Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

Agreed, I would take them with Mick Taylor over Ron Wood any day. I know Taylor is a good lead player, but I was surprised to see on 'Gimme Shelter' that he was holding down a lot of rhythm, playing the riffs behind Keith (I'm no Stones expert, so I don't know who plays what like some others here probably do). And the songs sounded so much heavier with his big chunky chords churning in the songs. One of the best things about the song Gimme Shelter is the chords, it gives it that ominous heavy sound. But when you hear a modern concert version with Wood on guitar, those chords are missing, because he and Keith are both noodling leads throughout the song. They both do that "basketweaving" thing where they're both playing lead, but no one is holding down the main riff like Taylor did...

Just my 2 cents.

Those are some pretty valuable cents. B)

During the early Taylor years, Mick was pretty much a backup for Keith, who had always been the lead guitarist. But by the time they got to the early 70's, they pretty much switched roles. By 1972, Mick was ripping the place apart with his amazing lead work. Keef still got in a few leads of course, but it was Taylor that would just leave you in a trance onstage.

Now with that said, some songs still featured Keith on lead. "Bitch" is a prime example of Mick's chainsaw rhythm, with Keith playing some unusually tasty lead. Basketweaving is for old ladies. Mick T. and Keith had it right. Damn.

Rock Action, if I had to pick my favorite Stones lead dual of all time its the one on Ya Yas in Sympathy for the Devil. Love Carol on there too. Bitch is a great old one too-love it. Does Keith play the main rythm in it? I havent thought of it or tried to play it myself on guitar in years-cant remember,. I think its single notes followed by a couple of chords but cant remember the key. I dont have Sticky Fingers any more (need to get it again), I think its on Sticky Fingers?

That's Mick T. playing that awesome rhythm on Bitch. Keef plays those lead licks.

You've got the right album. And Bitch is in the key of A. Our band plays it regularly, it's a blast to play. :D

Thanks. Ill look up the tab if I cant figure it out by ear. I cant play the guitar for 3 weeks as I just got out of the hospital with cervical surgery. Nothing major but they told me not to drive, play, etc. It always seems that everything I truly love was always played by Taylor. But the oldies were great too, even though it wasnt really instrumentals that made them. just imagine, Satisfaction could be played by anyone that never picked up a guitar before and it is usually rated as the second best song ever made behinkd Stairway. (on many radio stations around here anyway) Old songs like Paint It Black and Under my Thumb and Get off of my Cloud are timeless hits. Great song writing like old Beatles stuff, even though not great instrumentally.

I loved the Jones-era Stones too, though the Taylor years are clearly my favorite. Every time I hear Under My Thumb my feets get to tappin'. :D

That older material IS much easier to play, that's for sure. But it's still FUN.

Take it easy, hope all goes well for you on that surgery. The guitar will still be there waiting. :)

I think there needs to be some respect shown for one of their least celebrated titles....

Their_Satanic_Maj.RollingStones.jpg

This gets dissed repeatedly by fans who claim they left their rocknroll traditions at home. Well I for one like this greatly...I loved how, after sitting at the feet of Paul McCartney during the Sgt. Pepper sessions, Mick Jagger took this influence and did a Stones 'psychedelic' album.

2000 Light Years from home, Dandelion, We Love You, The Gompus !! I love 'em....Plus the original cover was that 3d type of thingy....Hail, Hail psychedelia !!!

So whadaya say naysayers ? Can you appreciate and show some respect ? :)

I totally concur!!! This psychedelic album has been snobbed way too much for my liking!!!

SHOW SOME RESPECT for the RS and psychedelic music.....'tis about time!! :)

I'd like to say something about A Bigger Bang and Sweet Neo Con. The RS wrote some of the BEST songs in rock history and SNC is NO EXCEPTION!! Sorry for all the RIGHT-WING/ CON sympathizers, but the boys DID stuff it up their a**es with this one....GOOD ON YA BOYS...that's how it's supposed to be!!!!!

What bugs me more though is why a band with average age of 60/65 wrote such a HUGE song like that and not a new rock band out there......I guess the new gen doesn't wanna let it all hang out like the RS!!!! :)....go figure!

SWEET NEO CON

(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

You call yourself a Christian

I think that you're a hypocrite

You say you are a patriot

I think that you're a crock of shit

And listen, I love gasoline

I drink it every day

But it's getting very pricey

And who is going to pay

How come you're so wrong

My sweet neo con.... Yeah

It's liberty for all

'Cause democracy's our style

Unless you are against us

Then it's prison without trial

But one thing that is certain

Life is good at Haliburton

If you're really so astute

You should invest at Brown & Root.... Yeah

How come you're so wrong

My sweet neo con

If you turn out right

I'll eat my hat tonight

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah....

