Lyrics v Music

caroselambra~

Priceless

hahaha i knew someone would make fun of me for that.. but honestly i know 95 percent of what robert is saying but sometimes his voice is so powerful its hard but it always sounds good and goes with the melody so i always get a feeling when i hear his voice and no other voice does that for me

hahaha i knew someone would make fun of me for that.. but honestly i know 95 percent of what robert is saying but sometimes his voice is so powerful its hard but it always sounds good and goes with the melody so i always get a feeling when i hear his voice and no other voice does that for me

That's cool! I couldn't help it, when you went all mushy over Plant like that. Although I concentrate on the instrumentals more, I can't read music or play any instrument... So it's not that much different than enjoying a vocalist without understanding the words?

Maybe it's fair to say that music is the main thing in LZ, but I don't think lyrics are irrelevant in any way either. Just think about the Immigrant Song for example... Would that song really rock so divinely and put such a smile to your face if the lyrics just talked about what someone had for breakfast?

I dont know if anyone has said this or not and I am too lazy to find out. Without music, lyrics are poetry, and I have never been an avid reader of poetry. I do play guitar, and I still like to hear the music, even without lyrics when I play it. For me though it just wouldnt be the same if one of the two were missing though.

Lyrics versus music

I suppose lyrics play an important part in some kinds of music.

Political activist stuff and love songs etc.

I am of the opinion they take second stage in Zeppelin songs and are nowhere near as important as the music.

I can hardly hear the words to some of them - Carouselambra, In the Evening, Custard Pie , I’m sure there are more - and wouldn’t have a clue what was being sung/sang if I hadn't read them!

“I saw a lion he was standing alone with a tadpole in a jar”

“Darlene ooooh ooooh Darlene yeah yeah Darlene oh etc”

huh?

Zeppelin lyrics don’t have much effect on the finished product and aren’t crucial to the overall sound.

They could actually be changed to something else and it wouldn’t matter.

Maybe that says more about me than anything else :blink:

There are some Zeppelin songs that have good lyrics , but it is the music that really takes centre stage.

Robert could be singing about cookies for all I care!

“dontcha want, dontcha wanta cookie coookie cookie”

What does everyone else think?

:)

[well ,if every band had a guitarist that played with alot of emotion(i know of one in particular)<the lyrics would be almost irrelevant.Especially true in blues songs . Alot of blues singers use their voice as an instrument,where the words are secondary to the feel of it all . anyone agree?

I dont know if anyone has said this or not and I am too lazy to find out. Without music, lyrics are poetry, and I have never been an avid reader of poetry. I do play guitar, and I still like to hear the music, even without lyrics when I play it. For me though it just wouldnt be the same if one of the two were missing though.

An earlier poster said the exact same thing,

Words with no accompanying music or sung are just words, a poem if you will. You must have music or sing for the words to become a song/lyrics.

Music stands alone and doesn't need lyrics to be that.

And as far as the above post, I agree completely. Robert could be singing total gibberish and I still care more about his tone and presentation than what he was singing.

Archived