Switching Amps and other Guitar Gear

frankb

Hi, I have been playing about a year and basically just a bedroom guitarist. I currently own a MIM strat with a Fender Frontman 25R amp. I am getting a bit bored and was looking around and was thinking about upgrading my amp to the VOX Valvetronix amp as it sounds like it has a great sound and a lot of options from what I read. I would try to sell my current amp for $100-120 to offset the cost of a 15watt Vox (saw $200 on Musicicans Friend). Basically, I'm just asking whether its worth the trouble to go through.

Also, since I am obviously a Jimmy Page fan, I have been really wanting to grab an epiphone Les Paul to mess around on and just check things like craigslist periodically. I recently noticed this ad http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1062300839.html and was wondering what you guys thought about it (I know its hard without hearing it)

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have been playing about a year and basically just a bedroom guitarist. I currently own a MIM strat with a Fender Frontman 25R amp. I am getting a bit bored and was looking around and was thinking about upgrading my amp to the VOX Valvetronix amp as it sounds like it has a great sound and a lot of options from what I read. I would try to sell my current amp for $100-120 to offset the cost of a 15watt Vox (saw $200 on Musicicans Friend). Basically, I'm just asking whether its worth the trouble to go through.

Also, since I am obviously a Jimmy Page fan, I have been really wanting to grab an epiphone Les Paul to mess around on and just check things like craigslist periodically. I recently noticed this ad http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1062300839.html and was wondering what you guys thought about it (I know its hard without hearing it)

Thanks in advance.

Why get another beginner amp? If you just hate playin through the Fender, trade it.

If you are wanting to upgrade your amp to somethin that sounds better, you would be better off saving a bit more money and goin the tube amp route.

Don't bother lookin at the Marshall mg's. They aren't really that great and there are ALOT of better amps for the money.

Also..........

budget?

what are you really lookin for in an amp? is it just for practice? gigging? jamming with buddies?

I don't hate my current amp, I just wanted something with a bit more diversity and after looking through some websites, I saw the vox amp and it seemed like a good idea. Budget-wise I am not looking for anything more than roughly $250. I plan on trading in/selling the Frontman if I do get a new one though. Also, it will mostly just be for bedroom use/jamming with friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I do play mostly blues/rock so one of those pedals probably wouldve been a good idea. I ended up scrapping both of those ideas though and ended up buying a line 6 podxt last night. I've been wanting to record a bit so it gives me that option, while also a lot of toys to play around with. I know its not the real thing, but I got it very cheap off craigslist, so we'll see how it goes when I pick it up. Actually sold my amp anyways and will just play with headphones/speakers for the near future since its usually just by myself. Thanks for the input though guys!

Archived