It's getting very scary

Yes, I'm frightened out of my wits

There's bombers in my bedroom

Yeah and it's giving me the shits

We must have loads more bases

To protect us from our foes

Who needs these foolish friendships

We're going it alone

How come you're so wrong

My sweet neo con

Where's the money gone

In the Pentagon

Yeah ha ha ha

Yeah, well, well

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...

Edited by dragster

I'd like to say something about A Bigger Bang and Sweet Neo Con. The RS wrote some of the BEST songs in rock history and SNC is NO EXCEPTION!! Sorry for all the RIGHT-WING/ CON sympathizers, but the boys DID stuff it up their a**es with this one....GOOD ON YA BOYS...that's how it's supposed to be!!!!!

What bugs me more though is why a band with average age of 60/65 wrote such a HUGE song like that and not a new rock band out there......I guess the new gen doesn't wanna let it all hang out like the RS!!!! :)....go figure!

I realize they're far from everyone's favorites but Green Day did an entire album that spoke out against the war called American Idiot. There have also been other performers (both old and new) that have cut anti-war songs but in today's musical climate it's hard to get those songs on the radio but they're definitely out there.

I realize they're far from everyone's favorites but Green Day did an entire album that spoke out against the war called American Idiot. There have also been other performers (both old and new) that have cut anti-war songs but in today's musical climate it's hard to get those songs on the radio but they're definitely out there.

Yeah, but radio's not the only thing out there in th Ks......more of those bands should be on Myspace, etc. too!! :)

Yeah, but radio's not the only thing out there in th Ks......more of those bands should be on Myspace, etc. too!! :)

Despite the public perception of MySpace it's not just emo type bands aimed at teens, pretty much every artist out there (even the biggest and most well known) have a MySpace site. It's just the way of things in this day and age. I don't have a MySpace site myself (nor do I ever intend to) but it is an easy way of checking out bands.

The Stones fucking ruled, but I can only listen to them in small doses. I think it's Jagger.

If they would've, liked died in 1978 they would've been flawless.

All joking aside, of course, but I haven't really gave a shit about their material of the last, um, 30 years or so. But it's nice to see them still touring and recording and shit, I guess. At least they're out promoting new albums while they tour, unlike The Eagles who've been doing it for like 15 years until they released that recent turd of an album.

The Stones fucking ruled, but I can only listen to them in small doses. I think it's Jagger.

If they would've, liked died in 1978 they would've been flawless.

All joking aside, of course, but I haven't really gave a shit about their material of the last, um, 30 years or so. But it's nice to see them still touring and recording and shit, I guess. At least they're out promoting new albums while they tour, unlike The Eagles who've been doing it for like 15 years until they released that recent turd of an album.

I haven't heard the Eagles album you mentioned here, but it looks like they wimped out????

That's real sad from the guys who did Witchy Woman, Desperado, Hotel California, etc. etc. ! :(

Can't say I ever liked any of those songs other than maybe Desperado but they've all since worn out their welcome due to overplay on Classic Rock radio. Of course that isn't The Eagles' fault but most of their material was never anything more than MOR to start with, at least to my ears.

wal-mart? well that´s kinda weird.

Yes, it is, especially considering Henley's past stance on corporate behemoths. Then again, you have to remember this is the same band that paved the way for $100 tickets for your last chance to see them (for which they then proceeded to tour for the next 11 years). Just how many times can Hell freeze over? Apparently not enough for Mr. Henley and his cohorts.

Yes, it is, especially considering Henley's past stance on corporate behemoths. Then again, you have to remember this is the same band that paved the way for $100 tickets for your last chance to see them (for which they then proceeded to tour for the next 11 years). Just how many times can Hell freeze over? Apparently not enough for Mr. Henley and his cohorts.

I certainly think the Eagles are a great band. They have proved that and are big whether you want to admit it or not. You dont like them fine. I dont like Elvis and many of the other bands, some of which ive never heard of on your list. But their songs are big hits whether you want to admit it or not. And they had little trouble getting the $100 a ticket. In fact I think it was $175 for the best seats in Buffalo where I saw them last in 03.

I certainly think the Eagles are a great band. They have proved that and are big whether you want to admit it or not. You dont like them fine. I dont like Elvis and many of the other bands, some of which ive never heard of on your list. But their songs are big hits whether you want to admit it or not. And they had little trouble getting the $100 a ticket. In fact I think it was $175 for the best seats in Buffalo where I saw them last in 03.

