Did Led Zeppelin really rip off other artists?

• 2 weeks later...

It cheeses me off to no end how Zeppelin gets accused of 'appropriating' other people's songs, yet other artists such as the Stones or Bob Dylan do the same thing and they don't get crucified for it. I mean, ol' Zimmy did "In My Time Of Dying" on his first album, and no mention of Blind Willie Johnson is made: the credits read, "Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan". He does "It Hurts Me Too" by Elmore James on that gawdawful "Self Portrait" LP, yet the credits actually say, "B. Dylan". I do recall that the Stones did "Prodigal Son" on "Beggar's Banquet", credited to Jagger/Richards...until Reverend Wilkins found out about it (as I recall they thought he was dead) and Mick 'n' Keith were forced to give Wilkins credit for the tune. And, of course, "Love In Vain" on "Let It Bleed" was NOT written by Woody Payne- it's Robert Johnson. Having said that, though, Robert Johnson's songs are a bit of a grey area; they weren't 'copywritten' in the normal sense.

At least Robert Plant made a point of giving credit where credit was due when they played some of those tunes live. I won't condone Zeppelin's appropriating old blues songs and making them their own, but they weren't the only ones guilty of it.

But I suppose the bottom line is their versions are arguably the definitive ones. I mean, you mention "How Many More Times" to someone, odds are they're gonna say, "Oh, right, Led Zeppelin." Not, "Oh, right, Howlin' Wolf"...

Archived