Epiphone Page wiring.

pinky

I know that Gibsons can be re-wired in the same style as Jimmy Page but is it possible with an Epiphone Les Paul, and if so how much?

P.S.- Can you put the same pickups as Jimmy on an Epiphone. (I am well aware that it won't sound the same).

Yes you can.

Not just Epiphones, but any guitar with the same configuration (2 humbuckers, 3 way switch, 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls) can be modified in the same way.

However, before you go nuts on this can I point out for the one & a half millionth time on this (& other) forum(s) that Page had no wiring mods to his Les Paul while Zeppelin were together. All the mods (most of which were to #2, not #1, came during the 1980s.

But what the hey, try it & see if you like it - results will vary somewhat depending on your particular guitar.

Have fun.

Yes you can.

Not just Epiphones, but any guitar with the same configuration (2 humbuckers, 3 way switch, 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls) can be modified in the same way.

However, before you go nuts on this can I point out for the one & a half millionth time on this (& other) forum(s) that Page had no wiring mods to his Les Paul while Zeppelin were together. All the mods (most of which were to #2, not #1, came during the 1980s.

But what the hey, try it & see if you like it - results will vary somewhat depending on your particular guitar.

Have fun.

So your'e saying his LP was nothing but your average 1959 Les Paul with neck mods. What about the one he used at the o2 arena.

Yes you can.

Have fun.

How much $?

So your'e saying his LP was nothing but your average 1959 Les Paul with neck mods. What about the one he used at the o2 arena.

Yup - 50's Les Paul, stock wiring (NB - "50's wiring" of tone & vol pots is slightly different to modern wiring. Do a search on the Les Paul Forum & be prepared for a lot of reading). All that changed was the bridge pickup which was a PAF up to mid '72, then got replaced by a T-top.

At the O2 he used that guitar as it is now: with a single push pull pot. Debate has raged over whether the 2005 Gibson signature model had the wiring right (pickups wired out of phase, push/pull for series/parallel on bridge pickup) or not (most people I would think of as experts agree the switch is for in/out of phase).

He also used his #2, which is the one with the 4 push/pulls and the all-singing-all-dancing wiring (since the 1980s).

(He also used some other guitars - I posted a full list together with the tunings for each shortly after the gig).

You ask about price. If you have a soldering iron then you can do it yourself. Just pickup the parts & Google a wiring diagram.

For instance:

Parts

http://www.fake58.co.uk/G electrics.htm

Diagram jp_stylecopy.jpg

I'm not going to lie, I've tried most of those mods and most of them are quite useless.

The only ones I'd really bother to install is a phase switch and coil splitter on the neck pickup. Outside of those, I can't ever say I found any of the other mods useful.

I'm not going to lie, I've tried most of those mods and most of them are quite useless.

The only ones I'd really bother to install is a phase switch and coil splitter on the neck pickup. Outside of those, I can't ever say I found any of the other mods useful.

Personally I aggree with you... :D

Heck, even Jimmy got put off by all the options that #2 had available - that's why the phase switch was all that he ever added to #1.

As I was reminded recently by a good friend on another forum, if you put in decent upgrades for the capacitors, pots & switch, then set the amp up right, you can get all the tones you want from a regular wired Les Paul without the hassle of "extras".

huw,

just out of curiosity, my les paul is actually wired 50s style, yet I'm still getting an annoying amount of treble loss when I turn down the volumes on my guitar, would replacing the caps help with this? the ones that are in there now are the stock ones that came on my gibson les paul studio that I bought about 7 years ago.

huw,

just out of curiosity, my les paul is actually wired 50s style, yet I'm still getting an annoying amount of treble loss when I turn down the volumes on my guitar, would replacing the caps help with this? the ones that are in there now are the stock ones that came on my gibson les paul studio that I bought about 7 years ago.

Not my area of expertise!

But there's a lot of info on the Les Paul Forum about what cap values/brands work best in what combinations etc. There's a very long running thread there just titled "wiring library" which is kind of required reading for all that stuff...

:)

• 3 weeks later...
I believe it can be dome but you'll have to rid the guitar of all the sub par wiring, and switches - wish I could help you more.

Although epi's Electronics are from gibson i doubt they would be able to be transformed with out some major surgery

Archived