The 1972 Drone...

Strider

After being knocked out by hearing the 1972 Tuscon show, I've got a craving for more 1972 shows.

I've got two of the Australian shows, 2.19 and 2.27, and they're terrific, if sadly incomplete.

I've also got one 1972 Japan show on vinyl("My Brain Hurts")...again only a partial show.

More importantly they are missing the drone that Zeppelin used to introduce the band on the 1972 US summer tour concerts...or at least they used a drone on the LA, Long Beach and Tuscon shows.

I remember going to the LA shows and being mesmorized by that introductory drone that went on for 5, maybe even 10 minutes or so...time seemed to stop as you listened.

My boot of the June 25, 1972 show only has a minute and a half of the drone. Unfortunately, the "Get Back" Tuscon boot has even less, around 45 seconds.

I REALLY LOVED that drone and would like to hear more. You can't imagine what it felt like to be a 10-year-old boy in the LA Forum that night of June 25, 1972, anxiously awaiting my first Led Zeppelin concert and hearing that music come on and being caught up in that swirl of sound...my unbearable anticipation being heightened by the drama that drone created as the minutes ticked by, wondering when the band was coming on, then the fever pitch of excitement of the audience as the taller people around me spotted the band coming on stage and then the sudden wallop that hit you as the band exploded into Immigrant Song!

There are few things, if any, better than sex...but that moment might have been one of them.

So hear is my question(s):

Was the drone used at every concert on the 1972 US tour? Was it used on any other 1972 tours: Japan? UK?

Are there any boots out there that have the complete drone, or at least more than the 1 and one-half minutes of "Burn That Candle"? Which boot has the longest drone available?

Even if it is just 3 or 5 minutes, that would be cool.

Thanks for any helpful info anyone can provide.

So hear is my question(s):

Was the drone used at every concert on the 1972 US tour? Was it used on any other 1972 tours: Japan? UK?

Are there any boots out there that have the complete drone, or at least more than the 1 and one-half minutes of "Burn That Candle"? Which boot has the longest drone available?

Even if it is just 3 or 5 minutes, that would be cool.

Thanks for any helpful info anyone can provide.

All you ever wanted to know about the 1972 Drone, from a really cool Zep site:

http://ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbasewe...=229&sort=0

Looks like all 5 times they used it live are cut on the boot recordings in one way or another.

Thanks for that link cookieshoes...damn that's a shame nobody taped more of it.

I started taping shows in the 80's and I usually started my tape 5 minutes or so before listed show time just so I could make sure I would get the intro music...I also did it because the first two minutes or so on a cassette are susceptible to wow and flutter.

Still odd that they only used the drone for 5 shows, don't you think? Why wouldn't they have used it on the entire US tour?

Thanks for that link cookieshoes...damn that's a shame nobody taped more of it.

I started taping shows in the 80's and I usually started my tape 5 minutes or so before listed show time just so I could make sure I would get the intro music...I also did it because the first two minutes or so on a cassette are susceptible to wow and flutter.

Still odd that they only used the drone for 5 shows, don't you think? Why wouldn't they have used it on the entire US tour?

Hey Strider, cant help u with longer recordings of the LZ 1972 drone, but it´s my guess they took a lot of inspiration for this (and also for the very first seconds of " In The Light") from Hindustani (North Indian) raga music.

maybe jimmy, who´s always turned on by ethnic music brought some recording back from their trip to bombay and jpj spiced it up a bit with a synth sound, as the drone sounds a lot like an indian Tanpura (also called Tamboura), plus a little extra noise in there to me.

do check this site for some good Tanpura downloads of longer than a few seconds. you will get a few real long ones here - hope u like..

The Drone is known as the "Akashwani" Drone (spiritual/meditative sound) throughout India.....

- All India Radio Station would broadcast the Akashwani Drone in 60's -70's at least, from anywhere couple minutes to half an hour and then slowly move toward Broadcasting Order of the Day.....

...addendum: The Original located now, here...

The Zep Drone....All India Radio Original Tune.....

http://www.ceveni.com/2009/05/all-india-ra...rning-tune.html

Here is the Very short clip of Original Drone (very rare to find) the time Zep visited India early 70's from background of Film -** Bonus, You get to watch "Kashmir")

(Starts at .20 sec. approx.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ET_KuW4ul8...feature=related

Updated Version

...very nostalgic...the Drone would be all I hear coming from rows of houses as there were no TV's.........

The Drone is known as the "Akashwani" Drone (spiritual/meditative sound) throughout India.....

- All India Radio Station would broadcast the Akashwani Drone in 60's -70's at least, from anywhere couple minutes to half an hour and then slowly move toward Broadcasting Order of the Day.....

Here is the Very short clip of Original Drone (very rare to find) the time Zep visited India early 70's from background of Film -** Bonus, You get to watch "Kashmir")

(Starts at .20 sec. approx.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ET_KuW4ul8...feature=related

Updated Version

...very nostalgic...the Drone would be all I hear coming from rows of houses as there were no TV's.........

Cool sheep on the moonscape!

Archived