Two Questions

frankb

First off what key is Ten Years Gone in, specifically what is he doing during the solo? It seems like its in D and it seems hes using the 2nd D "blues box" for some of it, but a lot I can't figure out where alot of its coming from.

Also in The Rover what chords is he playing during the part that starts at 2:37? The 2nd one I think is in E chord at 7th fret sliding down, but I can't figure out what the one before it is...The duh duhna duh...

Thanks for the help.

First off what key is Ten Years Gone in, specifically what is he doing during the solo? It seems like its in D and it seems hes using the 2nd D "blues box" for some of it, but a lot I can't figure out where alot of its coming from.

Also in The Rover what chords is he playing during the part that starts at 2:37? The 2nd one I think is in E chord at 7th fret sliding down, but I can't figure out what the one before it is...The duh duhna duh...

Thanks for the help.

Ten Years is in Dropped D Tuning:

DADGBE (I have heard a bloke play it in DADGBD too, a little different but difficult).

Sorry I can't help with the second Q.

Ha ya, listened to that ten years gone video before, its pretty cool. That guy playing the rover wasn't very good, but on the side links, I found this one

in which he plays that part around 2:15. Is he just playing a D triad on the 7th fret D G and B strings?

Also, I knew the tuning for TYG, but was wondering what key it was in, thanks though and DADGBD tuning would be interesting.

The Years Gone is in A. I've never bothered dropping the D, as it really doesn't come into play much. In fact I'd have to look for it in the song. It's all based around the A chord anyway, with a chromatic decent on the D string.

I assume the question regarding The Rover is about the chords that lead up to the solo? I don't play it like the guy in the YouTube vid. I do a three fingered F# on the 11th, 10th, 9th fret (G,B and E strings) down to an E major (same strings) on the 9th, 9th, and 7th fret. And let it slide.

I also found this in my Photobucket. Chords for the Ten Years Gone solo. Evcuse the chicken scratch! (Compensate for the dropped D if you feel it necessary)

tygchords.jpg

Cool, thanks a lot I'll give it a hack after I get off of work. I kind've thought that it was in A based off a lot of the chords, but the only way a lot of the solo made sense to me was to be D major/minor pentatonic...guess I'll take another look at it.

After watching a few more video's, I stumbled upon this one

In this the guys plays a regular D major chord, but theres a comment saying that its actually a major D7 chord, so its the D triad with a c# on the high E string thats played right before the solo. It appears thats what Jun's playing too after I took another look/listen, and it sounds pretty damn close. Just FYI as I think thats what I'm going to go with.

After watching a few more video's, I stumbled upon this one

In this the guys plays a regular D major chord, but theres a comment saying that its actually a major D7 chord, so its the D triad with a c# on the high E string thats played right before the solo. It appears thats what Jun's playing too after I took another look/listen, and it sounds pretty damn close. Just FYI as I think thats what I'm going to go with.

Well, I can't tell from the Youtuber's video but, I pulled out my trusty chord book and found Dmaj7 and played around with it for a min. and yes, I can hear the likeness.

Ya I based it off this comment on the last video I posted.

"Backing is loud. Hey, the D Maj is a Maj7 at the 9th fret, you can hear the high c# in the original.

Good stuff."

I also really like this solo a lot, never really listened to it that closely before i started to learn it, but its got some pretty cool parts to it. Not to mention he uses a C# minor scale which is the same as the E major scale (key of the song) which I found pretty cool since lately I've been trying to learn my modes using the relative major key thing.

Archived