor to the sound of an instrument, whether it be a solid body or acoustic model. If it sounds good unplugged it has the potential to sound just as good when amplified.

RB

Archived