How to know about your shows?

Bozoso73

Ive been a life long fan living in Phoenix my whole life.  Getting any - and I mean ANY - kind of bootleg Zep was improbable. . not impossible.  I had soo little live stuff I figured I'd really never have bootlegs.  After finding "The year of LZ" I put a couple thousand hours into research, bidding and buying shows I knew would be worth spending on EVSD and Tarantura prices (worth it of course), begging overseas friends to loot their stash and give me shows (THX ROB!) , and listening to every show 2-5 times on endless loop. 

I have come to the conclusion that I have the best 143 shows out there. I have a couple different versions of a couple shows and after listening to 9/29/71s 2 versions I realized one was better than the other.  My question is how can you tell if your version is great compared to others?  Is there a gold standard out there?  If Im looking for the best of the best is there really a way to find out if this Wendy version is a 2nd gen compared to TMOQ 5 gen?? Do I really have to be Black Beauty to have all the best stuff? 

Anyways,  Happy Holidays ZepHeads   

Since this is all subjective, it really just comes down to your preference. Whatever your ears tell you is best is what is going to be best.

I remember reading Luis Rey's book and being at odds with at least 30% of what he said...some shows he raved about I felt were lacking and with certain shows he drubbed I thought he was crazy.

That's when I realized everybody's ears are different...we hear things differently. Especially when it comes to live bootlegs. Some people have 'bootleg ears'. Others need professionally mixed and recorded audio...or soundboard at the very least.

If you really must have silver disc sets with pretty artwork and packaging then collectorsmusicreviews.com is a good resource for up to date comparisons. Downloading lossless shows from trading sites is much more economical than shelling out $$$ for silver disc releases. In many cases the fan made releases are better than the silvers , and often times EV, godfather, tarantula etal simply rip and burn what is freely available for download on a torrent site.  Sorry if I'm stating the obvious . You can also check out bootledz for comparisons, though generally not a good resource for critical comparison, and argenteumastrum. 

Archived