Four Sticks

singular

Hello everyone!

I recently read that Led Zeppelin, in such songs as "Going to California" and "Four Sticks" was inspired by the Pakistani form of Sufi devotional music: qawwali. This following webpage says something about some minor and major scales. But also the vocal? It says "songs such as... ... are, to our ears, drawn from traditional vocalizations of qawwali"

Where exactly in the song should Robet Plant's vocal have that twisted sound?

Im especially interested "Four Sticks" cause I am writing an assignment about it :)

Led Zeppelin and Qawwli

(it is alittle down the page)

/Singular

I'm guessing your talking about the vocals on the end of Four Sticks.

That is the part that sounds most Indian influenced.

Yep Its more Indian but its also kind of shamanic the drum part is like a meditation session in front of the fire, just before the whole tribe gets into the hysteria and get possessed with the spirits of nature :loool: And vocals are more Novaho kind mystical AND powerful :P Yep man there lots of things this man (Plant) can do :)

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone!

I recently read that Led Zeppelin, in such songs as "Going to California" and "Four Sticks" was inspired by the Pakistani form of Sufi devotional music: qawwali. This following webpage says something about some minor and major scales. But also the vocal? It says "songs such as... ... are, to our ears, drawn from traditional vocalizations of qawwali"

Where exactly in the song should Robet Plant's vocal have that twisted sound?

Im especially interested "Four Sticks" cause I am writing an assignment about it :)

Led Zeppelin and Qawwli

(it is alittle down the page)

/Singular

From what I know of Qawwali music, I don't quite see the connection between it and Robert's vocals on Four Sticks. At least to my ears.

From what I know of Qawwali music, I don't quite see the connection between it and Robert's vocals on Four Sticks. At least to my ears.

...I second that...yes...inspiration from Indian musical scales "very generally speaking"....but Not qawali specifically (I have listened to qawalil all of my life...it is not limited to this form of music only...Qawal/singer has to hold the high notes for a very very long long time, constantly...extremely difficult and complex art )

...this is the best as I can explain it...

...I second that...yes...inspiration from Indian musical scales "very generally speaking"....but Not qawali specifically (I have listened to qawalil all of my life...it is not limited to this form of music only...Qawal/singer has to hold the high notes for a very very long long time, constantly...extremely difficult and complex art )

...this is the best as I can explain it...

I sometimes think Robert Plant likes to point out musical influences just for the hell of it, to show his broad knowledge of different musical sounds.

I sometimes think Robert Plant likes to point out musical influences just for the hell of it, to show his broad knowledge of different musical sounds.

......you are absolutely right....and that is what makes Robert Plant so versatile...Robert recently said in Rolling Stones about Elvis...I knew "he wanted to express more"....that is a very deeply profound statement, not only to create more as in quantity, but also in "quality"....I am so happy for him tonight at the awards.

:D

......you are absolutely right....and that is what makes Robert Plant so versatile...Robert recently said in Rolling Stones about Elvis...I knew "he wanted to express more"....that is a very deeply profound statement, not only to create more as in quantity, but also in "quality"....I am so happy for him tonight at the awards.

:D

Don't get me wrong, Plant is an amazing song writer, composer, lyricist, etc. I think his vast knowledge of musical genres, tones, tastes is a one of his greatest attributes while at the same time, one of his greatest setbacks as he's always being accused of "thievery", to borrow from one of his own quotes.

Don't get me wrong, Plant is an amazing song writer, composer, lyricist, etc. I think his vast knowledge of musical genres, tones, tastes is a one of his greatest attributes while at the same time, one of his greatest setbacks as he's always being accused of "thievery", to borrow from one of his own quotes.

..."Thievery"....I call it inspiration...Musicians have to have an environment to share/create their work...I am sure Robert and other musicians in similar positions realize this....

Is your assignment titled " Why does everyone have to analyse the arse off everything?" it should be!

Indian influences, there were only 3 curry house in London when LZIV was released, where on earth would they have even heard the music, and more importantly get a peshwari nan?

Just enjoy the music and stop worrying about it!

Archived