You need to do a much better job of reading my posts before replying because you have a very bad habit of saying things I never once stated in them. For instance, I never said they weren't "big" or that they didn't have "hits". I merely stated why I personally don't care for the majority of their work and called Henley on his hypocrisy. No, they may not have had any trouble moving tix but that doesn't justify the high price. The whole idea was that the Hell Freezes Over Tour would be your last chance to seem. Well, as we all know Henley continued to milk that premise for all it was worth and toured for the next ten fucking years. They should have at least lowered ticket prices when they decided they were actually going to stick around for a while. Even Page & Plant made a point of keeping ticket prices down during the Unledded Tour as a direct response to the Eagles charging too fucking much when they very well could have charged just as much (if not more). That's artistic intergrity, what the Eagles were doing (and continue to do) is corporate greed, the very kind Henley himself used to rail against, that's why I have no problem whatsoever calling him a hypocrite. I still don't mind some of their music but when they made it safe for any band under the sun to reunite and charge $100 and up for it, that's when my opinion of Henley changed. He always struck me as a bit of a pompous asshole but that proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

You need to do a much better job of reading my posts before replying because you have a very bad habit of saying things I never once stated in them. For instance, I never said they weren't "big" or that they didn't have "hits". I merely stated why I personally don't care for the majority of their work and called Henley on his hypocrisy. No, they may not have had any trouble moving tix but that doesn't justify the high price. The whole idea was that the Hell Freezes Over Tour would be your last chance to seem. Well, as we all know Henley continued to milk that premise for all it was worth and toured for the next ten fucking years. They should have at least lowered ticket prices when they decided they were actually going to stick around for a while. Even Page & Plant made a point of keeping ticket prices down during the Unledded Tour as a direct response to the Eagles charging too fucking much when they very well could have charged just as much (if not more). That's artistic intergrity, what the Eagles were doing (and continue to do) is corporate greed, the very kind Henley himself used to rail against, that's why I have no problem whatsoever calling him a hypocrite. I still don't mind some of their music but when they made it safe for any band under the sun to reunite and charge $100 and up for it, that's when my opinion of Henley changed. He always struck me as a bit of a pompous asshole but that proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

But then again look what some of these nobody bands are charging. Some of these bands that are not anywhere close to the Eagles are charging too much. Cant wait to see what a Led Zeppelin ticket will cost me when they hit the States. (I am a believer that they will). Im sure the cheap seats will be $150 and the good ones $250 or more. And they will get it in a heartbeat. I have heard that the Eagles are touring this summer. dont know for sure. I guess Ill put you on the list of not attending. Perhaps Henley is greedy but so is Pink Floyd while we are on the subject. I dont think it is right, but I still think Henley is a great talent-great singer. Also dont like the shit they pulled on Don Felder-was not a good move.

They more or less kicked him out of the band. Screwed him over big time. I guess they felt that Walsh and Frey could handle all the guitar playing. They gave him a raw deal. I think he took them to court over some money too.

<_<

Don Felder is a very good guitarist. Frey is nothing special. WTF were they thinking?

But then again look what some of these nobody bands are charging. Some of these bands that are not anywhere close to the Eagles are charging too much. Cant wait to see what a Led Zeppelin ticket will cost me when they hit the States. (I am a believer that they will). Im sure the cheap seats will be $150 and the good ones $250 or more. And they will get it in a heartbeat. I have heard that the Eagles are touring this summer. dont know for sure. I guess Ill put you on the list of not attending. Perhaps Henley is greedy but so is Pink Floyd while we are on the subject. I dont think it is right, but I still think Henley is a great talent-great singer. Also dont like the shit they pulled on Don Felder-was not a good move.

I guess it depends on how you define "nobody" bands. From your posts you don't seem to be too knowledgable of anyone outside the mainstream so I'm not sure how you define it. You also have to factor in an ailing music industry which just so happens to trickle down to the concert industry in general, then you have to figure in inflation. The days of $17 concert tix are well over and have been for quite sometime. On the flipside you have artists such as Pearl Jam who have actually made an effort to fight the industry and continue to do all they can to keep ticket prices down but they're very clearly in the minority.

Actually I think Frey is better than many give him credit for. Him and Walsh in Hotel California-that classic lead-are great., I actually rate it as the second best guitar solo of all time behind Stairway. Based on pure feeling.

The famous solo is actually Walsh/Felder, not Frey.