Newsweek's Top 10 Songs of 2008

BUCK'EYE' DOC

I specifically cited the songs on the list in context and that's what I was referring to. I think the music on that list sucks. Anything someone says about what they like or not is purely subjective anyway (as you noted), how could it be any different ? My subjective opinion is that it SUCKS. Should I repeat that for clarity?

:rolleyes:

No need to get nasty - I clearly misread your post. Sorry.

Why? Some of it I would agree isn't my thing either but Fleet Foxes, Duffy and Gnarls Barkley's albums are really good - especially Fleet Foxes. Though I find Kanye West's persona a bit annoying, I actually like some of his music.

IMO, good music doesn't necessarily have to be something people will remember 30 years from now the way Zep or the Stones etc. are still very much listened to, discussed etc. There's lots of bands from many different eras that had one album, disappeared but I still enjoy. Just my two pence.

I wasn't referring to all modern music. Just the stuff on the list. There are some bands I really like that are around now. The Black Keys are one of my favorite bands period, let alone just modern bands, for instance. I wasn't trying to put down all modern music, just the majority of the stuff in the mainstream.

I wasn't referring to all modern music. Just the stuff on the list. There are some bands I really like that are around now. The Black Keys are one of my favorite bands period, let alone just modern bands, for instance. I wasn't trying to put down all modern music, just the majority of the stuff in the mainstream.

Definitely share your love of the Black Keys. Fantastic band. Do you like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club as well? Big fan of theirs also.

Oh my, how far we've fallen. Where did all the creativity and talent go.

It's still out there but just like always (even in the 60s and 70s) you have to look for it. That's always been a huge part of what makes being a music fan so exciting for me, the hunt and discovery of new music that moves me. Time magazine's year end top ten lists don't reflect my tastes either but it doesn't mean that all the creativity and talent are gone. Try searching out some radio stations online and/or checking out year end top ten lists from actual music publications like Mojo, Uncut, Q, Relix, Paste, etc. There's also a world of music to be discovered through satellite radio. It just depends on how much you love music and are willing to seek out new artists. Some tend to sit around hoping for the next Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Beatles, Dylan, etc. then there are others that are proactive who actually take matters into their own hands by actively looking for music that means something to them.

It is a sad day when the Jonas Brothers are in the top ten. I could be wrong, but aren't artists like the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus created for 8 year olds who watch the Disney Channel? Since when has the music on Disney been ground breaking stuff?

It's still out there but just like always (even in the 60s and 70s) you have to look for it. That's always been a huge part of what makes being a music fan so exciting for me, the hunt and discovery of new music that moves me. Time magazine's year end top ten lists don't reflect my tastes either but it doesn't mean that all the creativity and talent are gone. Try searching out some radio stations online and/or checking out year end top ten lists from actual music publications like Mojo, Uncut, Q, Relix, Paste, etc. There's also a world of music to be discovered through satellite radio. It just depends on how much you love music and are willing to seek out new artists. Some tend to sit around hoping for the next Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Beatles, Dylan, etc. then there are others that are proactive who actually take matters into their own hands by actively looking for music that means something to them.

Good point Jahfin. I do like a couple of songs on that list, but yes I agree, you have to do more searching and be willing to seek out new artists and sounds and not just go by what is in the mainstream. I will tell you this, when Robert did the Raising Sand project, it opened my ears to not only more Country and Bluegrass music, but also Americana music as well. I must say, it has been a great discovery and quite refreshing to me. :D I also really like Mojo . It has great articles and features about some artists you don't hear of everyday or haven't heard from in a while. It actually talks about music. Beats Rolling Stone anytime in my opinion!! B)

Good point Jahfin. I do like a couple of songs on that list, but yes I agree, you have to do more searching and be willing to seek out new artists and sounds and not just go by what is in the mainstream. I will tell you this, when Robert did the Raising Sand project, it opened my ears to not only more Country and Bluegrass music, but also Americana music as well. I must say, it has been a great discovery and quite refreshing to me. :D I also really like Mojo . It has great articles and features about some artists you don't hear of everyday or haven't heard from in a while. It actually talks about music. Beats Rolling Stone anytime in my opinion!! B)

I love Raising Sand and can't wait for the next Plant/Krauss project. I have been a huge fan of what's come to be known as "Americana" since I first heard Gram Parsons, Waylon Jennings, Emmylou Harris, John Prine, etc. back in the 70s. There's plenty of that kind of music still being made by artists such as Ryan Adams, Tift Merritt, Frog Holler, the Gourds, Kasey Chambers, Kathleen Edwards, the Old 97s and many, many others but it tends to fall well outside the mainstream. If you like that type of music I strongly suggest checking out the No Depression website. The magazine folded last year but has transformed into a bi-annual "bookazine". The website is very timely and stays on top of all of the latest releases and live shows.

I also agree about Mojo but I think Rolling Stone still has some good articles on occasion. Funny thing about Rolling Stone, it seems to be everyone's favorite whipping boy until they heap praise on their favorite artist/group then suddenly they are deemed worthy.

Definitely share your love of the Black Keys. Fantastic band. Do you like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club as well? Big fan of theirs also.

I actually haven't heard them yet, but I keep hearing good things about. I think I'll go have a listen.

I love Raising Sand and can't wait for the next Plant/Krauss project. I have been a huge fan of what's come to be known as "Americana" since I first heard Gram Parsons, Waylon Jennings, Emmylou Harris, John Prine, etc. back in the 70s. There's plenty of that kind of music still being made by artists such as Ryan Adams, Tift Merritt, Frog Holler, the Gourds, Kasey Chambers, Kathleen Edwards, the Old 97s and many, many others but it tends to fall well outside the mainstream. If you like that type of music I strongly suggest checking out the No Depression website. The magazine folded last year but has transformed into a bi-annual "bookazine". The website is very timely and stays on top of all of the latest releases and live shows.

I also agree about Mojo but I think Rolling Stone still has some good articles on occasion. Funny thing about Rolling Stone, it seems to be everyone's favorite whipping boy until they heap praise on their favorite artist/group then suddenly they are deemed worthy.

Thanks for the link. I do like Rolling Stone from time to time, but yes to be honest, I am guilty of complaining about it too sometimes until they put someone I like on the cover, LOL!!

Archived